Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How can I check actual memory usage each Process? Post 302997737 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 18th of May 2017 04:14:10 PM
Old 05-18-2017
This is how you can identify memory growth per process
Code:
ps -eo pid,user,rss,vsz,stime,args | cut -c-200 | sort -k3n | tail -50 > mem1

The file mem1 contains the pid and rss and vsz values.
After a couple of minutes do it again but this time to file mem2
Code:
ps -eo pid,user,rss,vsz,stime,args | cut -c-200 | sort -k3n | tail -50 > mem2

Now you can compare mem1 and mem2.
A helpful command is
Code:
awk 'BEGIN {print "growth  pid  user  rss  vsz  stime  args"} NR==FNR {s[$1]=$3+$4; next} (($1 in s) && $3+$4>s[$1]) {print "+"$3+$4-s[$1],$0}' mem1 mem2

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to use ioctl to check out memory usage

Hi all, I tried to output memory usage information while the process is executing at a particular time. I found out some people suggesting calling the ioctl. I followed it and wrote a test example: #include <unistd.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <iostream.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanchen
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to restrict memory usage by a process

we are running red hat ES4 and i would like to know if there is anyway of restrcting the maximum amount of memory that a process can get? I have a single preocess that is taking >13GB. Thanks, Frank (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory usage of a process

hi all, i want to write a script that checks the memory usage of processes and send a mail with the name of the process witch is using more then 300mb RAM. dose anybody have a sample script or an idea how i can make it ? PROCCESSES="snmpd sendmail" for myVar in $PROCCESSES do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafil
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

how could I get a process Memory Usage

I use pstat API to get Process Infomation I would like to get a process 1.process owner 2.how many physical memory and virtual memory and total memory used(KB) and usage(%) 3.a process excution file create time 4.a process excution file access time I do't know which attribute it i need ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

collecting memory usage by a process

Hi Guys, I work on a AIX environment and I'm trying to write a script where I can collect all the memory used by a process. Basically I'm executing the command 'ps -fu userid' to get all the process ids and then executing the 'ps v PID' to get all the memory allocated by PPID. My question is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
2 Replies

6. Linux

how to check memory usage ?

hello, I have purchased VPS from one webhosting company. VPS comes with Virtuozzo power panel. It has 512MB gurranted RAM and dynamic RAM 2048 MB. I have hosted single domain with 50MB database and wordpress installation. But I am getting resource alerts. It goes sometime in yellow... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrugesh78
8 Replies

7. AIX

Problem with nmon, actual CPU usage per process

Hi all, I am currently having trouble to get nmon to print me the actual CPU usage for an interval for a process. According to the manual, something like # time nmon -t -C cron -s 5 -c 2 -F outfile real 0m0.98s user 0m0.03s sys 0m0.04s should print out at least the process... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
15 Replies

8. Solaris

Memory Usage check

Hello Friends, I need to check memory usage & availability before I could run a program if there is enough memory is left or not, so how could i achieve this? Which command output i should rely on? I have diplayed outputs of SAR, VMstat and PRstat commands below, But how could i check memory... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Process memory usage

hi all gurus: I want to find out Solaris process memory usage, but got a bit confused, see if any one can provide me some guidance. i tend to use prstat -a to get total memory consumption by user (I know prstat likely have a bug that simply sum up the memory, regardless if the memory being... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oakville
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Find memory usage for a process

I have multiple oracle databases on one server. All the database are running from the same user i.e. oraent. The process for each database can be distinguished by the ps -ef command Eg : ps -ef | grep oraentThe Output : oraent 5361 1 0 20:58:05 ? 0:00 oracledb1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashreads
11 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)