Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Renaming the file names in a directory Post 302996192 by naveed on Friday 21st of April 2017 09:21:44 AM
Old 04-21-2017
Thanks a lot RudiC, your logic works. It has save a hell lot of time for me. Have a nice day.

Naveed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file names in a shell script

I want to write a shell script that will rename all the file names to today's date attached to it.. so for example i have a file names like file1.sales.20081201.txt.c zbrs.salestxtn.20091101.txt.inn then it will rename both the files with todays date to it so the file names get changed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions for Renaming a File vs Directory

Hello, I'm trying to fully understand UNIX permissions as applied to directories. While testing my understanding today, I came across something I found peculiar. Please consider the following directory structure: mydir (bob/bob: 0700) +myfile (root/root: 0700) +mysubdir... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daviejones
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File renaming from list of names contained in another file

I have to rename a large number of files so that the name of each file corresponds to a code number that is given side by side in a list (textfile). The list contains in column A the filename of the actual files to be renamed and in column B the name (a client code, 9 digits) that has to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file names

I have 7 files with 7 different names coming into a specified folder on weekly basis, i need to pick a file one after another and load into oracle table using sql loader. I am using ksh to do this. So in the process if the file has error records and if sql loader fails to load into oracle tables,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files in one file from names in other

Hi Guys, I have a small problem of renaming multiple files. For example I have names of a set of files in one directory like K2_34625-34675 K7_988963-988983 K12_773882-7734102 and the other set corresponding to the same is U_P_321_9_3_11.ab1 U_P_322_9_3_11.ab1 U_P_323_9_3_11.ab1 Now... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
23 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripts (Renaming file names with sequential numbers)

Hi there, Firstly, I have no experience with shell scripts so would really appreciate some help. I have the following shell script that is causing some problems: moveit() { && set -x if then DOUBLE_DELIVERY=$(grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebeno
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming File Names in a folder/Dir

Hi Team, I'm new to Unix shell scripting . I've the following requirement A folder contains the list of files with the following format ab.name.11.first ab.name.12.second ab.name.13.third ---------- I have to rename the above file to like below ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to a directory, renaming it if a file with the same name already exists

Hi All, I need to copy files from one directory to another with the files to be renamed while copying if a file with the same name already exists in the target directory. THanks, Dev (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
2 Replies
EVIM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EVIM(1)

NAME
evim - easy Vim, edit a file with Vim and setup for modeless editing SYNOPSIS
evim [options] [file ..] eview DESCRIPTION
eVim starts Vim and sets options to make it behave like a modeless editor. This is still Vim but used as a point-and-click editor. This feels a lot like using Notepad on MS-Windows. eVim will always run in the GUI, to enable the use of menus and toolbar. Only to be used for people who really can't work with Vim in the normal way. Editing will be much less efficient. eview is the same, but starts in read-only mode. It works just like evim -R. See vim(1) for details about Vim, options, etc. The 'insertmode' option is set to be able to type text directly. Mappings are setup to make Copy and Paste work with the MS-Windows keys. CTRL-X cuts text, CTRL-C copies text and CTRL-V pastes text. Use CTRL-Q to obtain the original meaning of CTRL-V. OPTIONS
See vim(1). FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim74/evim.vim The script loaded to initialize eVim. AKA
Also Known As "Vim for gumbies". When using evim you are expected to take a handkerchief, make a knot in each corner and wear it on your head. SEE ALSO
vim(1) AUTHOR
Most of Vim was made by Bram Moolenaar, with a lot of help from others. See the Help/Credits menu. 2002 February 16 EVIM(1)