Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers AIX 4.3 - Need help - Printers not working Post 302997187 by Patrick.Crocker on Tuesday 9th of May 2017 08:56:39 AM
Old 05-09-2017
AIX 4.3 - Need help - Printers not working

I am running an old IBM P-Series server running AIX 4.3 (I know a dinosaur). The OS has not been updated.

We had a hard drive failure last weekend, and I was able to get most of the system back up, however, I have 3 line printers and 3 label printers that I can not get working. I have tried everything I can find online with no luck.

My former programmer (who set the system up and managed it) passed away last year.

I hope that there is someone who can either call me or if you are in the Dallas area, come by and help me get up and running.

The line printers are 2 Okidata Microline 4410 and an IBM (Ricoh) 6500.

The label printers are DataMax.

Please help, i'm stuck in the mud.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Code working AIX 5.2 and not in Solaris 5.9

Hi, When i run the below code in AIX it runs and solaris not ... why ??? #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #define MAX 1 int main () { char str ="1,2,3,4,5"; char * pch,b; int a; printf ("Enter the int to be searched ",str); scanf("%d",&a); sprintf(b,"%d",a); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysabari
2 Replies

2. AIX

^P Not working on AIX.

I'm working on an AIX box, and I generall prefer emacs command line editing in ksh. Most control-commands are working, except not control-P (Recall previous command). ksh set - o emacs ^p Does not result in the expected outcome. does anyone know why this might be? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
0 Replies

3. AIX

Interface drivers for printers under AIX 5.3 or above

Hello, Under Linux (Cups) you can place an interface driver in: /etc/cups/interfaces .. which allows you to intercept printouts to a certain printer and then carry on with the printer. Is there a similar function under AIX? Thanks, (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stuaz
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

*/5 not working in AIX

Hi Guys, I tried to schedule a script for every 5 mins. i tried */5 but it is not working. Is writing every 5 mins is the only way to do it? like below 05,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 05-08 Thanks And Regards, Magesh (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
11 Replies

5. AIX

suid not working on AIX ?

Hello, I'm running AIX 6.1 box. I tried to use suid on binary file but it doesn't work. (I set suid on /usr/bin/sleep and tried to run it as user1(sleep owner is bin) - and program still runs as user1. It shoud run as bin isn't it ? - This test run as expected on Linux box) Filesystem is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rm -rf not working on AIX 6.1

Hi Guys, I have never seen this happen before, but created a directory as a user when installing some software, software install fails so I try and remove the directory as root and get an error. There is no processes using the folder see output: ls -l total 446336 -rwxr----- 1 u0008862... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris5126
2 Replies

7. AIX

AIX Printers moved to anothere AIX system

AIX Printers need to be moved to another system Guy's We have two servers old AIX 5.2 and new AIX 6.1 the old server has more than 300 printers installed with different configurations I'd like to move all the printers from the old server to the new server with fast steps it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
1 Replies

8. AIX

AIX Bunch of printers queue creation script - HELP

I'd seek for help on how to create a bunch of printers in AIX 6.x or equal or above in one go – say like I have 35 printers to create in 4 different AIX Nodes every month – I currently create it manually like below:- How can I automatic this creation on all the 4-5 Nodes – not actually automatic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiv2001in
3 Replies

9. AIX

rssh not working in AIX 6.1

edit by bakunin: double post SNIPped. Hi, I have a similar problem with my AIX 6.1. In AIX 5.3, I have successfully implemented rssh for the caging of my SFTP users. Since we just upgraded to AIX 6.1 TL6 SP7, the rssh does not work. The SFTP works when the user's shell is set to ksh, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eddie.lee
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command not working on AIX

Hello, I am running find command in an AIX Server to find last 7 days modified directories/files. >cd /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class >ls -l total 0 drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 May 28 2014 Catalog-Backup drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Sep 18 2012 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
4 Replies
lpc(1B) 					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						   lpc(1B)

