Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Set, setenv or export? Confused between three options Post 302996368 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 25th of April 2017 03:42:51 AM
Old 04-25-2017
A correction: ksh does not take .kshrc. It takes an environment variable ENV.
You can of course put the following into .profile
Code:
#ksh takes this startup file:
ENV=$HOME/.kshrc; export ENV

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set, setenv

Well first of all I am a real Unix newbie. I am taking a course on it in University. I kind of understand set and setenv but, I think it si something that I should really understand. So I thought that I would try a forum out and see how good you guys really are. The question: Execute the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: w6u6f
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I set permanent setenv !!!

Hello, I just want to know ow I can set permanent pathes or whatever using setenv command. I'm using c shell . regards, me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geoquest
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between SET and SETENV

I never undestood exactly what's the difference between the SET and SETENV commands. One sets variables visible to all users and the other (SETENV) only to the specific user environment ? Thanks in advance, BraZil - thE heLL iS HEre :mad: !!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between set and export

Hi, can anybody tell me what is the difference between set and export in unix. -Ashish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between EXPORT and setenv

Hi, Is there any difference between setting an environment variable by EXPORT and by setenv? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dexkid
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

use of set, export and typeset

what is the difference in usage of set, export, typeset while declaring a value to a variable can any one help thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why does set also change setenv variables?

I thought that set and setenv was easy enough to understand until I started experimenting. I noticed the same problem in a previous thread, so I will use it as an example. set command gave the following output: argv () cwd /homes/e/ee325328/assignment.2 home /homes/e/ee325328 path ( a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: benwj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if export DISPLAY is set or not?

Hi All, I use "export DISPLAY=same_host:0.0" to set my export DISPLAY and it is working fine for me.. Problem here is I have developed a script for which i should run export DISPLAY prior to running my script.... so my script should check whether export DISPLAY is set or not.. if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vi set options

Does know where I can find what ALL of the set options do in vi? I can't find it anywhere in vi's man pages or help files. I know about :set all but a lot of the options I have no clue what they do. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. Solaris

export vs env vs set commands

Hi I'm trying to understand variable scopes in solaris10. It is said that to display env variables we use 3 commands : - env - set - export What is the difference between them ? thx for help. ---------- Post updated at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:50 AM ---------- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies
asadmin-unset(1AS)						   User Commands						asadmin-unset(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-unset, unset - removes one or more variables from the multimode environment SYNOPSIS
unset env_var [env_var]* Removes one or more variables you set for the multimode environment. The variables and their associated values will no longer exist in the environment. OPERANDS
env_var environment variable to be removed. Example 1: Using unset to remove environment variables asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_HOST=bluestar AS_ADMIN_PORT=8000 AS_ADMIN_USER=admin AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=password asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_PREFIX=server1.jms-service asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_HOST=bluestar AS_ADMIN_PORT=8000 AS_ADMIN_USER=admin AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=******** AS_ADMIN_PREFIX=server1.jms-service asadmin> unset AS_ADMIN_PREFIX asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_HOST=bluestar AS_ADMIN_PORT=8000 AS_ADMIN_USER=admin AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=******** Using the export command without the argument lists the environment variables that are set. Notice the AS_ADMIN_PREFIX is not in the envi- ronment after running the unset command. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-export(1AS), asadmin-multimode(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-unset(1AS)