Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to understand how the line in perl program works as shell commend Post 302997196 by Aia on Tuesday 9th of May 2017 01:11:43 PM
Old 05-09-2017
What do you mean by:
Quote:
I want to cut it by 13, 19,11,24,21,29 fields
Could you post an example of the output you are looking for?

Perl does not require awk nor sort to do the work. Making outside calls to these other programs indicates that whoever wrote them did not know enough Perl.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line works in solo but not in program?

Now I am just getting frustrated and confused... if anyone has some advice on how this anomoly is occurring I would greatly appreciate it. cat helpme.txt | awk 'NR<5{printf("%-20s %-20d %-20d %-20.1f\n","hello",$1,$2,$3)}' | sort -rk4 This line works fine in solo - reads the three fields from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run shell program in perl

Hello , I want to run some shell scripts in my perl script. I need to read the script's name from a file ( this file includes the name of all the scripts) and run the script one by one.. Please let me know how to go .. Thanks in advance, Radha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s123.radha
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling perl script in shell program

How to call a perl script in shell program / shell scripting. PLS HELP ME (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hravisankar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl/unix: script in command line works but not in perl

so in unix this command works works and shows me a list of directories find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt but when i try running a perl script to run this command my $query = 'find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert perl program to shell

Hi is there a way that i can convert this simple perl program into shell script #!usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; open INPUTFILE, "uniqprobecoordinates.out" || die "canot open the file $!"; open OUTPUTFILE, ">", "1_4reads.out"; while(<INPUTFILE>) { chomp; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargavpbk88
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: Command works in terminal, but not in shell script

Hi, the following command works in the terminal no problem. samtools view -h rawlib.bam | perl -ne '{ @line = split( /\s+/ ); $match = 0; while( $line =~ /(\d+)M/g ) { $match = $match + $1 } if( $match >= 80 || $_ =~ /^\@/ ) { print $_ } }' | java -Xmx12G -jar... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am learning shell scripting and i would like to understand how sort -k3,3 -k 4,4 short* works

Please help me understand how sort -k3,3 -k 4,4 short* works , is it sorting 3 and 4 th field ? what is the use of specifying 3,3 and 4,4 in sort and what is actually does and i see sort -k3 short* and sort -k3,3 -k 4,4 short* giving the same output. Sort output attached Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
2 Replies

8. Programming

Please help me understand errors in perl program

co #! /usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use diagnostics; my $amount=""; my $bain; ; my $code=""; my $date;my $day;my $line; my $mo; my $LNUM = 0; my $xyz=""; my $yr; $yr = 2015; my $F; my @F; while (<>) { chop; ++$LNUM; @F = split(';'); if ( $F eq "Date" )... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hpk
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string works on command-line but fails when run from shell script

I wish to replace "\\n" with a single white space. The below does the job on command-line: $ echo '/fin/app/scripts\\n/fin/app/01/sql' | sed -e 's#\\\\n# #g'; /fin/app/scripts /fin/app/01/sql However, when i have the same code to a shell script it is not able to get me the same output:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to understand special character for line reading in bash shell?

I am still learning shell scripting. Recently I see a function for read configuration. But some of special character make me confused. I checked online to find answer. It was not successful. I post the code here to consult with expert or guru to get better understanding on these special characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)