Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to write a UNIX script to send a mail to the respective individual users about their groups? Post 302997819 by Don Cragun on Saturday 20th of May 2017 02:57:53 AM
Old 05-20-2017
For something that would be more portable to a system where the groups utility only accepts one operand, the user database on your system is kept in the file /etc/passwd (which is not always true), and assuming that every user has a mail account with their login name as their mail address on that machine (which is not always true), you could also try:
Code:
cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd | while read user
do	echo "Mailing to $user"
	groups "$user" | mail -s "$user's groups" "$user"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send mail to multiple users ???

Hi All, How to send mails to multiple users using a single mailx command. Urgently require help Thanks in advance Rgds Arunava (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunava_maity
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send a mail in UNIX

Hi, I need to write one unix script gor sending a mail notification. I have to pass the followinf as arguments,from ,to,subject,messege body Can i use mailx....Please provide the code Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Req the mail send from unix script

Hi , I want to send mail in my script when i am not a super user. Can some one help me on that .. Regards, Balamani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamani
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to send mail from unix??

Hi all, I wrote a shell script to send a mail, it is not showing any errors but i didn't receive any mail #!/bin/ksh . ./set_mail_details.ksh echo 'In script' subject=$1 echo '\nsubject' echo $1 echo "$subject" | sed 's/~/ /g' | read sub body_of_email=$2 echo '\nBody' echo $2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepaknbk
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix script to check if rsh to box and send status mail

rshstatus=`rsh -n lilo /db/p2/oracle/names9208/restart_names.sh` if $rshstatus <>0 then errstatus=1 mailx -s "xirsol8dr" ordba@xxx.com >> $log_dr else if errstatus=0 echo "status to xirsol8dr successful" can anyone provide if this is t he correct way to do this or is there a better way? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpm12
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out all users and their UNIX groups??

Is there a way to find out all users and the UNIX groups they belong to?? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send e-mail to users

Dear all, The perl script to send e-mail is working in my current script. #This part of the script will send the email notification my $to='mohamed.rahman@noridian.com'; my $from='xyz@hotmail.com'; my $subject='POS_CODES_38 DATA LOADED SUCCESSFULLY.'; my $message='The total no. of files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrahman
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send a mail to multiple users

I have a file 1.txt which has 3 mail ids as below: Maillist=abc@gmail.com def@gmail.com rcg@gmail.com Now I want to write a script which will read this file and send the mail to all the users present in this file. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get total number of users and their groups in remote UNIX machine

Hi All I am trying to do ssh to different server and on the remote server for each user trying to get groups of that user but i am not getting the required result. ssh username@ip_address "for i in $( cat /etc/passwd| cut -d: -f1);do groups $i done;exit" >>abc.txt only names are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ekamjot
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write this script:- check output word and send a mail?

Hi Guys, I am not Good at scripting. I need to write a script such that if output of command shows the particular word in output then send mail to abc@compay.com -bash-3.2$ ps -ef | grep bpbkar root 6040 1 0 13:05:19 ? 0:00 bpbkar -r 2678400 -ru root -dt 47395 -to 0... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
20 Replies
groups(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						groups(1B)

NAME
groups - display a user's group memberships SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/groups [user]... DESCRIPTION
With no arguments, groups displays the groups to which you belong; else it displays the groups to which the user belongs. Each user belongs to a group specified in the password file /etc/passwd and possibly to other groups as specified in the file /etc/group. If you do not own a file but belong to the group which it is owned by then you are granted group access to the file. FILES
/etc/passwd /etc/group ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getgroups(2), attributes(5) NOTES
This command is obsolete. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 groups(1B)