Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking the user input in perl for characters and length Post 302997126 by Aia on Monday 8th of May 2017 10:37:16 AM
Old 05-08-2017
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;
use Data::Dumper;

my @phr = qw(acg acc aca caa); # used on method 1

my (%phrhash, %reahash);
@phrhash{@phr} = ('Phr') x @phr; # method 1
@reahash{'gaa', 'gac'} = qw(Rea Rea); # method 2

print Dumper \%phrhash;
print Dumper \%reahash;

Output:

Code:
perl test.pl
$VAR1 = {
          'aca' => 'Phr',
          'caa' => 'Phr',
          'acg' => 'Phr',
          'acc' => 'Phr'
        };
$VAR1 = {
          'gaa' => 'Rea',
          'gac' => 'Rea'
        };

This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disallowing certain characters from user input

Hey, I've create a custom useradd script, and I don't want the person creating the user to be able to put comma's in any of the input fields, because it could corrupt the /etc/passwd file. I don't care what other characters they put in there, so is there a way I can just check all the input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paqman
1 Replies

3. AIX

Is the Length of User ID for AIX Limit to 8 Characters?

Hi, I'm using AIX version 5.3 currently. I'm trying to create a user id, e.g. andyleong, which the system prompted the length is too long. 1. I would like to know is that the length of user id is limited to maximum 8 characters for AIX. 2. Is it apply to all versions of AIX? If no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meihua_t
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit script if user input not four characters

#!/usr/bin/bash ###script to input four characters. wxyz echo "input first string" read instring1 echo "input second string" read instring2 ## echo "first string is:" $instring1 echo "second string is:" $instring2 ##IF instring1 or instring2 are NOT 4 characters (xxxx) , exit 1. ##how?? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
2 Replies

5. Programming

Checking columns in SQL, comparing user input and sizes.

I'm writing a KSH shell script that's using SQL though DB2. If I have a table defined and populated db2 "create table tb(num int,letter char(4))" db2 "insert into tb values(111,a) db2 "insert into tb values(112,b) db2 "insert into tb values(111,c) How can I check if a letter user... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: busdude
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input - Perl need Help

If I want all user input to start with " : " if not display error or what I asking is how to do if statement that control a first letter of string that we want to start with. and not worry about the rest Thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

user input in perl?

Please tell me how to write a perl script that asks the user to enter words and that passes them to a variable. In bash, the "read" command would achieve such user interaction. #!/bin/bash read -p "Enter files: " vFiles However, I am looking for perl version of something equivalent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCSH user input error checking

This was taken down recently because it appeared to be homework, but it isn't. It's for a script I am working on at work. Thanks for the help. How do you check that user inputs (arguments 1 and 2) are both numbers and are at least 5 digits in length? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input in perl code

Hello friends . I am newbie to perl scripting but still managed to write a code but i am stuck at a place where i need help . Below is the code and can someone help me in taking user input for changing the font size for a html table .Thank you in advance #!/bin/ksh echo " Enter the Directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to read user input

I am creating a bash that uses perl . The below code closes before the input is entered. If I run the perl as a .pl it is fine. What am I doing wrong? Thank you :). #!/bin/bash cd 'C:\Users\cmccabe\Desktop\wget' wget -O getCSV.txt http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx/data/getCSV.csv print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies