Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Swap memory usage keeps increasing. Post 302998039 by Peasant on Wednesday 24th of May 2017 12:03:23 PM
Old 05-24-2017
From what you have posted, during the time you executed those commands there was no swapping.
But, your system did swap some period of time, hence the metrics.

Considering the cached column in your output, your system has cached 29 GB of data in memory.

For your output i can see you are running databases, is this Oracle ASM or filesystems in question ?

If you are running Oracle ASM, i would recommend tuning the kernel file system caching parameters and some others if required.

Here is a nice link :
https://access.redhat.com/sites/defa...hel6_1.2_1.pdf

The swappiness parameters is most important to notice in the document and apply to your environment.

If filesystems are in question, it would be required to pinpoint the specific time of memory starvation using metrics from cron and reports from users.
The kernel tuning if you are using filesystems should be done differently, since your database / system benefits greatly from memory for read io.
Read doesn't hit disks so often, so they have more time to service write request and repopulating cache, making system faster.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

memory increasing on UNIX

hi, i'm writing a program that is running always... but, i have a problem that memory is increasing.. i want to know whether does stack size inscease or not, when program is running.. i don't know what is the cause stack or heap... i need some help.. :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: netfer
1 Replies

2. Programming

memory increasing

On Alpha True64 UNIX platform, we use "ps aux" command to display the process information, it also displays the %MEM,VSZ, RRS field. The question is that which field really indicates the program's memeory is increasing, thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Increasing swap size

We increased our server's RAM 8 -> 32 GB RAM. swap memory is currently 10 GB. With which command I can increase this memory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akyuceisik
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

var memory usage increasing

Hi all Just a couple days ago my /var/ partition was at 63% now its shot up to 83%. I checked my log file sizes and they same ok # ls -l |more total 38820 -rw-r----- 1 root root 3754 Aug 1 19:26 acpid drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Aug 24 04:11 admserv -rw------- ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcraul
28 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increasing swap space

I searched the archives first, but found that there are alot of mixed answers on whether swap space can or can not be increased. Some postings said swap space can be increased using the swap or growfs commands while other postings said you can not increase the permanent size of the swap space. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kevin1166
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory usage per user,percent usage,sytem time in ksh

Let's say i have 20 users logged on Server. How can I know how much memory percent used each of them is using with system time in each user? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Swap memory usage is high in Linux

Hi , There is one following alert . Message : cdm:Average (2 samples) swap memory usage is now 91%, which is above the warning threshold (90%) Here is my findings. Output of TOP command in Linux server. top - 14:21:44 up 6 days, 4:48, 1 user, load average: 2.55, 2.06,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
3 Replies
swchunk(5)							File Formats Manual							swchunk(5)

NAME
swchunk - swap chunk size in 1 KB blocks VALUES
Default Allowed values blocks blocks DESCRIPTION
Swap space in the kernel is managed using 'chunks' of physical device space. These chunks contain one or more (usually more) pages of mem- ory, but provide another layer of indexing (similar to inodes in file systems) to keep the global swap table relatively small, as opposed to a large table indexed by swap page. controls the size in physical disk blocks (which are defined as 1 KB) for each chunk. The total bytes of swap space manageable by the sys- tem is * 1 KB * 2,147,483,648 (the system maximum number of swap chunks in the swap table). Note that the minimum (or default) value of therefore allows 4,096 TB of swap space. The way to think of is not as the size of the I/O transactions in the swap system (in disk blocks), but as the number of blocks that will be placed on one swap device (or file system) before moving to the next device (assuming all priorities are equal). This spreads the swap space over any devices and is called swap interleaving. Swap interleaving spreads out the swap over many devices and reduces the possibil- ity of one single device becoming a bottleneck for the entire system when swap usage is heavy. Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? This tunable should only be modified by those with a complete knowledge of both kernel behavior and underlying device hardware. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at the next reboot. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? If the system owner wishes to add more swap to the system, but the additional swap chunks needed are unavailable, raising this tunable will work around the problem. By increasing the size of each chunk, fewer total chunks are needed. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? The second level of the swap table (used to track pages within a chunk) will increase, resulting in more memory used by the kernel. If is being increased to allow for mapping of a larger swap space, increased memory usage by the kernel to track the swap space is unavoidable. This means that more swap is allocated to each device (or file system) using the round-robin interleaving scheme when all priorities are equal. Increasing when the number of chunks needed to represent the system swap space is less than 2,147,483,648 could hinder system per- formance by creating unneeded I/O bottlenecks. For example, two pages that were in different chunks using the smaller value which were previously on different swap devices and thus accessible independently of one another (with no read head or controller issues) are now on the same device and cannot be read concurrently, resulting in a longer access time for the second page. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? If the amount of swap space mappable by the system is much larger than the total amount of swap space which is attached (or going to be attached) to the system, which is calculable by multiplying 2,147,483,648 * 1 KB, then kernel memory usage can be reduced by lowering to fit the actual swap space. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? It may have to be raised back if more swap is added to the system and there is not enough room in the swap table to allow for the increased space. If this is not the case, then there is a finer grain of interleaving on the system (assuming there is more than one swap device) that can provide a performance gain under heavy swap usage. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? A change to is independent of any other tunables. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters swchunk(5)