Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Experience sharing and questions for NIS migration from Solaris 8 to Linux Post 302996892 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 4th of May 2017 01:54:44 AM
Old 05-04-2017
Correct, the local users like root must stay in the /etc files.
nsswitch.conf is correct when
Code:
getent passwd

lists both local and NIS users.
The actual login authentication via PAM I do not have much experience with.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux redhat and solaris NIS+

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone had success with installing a redhat linux (PC box) on a Solaris NIS+ network. I have gotten information on how to do this but have been unsuccessful. The information that I have gotten is a little out dated and is not 100%. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux NIS sever not binding with Solaris client

I am installing a NIS master server with a linux SLES 10 SP1. And it was pretty straight forward. (Simple since it GUI ) The server can bind to itself when issue with ypwhich command. But on solaris 10 box, I set up the defaultdomain (/etc/defaultdomain) and also issue ypinit -c to startup the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Migration from HP-UX to Solaris/Linux

Hi eveyone Ours is an application hosted on HP-UX 11 and we are trying to migrate the server to different flavour of UNIX. We are actually looking at the option of migrating it to Sun Solaris or Linux. We are trying to evaulate the pros and cons of migrating our application to Solaris/Linux.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: turaga.krishna
6 Replies

4. Linux

Migration from solaris to linux

Hi, Currently I can able to access php script from solaris. I want to access from Linux I have done the following things: 1) I have copied all the scripts from solaris to linux. 2) I have installed php,mysql,apache. I tried with http://Hostname/username/test.php . This is not working .... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interview topics or questions for unix developers with 4.years experience

Hi , I am gonna attend interview this week end for unix developer ( 4.5 years exp) opening .. Can you help me out the topics or the questions which I can expect in the interview. This is may be silly but it is very important to me. Thanks in Advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS to Active Directory Migration

Hello, This is my first ever post on Unix anything :). I really am a total newb when it comes to Unix. I am fairly well versed in the Windows world though. I have a project that I was pulled into which consists on migrating our Unix servers from authenticating with NIS, over to authenticating... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: barcode2328
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script migration from Solaris to Linux.

We are migrating some scripts (ksh) from Solaris 10 to Linux 2.6.32. Can someone share list of changes i need to take care for this ? Have found few of them but i am looking for a exhaustive list. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
6 Replies

8. Solaris

User authentication failed while log in Solaris 8 client on Linux NIS server.

Based on the NIS migration tests I did and another question I posted earlier on. https://www.unix.com/solaris/272021-solaris-8-md5-encryption-support.html I tried to downgrade NIS linux encryption to DES to support solaris connection. So I modified /etc/pam.d/system-auth as below, password... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestard
0 Replies
niserror(1)							   User Commands						       niserror(1)

NAME
niserror - display NIS+ error messages SYNOPSIS
niserror error-num DESCRIPTION
niserror prints the NIS+ error associated with status value error-num on the standard output. It is used by shell scripts to translate NIS+ error numbers that are returned into text messages. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using niserror The following example prints the error associated with the error number 20: example% niserror 20 Not Found, no such name ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nis_error(3NSL), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 10 Dec 2001 niserror(1)