Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Search files between date ranges - Ctime usage Post 302997407 by Don Cragun on Friday 12th of May 2017 04:11:32 PM
Old 05-12-2017
You have a few issues that keep you from reaching your goal:
  1. Most filesystems do not keep track of when a file was created; the struct stat st_ctime field stores the timestamp of the last file status change. A file's status changes when a file is created, when a file's size changes (by truncating the contents of the file or by writing data to a position greater than the file's current size), or by changing the file's mode or access permissions.
  2. The find -ctime primary doesn't work on calendar dates; it works on multiple of 24 hours from the time you invoke find.
To find files whose last file contents modification time occurs on a given calendar date (or other period of time unrelated to when you invoke find), use touch to create one file with timestamps corresponding to the start time of your desired time period (startTimeFile in this example) and create another file with timestamps corresponding to the end time of your desired time period (endTimeFile) and then use:
Code:
find . -newer startTimeFile ! -newer endTimeFile

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command: various date ranges

Hi, I have writtena script that will recursivly go into subdirecotries and report out what files there are in there that have not been accessed over various date ranges. I do this using a number of find commands: find . -path './.snapshot' -prune -o -type f -atime -8 find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleIdiot
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search values between ranges in File1 within File2

Hi people, I have 2 files, one with a list of non consecutive ranges (File1.txt), where each range begins with the value in column 1 and finishes with the value in column 2 in the same line, as can be seen above. 215312581156279 215312581166279 215312582342558 215312582357758... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

date ranges

Hi, Please anyone help to achive this using perl or unix scripting . This is date in my table 20090224,based on the date need to check the files,If file exist for that date then increment by 1 for that date and check till max date 'i.e.20090301 and push those files . files1_20090224... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akil
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search on weblogic logs with date time ranges 2

Hi All, The developers want me to search and capture the weblogic log, you know this big logs of htmls. They want to me to have ranges on the date and time. Like from "2010-01-20 14:04:46,186" to "2010-01-20 15:00:12,490" I can only do this, cat /usr/local/bea/logs_prod1/debug.log |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

5. Linux

search on weblogic logs with date time ranges

Hi All, The developers want me to search and capture the weblogic log, you know this big logs of htmls. They want to me to have ranges on the date and time. Like from "2010-01-20 14:04:46,186" to "2010-01-20 15:00:12,490" I can only do this, cat /usr/local/bea/logs_prod1/debug.log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting files between specific date ranges in solaris

hi ! how can i get files in a directory between certain date ranges ? say all files created/modified between Jan24 - Jan31 thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliyesami
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search IP Address in list of ranges -- not working great

I have been struggling with a script to automate some security related activities. I have it pretty much working, all except the search. I have an input file formatted as such: 216.234.246.158 216.234.246.158 `` 24.249.221.22 24.249.221.200 `` 24.249.226.0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsunami4u
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search files with today date and files come anytime in between 10 pm to 1 am

Hi, i want to make script. In a directory everyday( exclude sat and sun) in between 10 pm to 1 am there are 2 files comes and when file comes it will mail us. Format for files is mentioned below. please help me on making this, and also have year end consider and if files come after 12 am it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
6 Replies

9. Programming

Derivation of values falling on date ranges

Hi Guys, I am having below tables used in oracle bal ID BALANCE BAL_DATE 1 -11.71 01-JAN-05 00.00.00 1 -405.71 02-JAN-05 00.00.00 1 -760.71 03-JAN-05 00.00.00 ref_table PRODUCT EFF_FROM_DATE EFF_TO_DATE TYPE MIN_AMT MAX_AMT CHARGE 12 01-JAN-05 00.00.00 01-JAN-06... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping the data between 2 date ranges

Hi There, Good Day !! I have txt file containing data in the below format. There are many lines, here i have mentioned for example. cat remo.txt 2/3/2017 file1 3/4/2016 file2 6/6/2015 file5 1/1/2018 file3 4/3/2014 file4 - - - I need to grep the file names for given date rage... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
11 Replies
TOUCH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  TOUCH(1)

NAME
touch -- change file access and modification times SYNOPSIS
touch [-A [-][[hh]mm]SS] [-achm] [-r file] [-t [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]] [-d YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:SS[.frac][tz]] file ... DESCRIPTION
The touch utility sets the modification and access times of files. If any file does not exist, it is created with default permissions. By default, touch changes both modification and access times. The -a and -m flags may be used to select the access time or the modification time individually. Selecting both is equivalent to the default. By default, the timestamps are set to the current time. The -d and -t flags explicitly specify a different time, and the -r flag specifies to set the times those of the specified file. The -A flag adjusts the values by a specified amount. The following options are available: -A Adjust the access and modification time stamps for the file by the specified value. This flag is intended for use in modifying files with incorrectly set time stamps. The argument is of the form ``[-][[hh]mm]SS'' where each pair of letters represents the following: - Make the adjustment negative: the new time stamp is set to be before the old one. hh The number of hours, from 00 to 99. mm The number of minutes, from 00 to 59. SS The number of seconds, from 00 to 59. The -A flag implies the -c flag: if any file specified does not exist, it will be silently ignored. -a Change the access time of the file. The modification time of the file is not changed unless the -m flag is also specified. -c Do not create the file if it does not exist. The touch utility does not treat this as an error. No error messages are displayed and the exit value is not affected. -d Change the access and modification times to the specified time instead of the current time of day. The argument is of the form ``YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:SS[.frac][tz]'' where the letters represent the following: YYYY The year. MM The month of the year, from 01 to 12. DD The day of the month, from 01 to 31. T The letter T or a space. hh The hour of the day, from 00 to 23. mm The minute of the hour, from 00 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 00 to 61. .frac An optional fraction, consisting of a period or a comma followed by one or more digits. The number of significant dig- its depends on the kernel configuration and the filesystem, and may be zero. tz An optional letter Z indicating the time is in UTC. Otherwise, the time is assumed to be in local time. -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the times of the link itself rather than the file that the link points to. Note that -h implies -c and thus will not create any new files. -m Change the modification time of the file. The access time of the file is not changed unless the -a flag is also specified. -r Use the access and modifications times from the specified file instead of the current time of day. -t Change the access and modification times to the specified time instead of the current time of day. The argument is of the form ``[[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]'' where each pair of letters represents the following: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). YY The second two digits of the year. If ``YY'' is specified, but ``CC'' is not, a value for ``YY'' between 69 and 99 results in a ``CC'' value of 19. Otherwise, a ``CC'' value of 20 is used. MM The month of the year, from 01 to 12. DD the day of the month, from 01 to 31. hh The hour of the day, from 00 to 23. mm The minute of the hour, from 00 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 00 to 61. If the ``CC'' and ``YY'' letter pairs are not specified, the values default to the current year. If the ``SS'' letter pair is not specified, the value defaults to 0. EXIT STATUS
The touch utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The obsolescent form of touch, where a time format is specified as the first argument, is supported. When no -r or -t option is specified, there are at least two arguments, and the first argument is a string of digits either eight or ten characters in length, the first argument is interpreted as a time specification of the form ``MMDDhhmm[YY]''. The ``MM'', ``DD'', ``hh'' and ``mm'' letter pairs are treated as their counterparts specified to the -t option. If the ``YY'' letter pair is in the range 39 to 99, the year is set to 1939 to 1999, otherwise, the year is set in the 21st century. SEE ALSO
utimes(2) STANDARDS
The touch utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification. HISTORY
A touch utility appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 10, 2012 BSD