Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading a file passed as an argurement and assessing the files syntax Post 302996925 by Gurdza32 on Thursday 4th of May 2017 08:24:36 AM
Old 05-04-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Please become accustomed to provide decent context info of your problem.
It is always helpful to support a request with system info like OS and shell, related environment (variables, options), preferred tools, and adequate (representative) sample input and desired output data and the logics connecting the two, to avoid ambiguities and keep people from guessing.

Open questions: input file format, how do you convey the rules, ans preferred tools?

And, is that homework or classwork?
I am writing the shell on notepad called valsplit.sh, when running the script in the ubuntu terminal I am required to supply 3 arguments a .txt file to read information from and 2 more .txt files to send information to. The file to be read is called input.txt it contains lines of text similar to an example I provided above. They are to be read and validated one line at a time. First we are to check if at the start of the line there is the word "add", "sub", "addi", "lw" or "sw". If that passes the test next is to check if the "add" or "sub" has 3 arguments after it containing either a t or an s, they must also have a $ before it. If the command addi is used one of the arguements must be within a certain number range. If they pass the checks they should be sent to the correct.txt file which is the second argument when running the script in the terminal. If they do not pass the checks the line must be to the third argument in the terminal which is the incorrect.txt file and a message should be output to the terminal stating the error.

This is a practice task for revision I am having trouble with setting up the shell script in notepad, creating a while loop to read each line of the input.txt file and the if statements to check the syntax also I am having trouble using the terminal.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to configure the lp system to filter files passed to it

I registered a printer hp123 on Sun Solaris Server. I think my printer is expecting a carriage return and linefeed combination at the end of each line (DOS standard), but unix files only have linefeeds at the end of each line. How can I configure the lp system to filter files passed to it?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file name as soon as that files arrives into a folder

Hi, Thanks in Advance.. i have the following requirement, some one please help me.. An unix shell script has to pick up the file name from a folder as soon as that file comes into that folder. Regards, Alo (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtazv
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get files names passed to a script

I need to get files names passed to a script. Here number of files passed may vary like MyScript.ksh file1 file2 file3..... so on I am writting script somthing like this set -A Files while (i<=$#) do File=$i let i=i+1 done Is this correct way doing this. Is there any other way.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unishiva
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ksh Storing Multiple Files and reading each line in each file.

How would I go about storing multiple file paths in a directory that begin like: 20080402* and run a loop that reads each line of each file thats in a given directory. So far this is what I have: #!/bin/ksh echo "ENTER Reprint Date (YYYYMMDD): " read ReprintDate echo ""... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: developncode
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recommended reading to understand syntax

Do you have any recommendations for books to read or websites to visit that cover syntax information about when to use square brackets, brackets, braces, apostrophes, quotation marks etc. in a shell script. I have little troubling on the command line but it all goes to pot when I am coding shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SusanDAC
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading files under a folder and formatting content of each file

I have 'n' number of files in a folder .each file in the folder "myfolder" is having the content like. COLNAME ------------ AAAAAA BBBBBB CCCCCC DDDDDD ... ... ... ZZZZZZ 26 recrod(s) selected. My request is by reading each file in "myfolder" and format each file such a way... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading files and pasting in another text file

Hi all, I have certain task to do, which involves reading the first column of 1.txt file. This is variable "event" 28434710 23456656 3456895 & finding this "event" in some other text file 2.txt, which has information in the following format #Zgamma: 1 run: 160998 event: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading the dates from a file & moving the files from a directory

Hi All, I am coding for a requirement where I need to read a file & get the values of SUB_DATE. Once the dates are found, i need to move the files based on these dates from one directory to another. ie, this is how it will be in the file, SUB_DATE = 20120608,20120607,20120606,20120606... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT Reading a file and assessing the syntax shell script URGENT

I am trying to write a shell script which takes an input file as an arguement in the terminal e.g. bash shellscriptname.sh input.txt. I would like for the file to be read line by line each time checking if the .txt file contains certain words or letters(validating the syntax). If the line being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gurdza32
1 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)