Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking I would like to monitor network traffic for a computer on my network Post 302997320 by hicksd8 on Thursday 11th of May 2017 09:21:16 AM
Old 05-11-2017
For a PC running Linux with 2xNIC's I would suggest IPcop (Linux version).

For Raspberry Pi I would suggest IPfire (which is a IPcop fork).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring network traffic

there are commands to monitor the memory, paging, io... how about network traffic. i mean commands to see whether the network traffic (LAN) is congested? the closest i got is netstat thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

How to capture network traffic

Hi, Can someone give me the clue on how to capture network traffic at gateway. Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
2 Replies

3. Programming

Help in developing a Network Appliation to monitor pc in a network

I am developing a Network Appliation to monitor computers in a network. Specs are App monitors the current web page viewed in each system App also can shutdown the computer in the network App can show all process run by each computer in the network I am now confused how to start my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: valaparambil88
2 Replies

4. Infrastructure Monitoring

Network Traffic

Hi all, Got a strange one here, well not so much strange, different :-) I need to work out if a server is particulary chatty, whether its talking / communicating heavily to a particular server, as Im planning to physically move the server to a different server, over a link. Hence the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
6 Replies

5. HP-UX

Monitoring traffic in the network

I Colleagues, Somebody can say me how to monitoring traffic in the network. also I am interested in monitoring memory. if somebody to know a guide with command advanced in unix welcome for me. Thank you for adcanced. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to monitor network device traffic using MRTG?

How to monitor network device traffic using MRTG? How can I add network devices in MRTG configuration to monitor? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

While Connecting to Google networking. Error = Unusual traffic from your computer network.

Hello, I am working in office, where, more than 60 clients machines (only 16 machines are on windows) are there and one server Centos Server, I have configured clients with server, so that internet will be used form only one IP. Only 1 ip is assigned, but now a days, my client machines are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedRocks!!
2 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

How do I know what traffic is in network port?

If I would like to know what connection , data , traffic in a network port ( eth0 ) , what can I do ? ps. because I always found the network is very slow , so I would like what the network port is doing . Thanks Login ID ust3 is currently in read-only mode for multiple infractions. Creating... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust03
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to throttle network traffic?

Hi All I am resilience testing an application that is spread across multiple servers. One thing I will need to do soon is throttle the network traffic for specific interfaces within the test cluster. Specifically, maybe make a connection take twice or three times as long to respond.... I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbq
3 Replies
nifftmt(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						nifftmt(7)

NAME
nifftmt - Traffic monitoring for the Network Interface Failure Finder (NIFF) SYNOPSIS
#include <net/if.h> #include <sys/ioctl.h> DESCRIPTION
The NIFF traffic monitor thread checks the connectivity of network interfaces and issues events when it detects a change in an interface's connectivity. It does this by monitoring the interface's data counters and using the event management (EVM) framework to inform interested subscribers of connectivity-related events. Typically, the traffic monitor looks at a network interface's counters once every several seconds and issues an event based on what it determines from their value. There are two basic types of events. The first type occurs when an interface is added to the list of events already being monitored. In this case, the traffic monitor sends an event to indicate the interface is up and running. The other type of event occurs when the traffic monitor does not see any traffic coming into the interface for a period of time. The traffic monitor thread uses timing parameters to determine when to issue an event. TIMING PARAMETERS The timing parameters for the traffic monitor are passed to the NIFF traffic monitor thread using the ioctl(2) system call and the moni- tored_interface structure defined in the <net/if.h> file. See ioctl(2) for further information. The following lists the NIFF traffic monitor thread timing parameters: The name of an interface that is to be monitored. For example, tu0 and fta0. Specifies the time period, in seconds, that the traffic monitor thread delays between reads of the interface counters when the network is running normally. The traffic monitor thread issues a yellow alert when there is no change in the received byte count for a period of t1 seconds. By default, niffconfig sets this time period to 20 seconds. This corresponds to the niffconfig -t option. Speci- fies the time period, in seconds, that the traffic monitor thread delays between reads of the interface counters when it suspects there is a connectivity problem. This number must be smaller than the number given for the t1 option. The traffic monitor thread issues an orange alert when there is no change in the received byte count for t1 plus dt seconds. If another dt seconds goes by with no change in the received byte count, the traffic monitor thread issues a red alert. By default, niffconfig sets this time period to 5 seconds. This cor- responds to the niffconfig -d option. The total number of traffic-free seconds that must pass before the traffic monitor thread declares the interface to be dead. After t2 seconds with no change in the interface's received byte count, the traffic monitor thread issues a dead event. This number must be equal to at least the sum of t1 and two times t2. By default, niffconfig sets this time period to 60 seconds. This corresponds to the niffconfig -o option. The interface continues to be monitored every dt seconds in case it comes back on-line. The traffic monitor thread enforces the following restriction between the timing parameters: t2 > t1 + 2dt, and dt < t1 It is up to the subscribers to take action based on the events that the traffic monitor reports. For example, the niffd daemon attempts to generate traffic that the suspect interface's receiver will pick up. Other subscribers may want to take action such as to migrate applica- tions to another node or to activate another network interface to replace the suspect interface. The traffic monitor responds to the following ioctl(2) commands: #include <net/if.h> mif_t arg; ioctl(fd, command, arg); As shown in the previous example, mif_t is a monitored interface structure. Most commands require the name field of the mif_t structure to be filled in. The applicable commands are: Adds the named interface to the list of interfaces being monitored. The timing parameters must be filled in as noted in the TIMING PARAMETERS section. If this is the first interface to be added, the SIOCTMTADD command also starts the thread. Removes the named interface from the list of monitored interfaces. If the last interface in the list of those being monitored is removed, the thread is stopped. Modifies the timing parameters for the named interface. The rela- tionship between the timing parameters must be as noted in the TIMING PARAMETERS section. Returns the number of bytes required to store a complete status dump of the interfaces currently being monitored. See SIOCTMTDUMP. This command does not require a third argument to ioctl. Fills in the mif_t structure for the named interface, thereby sending its status back to the caller. Fills in the user-supplied buffer with the status of each interface being monitored. Used for debugging. Causes the kernel to print the status of each interface that is currently being monitored. EVENTS The traffic monitor posts the following events: This event is posted when the traffic monitor thread declares an interface to be dead. This event is posted when the traffic monitor thread has not seen traffic on an interface for t1 seconds. This event is also posted every dt seconds until either traffic is detected or the traffic monitor determines that the interface is dead. RETURN CODES An SIOCTMTADD was attempted on an interface that is already being monitored. The kernel could not allocate memory to copy in the user's buffer. The relationship between the timing parameters is not correct, or an invalid command was given to the traffic monitor. An SIOCTM- TADD, SIOCTMTSTATUS, or SIOCTMTMODIFY command was attempted on an interface that is not currently being monitored. EXAMPLES
The following example illustrates the use of a few NIFF ioctl functions: #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <sys/ioctl.h> #include <sys/param.h> #include <net/if.h> #include <errno.h> /* these strings map to the "state" enum */ char *state[] = {"INIT", "GREEN", "YELLOW", "ORANGE", "RED", "DEAD"}; /* usage: niff_example tu0 tu1 tu2... * must supply the name of at least one * network interface */ main(int ac, char **av) { int t1 = 20, t2 = 60, dt = 5; char **oldav; mif_t mif; int s; oldav = ++av; s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0); /* tell the traffic monitor to start watching these interfaces */ while (*av) { printf("Adding interface %s to the traffic monitor0, *av); bzero(&mif, sizeof (mif)); bcopy(*av, &mif.name[0], MIN(strlen(*av) + 1, sizeof (mif.name - 1))); mif.current_interval = mif.next_time = mif.t1 = t1; mif.t2 = t2; mif.dt = dt; mif.time_to_dead = mif.t2 - mif.t1 + 2 * mif.dt; mif.flags = 0; if (ioctl(s, SIOCTMTADD, &mif) < 0) { perror("couldn't add interface"); break; } ++av; } av = oldav; /* get the status of the interfaces - NB will probably always * be in the "init" state */ while (*av) { printf("checking the status of interface %s0, *av); bzero(&mif, sizeof (mif)); bcopy(*av, &mif.name[0], MIN(strlen(*av) + 1, sizeof (mif.name - 1))); if (ioctl(s, SIOCTMTSTATUS, &mif) < 0) { perror("couldn't get status for interface"); break; } else printf("Interface: %05s, state: %s, t1: %d, dt: %d, t2: %d, time to dead: %d, current_interval:%d, next time: %d0, mif.name, state[mif.current_state], mif.t1, mif.dt, mif.t2, mif.time_to_dead, mif.current_interval, mif.next_time); ++av; } av = oldav; /* tell the traffic monitor to stop watching */ while (*av) { printf("deleting interface %s from the traffic monitor0, *av); bzero(&mif, sizeof (mif)); bcopy(*av, &mif.name[0], MIN(strlen(*av) + 1, sizeof (mif.name - 1))); if (ioctl(s, SIOCTMTREMOVE, &mif) < 0) { perror("couldn't remove interface"); } ++av; } exit(0); } RELATED INFORMATION
ioctl(2), EVM(5), niffconfig(8), niffd(8) delim off nifftmt(7)