NAME
lpc - line printer control program SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/lpc [ command [ parameter...]] DESCRIPTION
The lpc utility controls the operation of local printers. Use lpc to perform the following functions: o start or stop a printer, o disable or enable a printer's spooling queue, o rearrange the order of jobs in a print queue, or o display the status of a printer print queue and printer daemon. lpc can be run from the command line or interactively. Specifying lpc with the optional command and parameter arguments causes lpc to interpret the first argument as an lpc command, and all other arguments as parameters to that command. Specifying lpc without arguments causes it to run interactively, prompting the user for lpc commands with lpc>. By redirecting the standard input, lpc can read commands from a file. USAGE
lpc commands may be typed in their entirety or abbreviated to an unambiguous substring. Some lpc commands are available to all users; oth- ers are available only to super-users. All users may execute the following lpc commands: ? [command ...] | help [command ...] Displays a short description of command. command is an lpc command. If command is not specified, displays a list of lpc commands. exit | quit Exits from lpc. status [all | printer ...] Displays the status of print daemons and print queues. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for infor- mation regarding naming conventions for atomic names. Only a super-user may execute the following lpc commands: abort [all | printer ...] Terminates an active spooling daemon. Disables printing (by preventing new daemons from being started by lpr(1B)) for printer. all specifies this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. clean [all | printer ...] Removes files created in the print spool directory by the print daemon from printer 's print queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers.printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. disable [all | printer ...] Turns off the print queue for printer. Prevents new printer jobs from being entered into the print queue for printerby lpr(1B). all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. down [all | printer ...] [message] Turns the queue for printer off and disables printing on printer. Inserts message in the printer status file. message does not need to be quoted; multiple arguments to message are treated as arguments are to echo(1). Use down to take a printer down and inform users. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. enable [all | printer ...] Enables lpr(1B) to add new jobs in the spool queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for infor- mation regarding naming conventions for atomic names. restart [all | printer ...] Attempts to start a new printer daemon. restart is useful when a print daemon dies unexpectedly and leaves jobs in the print queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates that this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. start [all | printer ...] Enables printing. Starts a spooling daemon for the printer. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates the command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. stop [all | printer ...] Stops a spooling daemon after the current job is complete. Disables printing at that time. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. topq printer [request-ID ...] [user ...] Moves request-ID or print jobs belonging to user on printer to the beginning of the print queue. Specify user as a user's login name. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. up [all | printer ...] Turns the queue for printer on and enables printing on printer. Deletes the message in the printer status file (inserted by down). Use up to undo the effects of down. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf( 4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. FILES
/var/spool/lp/* LP print queue. /var/spool/lp/system/pstatus Printer status information file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscplp | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1), lpq(1B), lpr(1B), lprm(1B), lpstat(1), lpsched(1M), lpshut(1M), svcadm(1M), printers.conf(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use the svcs(1) utility to check if svc:/application/print/server is running. If it is not running, use svcadm enable svc:/applica- tion/print/server to start lpsched. See svcadm(1M). Ambiguous command Indicates that the lpc command or abbreviation matches more than one command. ?Invalid command Indicates that the lpc command or abbreviation is not recognized. ?Privileged command Indicates that the lpc command or abbreviation can be executed only by a super-user. lpc: printer: unknown printer to the print service Indicates that printer does not exist in the LP database. Check that printer was correctly specified. Use lpstat -p or the status command (see lpstat(1) or USAGE) to check the status of printers. lpc: error on opening queue to spooler Indicates that the connection to lpsched failed. Usually means that the printer server has died or is hung. Use /usr/lib/lp/lpsched to check if the printer spooler daemon is running. lpc: Can't send message to LP print service lpc: Can't receive message from LP print service Indicates that the LP print service stopped. Contact the LP administrator. lpc: Received unexpected message from LP print service Indicates a problem with the software. Contact the LP administrator. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 lpc(1B)