Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Pure C function pointer on printing vowels twice Post 302997639 by Corona688 on Wednesday 17th of May 2017 03:49:42 PM
Old 05-17-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifangt
The return value is EOF or a single vowel, which is the first part bugging me.

Does that mean in if (putchar(c) == EOF || putchar(c) == EOF) , function putchar(c) gets actually executed twice?
Yes. To evaluate the expression, it has to call the function.

Quote:
I thought this line is just a condition
Slapping an if() around it doesn't change it. Would you expect this to print the values?

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) {
    printf("a") && printf("b");
}

Treat anything inside an if() the exact same way.

Quote:
Let me put my question in another way:
Is there another layer
No.

For C, the answer to this question is always "no".

With very specific exceptions - like atexit() - C will never call a function without being asked.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with function which reutrns pointer to a value

i have a function: char *pcCityIdToCountryName(ADMIN_DB_DATA *pstHEader, unit uiCityID) this returns a pointer to CountryName if cityId is given. to retrieve countryname i give: char *CountryName; CountryName = pcCityIdToCountryName(..................); but when i compile it is giving :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
5 Replies

2. Programming

Pure Virtual Function in C++

Dear All, Here I want to know why we put =0 in case of pure virtual function, why not =1, =2 or any thing else Please send me answer any one as soon as possible. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna_sicsr
1 Replies

3. Programming

How to return void function pointer

Hello all im trying to build function that will return void function pointer what is mean is ( not working ) the main function void * myClass::getFunction(int type){ if(type==1) return &myClass::Test1; if(type==2) return &myClass::Test2; } void myClass::Test1(){... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Programming

Function pointer to inline function ?

Hi. Problem: I have to parse the payload of a packet. The payload could be in Big Endian Format (network byte order) or little. That depends on a flag present in the header of the packet. Solution: A horrible solution could be to check for that flag everytime I have to read a field in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: emitrax
11 Replies

5. Programming

Function Returning Pointer

Hi guys. how a functions such fdopen, ... can return pointer? are these functions use static memory(variables)? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing pointer address

How can I print the memory address of a pointer using printf (or any other STDOUT functions?). I see in Linux its %p but not in unix, help? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
5 Replies

7. Programming

structure pointer array as function parameters

if i create an array of pointers to a structure "struct node" as: struct node *r; and create "n" number of "linked lists" and assign it to the various struct pointers r using some function with a return type as structure pointer as: r=multiplty(.......) /*some parameters*/ is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
2 Replies

8. Programming

Trivial doubt about C function pointer

Hi, In the below C code, #include <stdio.h> void print() { printf("Hello\n"); } int main() { void (*f)() = (void (*)()) print; f(); (*f)(); } I wonder, how the syntaxes "f()" and "(*f)()" are treated as same without any error? Is this an improvement or ANSI/ISO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting vowels in string. "Comparison pointer-integer".

I'm trying to write a programme which scans strings to find how many vowels they contain. I get an error saying that I'm trying to compare a pointer and an integer inif(*v == scanme){. How can I overcome this ? Also, the programme seems to scan only the first word of a string e.g.: if I type "abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fakuse
1 Replies

10. Programming

Segmentation fault when I pass a char pointer to a function in C.

I am passing a char* to the function "reverse" and when I execute it with gdb I get: Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x000000000040083b in reverse (s=0x400b2b "hello") at pointersExample.c:72 72 *q = *p; Attached is the source code. I do not understand why... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jose_spain
9 Replies
pure-mrtginfo(8)                                                     Pure-FTPd                                                    pure-mrtginfo(8)

NAME
pure-mrtginfo - provide an MRTG-graphable user count for ftpd SYNOPSIS
pure-mrtginfo [server port] DESCRIPTION
Pure-Mrtginfo counts the number of clients currently connected to ftpd(8) and output the format in a format graphable by MRTG. OPTIONS
server port : defaults to 21. FILES
/proc/net/tcp is used to count the connectiont to port 21. /proc/sys/kernel/hostname is used to get the fully qualified hostname. /proc/uptime is used to get the uptime. MRTG
MRTG is a really nice package for graphing router traffic. Mrtg can also graph other information is available via SNMP or by running a program such as pure-mrtginfo. The author of this program uses it to graph CPU load, /var usage etc., and naturally the number of users connected to his FTP servers. See http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/ for more information about MRTG. BUGS
This program only works on GNU/Linux systems yet. HOME PAGE
http://www.pureftpd.org/ AUTHOR AND LICENSE
Written by Arnt Gulbrandsen <agulbra@troll.no> and copyright 1995-2002 Troll Tech AS, Waldemar Thranes gate 98B, N-0175 Oslo, Norway, fax +47 22806380. Pure-FTPd (C)opyleft 2001-2011 by Frank DENIS <j at pureftpd dot org> and the Pure-FTPd team. Use, modification and distribution is allowed without limitation, warranty, or liability of any kind. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), pure-ftpd(8) pure-ftpwho(8) pure-mrtginfo(8) pure-uploadscript(8) pure-statsdecode(8) pure-pw(8) pure-quotacheck(8) pure-authd(8) RFC 959, RFC 2228, RFC 2389 and RFC 2428. Pure-FTPd Team 1.0.36 pure-mrtginfo(8)