Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Creating filters with Python on excel Post 302998047 by Corona688 on Wednesday 24th of May 2017 12:51:46 PM
Old 05-24-2017
There's an excellent Perl library for .xls spreadsheets (not xlsx afaik), SpreadSheet::ParseExcel. It can import, edit, and export. It's the usual thing used when UNIX scripts are forced to speak Microsoft. As a very rough cut to start with, perhaps:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use Spreadsheet::ParseExcel;

my $infile=shift || die("No input filename given");
my $outfile=shift || die("No output filename given");

my $e=new Spreadsheet::ParseExcel;
my $eBook = $e->Parse($filein);

my $sheet1=$eBook->{Worksheet}[0];
my $sheet2=$eBook->{Worksheet}[1];
my $row=0;

foreach my $row ($sheet1->{MinRow} .. $sheet1->{MaxRow}) {
        $sheet2->write_row(0, $row++, ["value1", "value2", "value3"]);
}

$eBook->SaveAs($outfile);

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

creating more than 2 excel sheets in C

Hi, I have a question about using C to write excel file. There is a way to write into a sheet into a file excel, like this: FILE * File; pMyFile = fopen("test.xls", "w+"); fprintf(File, "\n\n"); /* go to the row 2 of the column A*/ fprintf(File, "%s", "Hi pippo!"); /* write... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manceryder
7 Replies

2. HP-UX

Creating Excel Sheet in Hp-UX

Dear Members, How do I create an eqvivalant of Excel sheet in Hp-UX. Is there any application like the Microsoft Excel on HP-UX. How do I invoke it. Regards, PrasadKVS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KVSPRASAD
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in creating a shell script that filters the unwanted pattern

Kindly help, Suppose i am having a file that has got the following contents. Is there any way (eg. sed command) to remove the (*) (*any number) pattern. se.bas tulf.h (1) tuna.c (1) tunsim.c (1) tus.cpp (1) vp.c (1) vp.h (1) vpi. (1) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a Python script

I have this script written in csh which I would like to convert to something similar using python script so that I can do more calculations rather than using csh. set narg = $#argv while ($iarg < $narg) MATH iarg = $iarg + 1 set arg = $argv set opt = `echo $arg | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Creating a file to export into Excel

Hello, This is my first post so not sure what response I will get I do have a very small knowledge of UNIX used last over 10 years ago I have recently move over to an Apple IMAC I need to copy all my jpg files into excel Could someone please let me know if this is possible and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nacnud
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating excel file using perl

Hi , I am writing a simple excel file and want to create the file under say 'D:\Documents and Settings'. The problem with my code is it is writing in the same directory instead of the specified. Here is a sample code use Spreadsheet::WriteExcel; my $workbook =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daptal
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting specific Excel file tabs to CSV in Python

Hi list, This is probably something really simple, but I am not particularly familiar with Python so I thought I would ask as I know that python has an excel module. I have an excel document with multiple tabs of data and graphs. One of the tabs is just data which I require to have dumped to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert excel to csv in python date not display exactly

Hi, Anyone can help I am just converting the excel file to csv using python, I can get the conversion output but the date not display exactly. test.xlsx date format 167 1588 risks/SCS JP CAMPANA & CIE.pdf SCS JP CAMPANA & CIE 2 1 1 0 2015-03-16 16:56:25 167 1146 risks/AirBNB... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fspalero
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python with Regex and Excel

Hello I have a big excel file for Ticket Data Analysis. The idea is to make meaningful insight from Resolution Field. Now as people write whatever they feel like while resolving the ticket it makes quite a task. 1. They may or may not tag it with something like below within the resolution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: radioactive9
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating an excel file with filters using shell script.

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. I have made a script that can convert an excel file from cvs file. This excel file contains hundreds of records and i would like the reader to be able to filter. Is it possible to create an excel file with filters? or that functionality has not been... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marvin159875321
3 Replies
eBook-speaker(1)						Unix user's manual						  eBook-speaker(1)

NAME
eBook-speaker - read aloud eBooks using a software speech-synthesizer SYNOPSIS
eBook-speaker eBook_file [-l language] DESCRIPTION
eBook-speaker reads the specified eBook_file and uses espeak for output. A list of items on the eBook will appear. Press <ENTER> to start playing. When reading of an item has finished, eBook-speaker will play the next item and the cursor will automatically skip to that item, so that an attached braille-terminal will display the name of that item. OPTIONS
eBook_file Give an eBook_file as argument to eBook-speaker. Currently the EPUB format and the Microsoft Reader eBook format (lit) are sup- ported. -l language eBook-speaker tries to detect the language of the specified eBook. With this option the detected language can be overridden. By some eBooks this option is mandatory. SCREEN
The name and version of this program and the name of the author will be displayed left aligned at the top of the screen. The name of the current loaded book will be displayed right aligned. The second row of the screen will display the number of pages of the current loaded book (if any), the current selected level and the total number of levels, the current displayed screen and the total number of screens. The next rows will display the title of the item, the first page of the item within brackets (if there are pages) and the total number of phrases in this item. Items in higher levels will be indented. (Three spaces each level.) When "just playing this item" is active, a "J" will be viewed at the first column of that item. CONTROL KEYS
eBook-speaker recognizes the following keyboard-commands: cursor down move cursor to the next item cursor up move cursor to the previous item cursor right skip to next phrase cursor left skip to previous phrase page-down view next screen page-up view previous screen enter Start playing space pause/resume playing home play on normal speed / search for a label D decrease playing speed f find the currently playing item and place the cursor there g go to page number (if any) h or ? give this help j just play current item and place a "J" at the first column. l switch to next level L switch to previous level n search forewards N search backwards o select next output sound device p place a bookmark q quit eBook-speaker. The playing-point will be saved as bookmark. s stop playing U increase playing speed FILES
~/.eBook-speaker/ This directory contains the bookmarks. Each file has the name of the book and contains the name of the current item, the start- phrase of that item and the current level, each on a own line. ~/.eBook-speaker.rc This file contains the name of the desired audio device, the desired playing speed and the desired language. AUTHOR
Jos Lemmens <jos@jlemmens.nl> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C)2011 Jos Lemmens <jos@jlemmens.nl> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see the file COPYING); if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA 09 January 2013 eBook-speaker(1)