Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How can I check actual memory usage each Process? Post 302997578 by tom8254 on Tuesday 16th of May 2017 09:22:22 PM
Old 05-16-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
What's your system? I can't make sense of your 'free' output. That "+/- buffers/cache" line is particularly baffling. If you have a lot of buffers, that's almost the opposite of being out of memory.
I typed PS -l as your guide but I got below result.

Code:
[root@ ~]# ps -l
F S   UID   PID  PPID  C PRI  NI ADDR SZ WCHAN  TTY          TIME CMD
4 S     0 26124 26085  0  76   0 - 25780 wait   pts/1    00:00:00 su
4 S     0 26125 26124  0  75   0 - 16519 wait   pts/1    00:00:00 bash
4 R     0 26227 26125  0  77   0 - 15877 -      pts/1    00:00:00 ps

the system is Redhat 5.5

Last edited by Don Cragun; 05-17-2017 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: Remove duplicated text.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to use ioctl to check out memory usage

Hi all, I tried to output memory usage information while the process is executing at a particular time. I found out some people suggesting calling the ioctl. I followed it and wrote a test example: #include <unistd.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <iostream.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanchen
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to restrict memory usage by a process

we are running red hat ES4 and i would like to know if there is anyway of restrcting the maximum amount of memory that a process can get? I have a single preocess that is taking >13GB. Thanks, Frank (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory usage of a process

hi all, i want to write a script that checks the memory usage of processes and send a mail with the name of the process witch is using more then 300mb RAM. dose anybody have a sample script or an idea how i can make it ? PROCCESSES="snmpd sendmail" for myVar in $PROCCESSES do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafil
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

how could I get a process Memory Usage

I use pstat API to get Process Infomation I would like to get a process 1.process owner 2.how many physical memory and virtual memory and total memory used(KB) and usage(%) 3.a process excution file create time 4.a process excution file access time I do't know which attribute it i need ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

collecting memory usage by a process

Hi Guys, I work on a AIX environment and I'm trying to write a script where I can collect all the memory used by a process. Basically I'm executing the command 'ps -fu userid' to get all the process ids and then executing the 'ps v PID' to get all the memory allocated by PPID. My question is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
2 Replies

6. Linux

how to check memory usage ?

hello, I have purchased VPS from one webhosting company. VPS comes with Virtuozzo power panel. It has 512MB gurranted RAM and dynamic RAM 2048 MB. I have hosted single domain with 50MB database and wordpress installation. But I am getting resource alerts. It goes sometime in yellow... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrugesh78
8 Replies

7. AIX

Problem with nmon, actual CPU usage per process

Hi all, I am currently having trouble to get nmon to print me the actual CPU usage for an interval for a process. According to the manual, something like # time nmon -t -C cron -s 5 -c 2 -F outfile real 0m0.98s user 0m0.03s sys 0m0.04s should print out at least the process... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
15 Replies

8. Solaris

Memory Usage check

Hello Friends, I need to check memory usage & availability before I could run a program if there is enough memory is left or not, so how could i achieve this? Which command output i should rely on? I have diplayed outputs of SAR, VMstat and PRstat commands below, But how could i check memory... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Process memory usage

hi all gurus: I want to find out Solaris process memory usage, but got a bit confused, see if any one can provide me some guidance. i tend to use prstat -a to get total memory consumption by user (I know prstat likely have a bug that simply sum up the memory, regardless if the memory being... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oakville
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Find memory usage for a process

I have multiple oracle databases on one server. All the database are running from the same user i.e. oraent. The process for each database can be distinguished by the ps -ef command Eg : ps -ef | grep oraentThe Output : oraent 5361 1 0 20:58:05 ? 0:00 oracledb1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashreads
11 Replies
PTS_SOURCE(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     PTS_SOURCE(1)

NAME
pts_source - Read pts commands from a file SYNOPSIS
pts source [-file] <file name> [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts so [-f] <file name> [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts source runs commands from a file as if they were typed in pts interactive mode. The command can be run from the command line or interactively. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts source command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
pts source takes the following options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command shows the output of each command in the file as if it were run normally. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of using pts source in a pts interactive session: % echo examine admin > /tmp/commands.txt % pts interactive pts> source /tmp/commands.txt Name: admin, id: 1, owner: system:administrators, creator: anonymous, membership: 2, flags: S----, group quota: 20. pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1), pts_quit(1), pts_sleep(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_SOURCE(1)