Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script to clear filesystem
Operating Systems HP-UX Script to clear filesystem Post 302997182 by anaigini45 on Tuesday 9th of May 2017 06:51:10 AM
Old 05-09-2017
Script to clear filesystem

Hi,

I have created a script to clear up the /var filesystem once it reaches > 90%.
This is part of the script :

Code:
#!/bin/bash

DIR = ./adm
DIR2=./adm/sw
DIR3 = ./spool/mqueue
DIR4 = ./adm/syslog
DIR5 = ./adm/sulog
DIR6 = ./tmp
F1 = ./tmp/dead.letter
F2 = ./adm/wtmps
file1 = dead.letter
file2 = wtmps

dir=`du -x | sort -rn | head -20`
cd /var
for i in $dir;
do
	if [ -d "$DIR1" ]; then
		cd "$DIR1"
			if [ -f "$file2" ]; then
			 cat /dev/null > "$file2"
	elif [ -d "$DIR2" ]; then
		tar -cvf /temp/admsw.arch "$DIR2";
		rm -rf "$DIR2"
	elif [ -d "$DIR3" ]; then
		find "$DIR3" -mtime +100 -exec rm {} \;			
	elif [ -d "$DIR4" ]; then

elif [ -d "$DIR5" ]; then	

elif [ -d "$DIR6" ]; then
		cd "$DIR6"
			if [ -f "$file1" ]; then
				rm -f "$file1"
 			fi
	elif [ -f "$F1" ]; then
		rm -f "$F1"
	elif [ -f "$F2" ]; then
		cat /dev/null > "$F2"
	fi
done

To test if this script works, I execute the command in the terminal (only to clear one of the filesystems above). However it seemed to run for an extremely long time. Therefore I sensed that something could be wrong with the statements I used - perhaps the for loop?

These are the steps I executed :

Code:
# cd /var
# dir=`du -x | sort -rn | head -20`
# DIR2=./adm/sw
#for i in $dir;
>do
>if [ -d "$DIR2" ]; then
>tar -cvf /temp/admsw.tar "$DIR2";
>fi
>done

Are the above steps correct? Why does the command run for a long time?

Last edited by anaigini45; 05-09-2017 at 07:58 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear Case, Awk and script

Hello. I should have asked this awhile ago but here is my situation. My task is to generate LOC for different directories. I have a text file that has dates in this format (01-Aug-2006). My task is to read each line and compare it to a branch date. Depending on the date, it should generate a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastachef
0 Replies

2. Linux

SED/AWK Script to clear log file using timestamp?

I have a log file on our system which fills up with lines that have been timestamped, as follows.... 03/03/2008 10:56:06:815] (ERROR) balance: continuing session to genapp02 : 18500 03/03/2008 10:56:06:820] (ERROR) balance: continuing session to genapp02 : 18500 03/03/2008 10:56:07:003]... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davesimm
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clear $1 when dot-running a script.

Here's my problem: the $1 parameter is getting permanently set when you dot-run a script - and I cannot unset it. Here's how to duplicate the problem: 1) Create a script called testme and put this simple command in the script: echo 1=$1 Save the script 2) Make the testme script... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: HobieCoop
12 Replies

4. AIX

Help with a filesystem monitoring script.

I'd like to create a cron script that checks filesystems. For example if it reaches 95% USED, I'd like it to send me an email. Can this be possible for up to say 4 filesystems using the df -k command? Any samples to get me started would be much appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring Script - filesystem

Hi all, I got an error when running this script (from BigAdmin community) the error is test: argument expected my server version is SunOS XXX 5.8 Generic_117350-46 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V890 any idea on it? #! /usr/bin/ksh ### ### This script can be run from cron to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filesystem Usage Script

Hey guys I am learning Linux and I am working on script for a college class project to check usage of file system. I pulled this from a different site but have to tweak it a little to work but I still get errors. Here is what I got so far. ALERT=5 function main_prog() { while read output;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcsx6245
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

8. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

9. AIX

Help with clear printer queue script in AIX 5.3

Good day UNIX forum, could you help me with my clear printer queue script, i have problems with the consistency of this function, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Thanks in advance } preRemovePrintQ(){ clear; echo; echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beware187
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to exclude .NFSxxx files in clear old files batch script

I am new to Shell Scripting and need some help. The following batch job has been failing for me due to the .nfsxxx files in use. I need to know how to modify the following script to exclude the .nfsxxx files so this batch job will not fail on me. I have done lots of googling and keep coming back... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimberlyg2007
2 Replies
strclean(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      strclean(1M)

NAME
strclean - STREAMS error logger cleanup program SYNOPSIS
strclean [-a age] [-d logdir] DESCRIPTION
strclean is used to clean up the STREAMS error logger directory on a regular basis (for example, by using cron. By default, all files with names matching error.* in /var/adm/streams that have not been modified in the last three days are removed. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a age The maximum age in days for a log file can be changed using the -a option. -d logdir A directory other than /var/adm/streams can be specified using the -d option. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample of using the strclean command. This example has the same result as running strclean with no arguments: example% strclean -d /var/adm/streams -a 3 FILES
/var/adm/streams/error.* ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cron(1M), strerr(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
strclean is typically run from cron on a daily or weekly basis. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 strclean(1M)