Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Renaming the file names in a directory Post 302996164 by RudiC on Thursday 20th of April 2017 02:39:40 PM
Old 04-20-2017
Try also
Code:
for FN in *.txt
  do TFN=${FN#?_*_}
     echo mv ${FN} ${TFN%_*}.txt
  done
mv i_can_phone_yymmdd.txt phone.txt
mv i_eng_phone_4_yymmdd.txt phone_4.txt
mv i_usa_phone_1_yymmdd.txt phone_1.txt

Remove the echo if happy with the resulting proposals.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file names in a shell script

I want to write a shell script that will rename all the file names to today's date attached to it.. so for example i have a file names like file1.sales.20081201.txt.c zbrs.salestxtn.20091101.txt.inn then it will rename both the files with todays date to it so the file names get changed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions for Renaming a File vs Directory

Hello, I'm trying to fully understand UNIX permissions as applied to directories. While testing my understanding today, I came across something I found peculiar. Please consider the following directory structure: mydir (bob/bob: 0700) +myfile (root/root: 0700) +mysubdir... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daviejones
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File renaming from list of names contained in another file

I have to rename a large number of files so that the name of each file corresponds to a code number that is given side by side in a list (textfile). The list contains in column A the filename of the actual files to be renamed and in column B the name (a client code, 9 digits) that has to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file names

I have 7 files with 7 different names coming into a specified folder on weekly basis, i need to pick a file one after another and load into oracle table using sql loader. I am using ksh to do this. So in the process if the file has error records and if sql loader fails to load into oracle tables,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files in one file from names in other

Hi Guys, I have a small problem of renaming multiple files. For example I have names of a set of files in one directory like K2_34625-34675 K7_988963-988983 K12_773882-7734102 and the other set corresponding to the same is U_P_321_9_3_11.ab1 U_P_322_9_3_11.ab1 U_P_323_9_3_11.ab1 Now... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
23 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripts (Renaming file names with sequential numbers)

Hi there, Firstly, I have no experience with shell scripts so would really appreciate some help. I have the following shell script that is causing some problems: moveit() { && set -x if then DOUBLE_DELIVERY=$(grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebeno
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming File Names in a folder/Dir

Hi Team, I'm new to Unix shell scripting . I've the following requirement A folder contains the list of files with the following format ab.name.11.first ab.name.12.second ab.name.13.third ---------- I have to rename the above file to like below ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to a directory, renaming it if a file with the same name already exists

Hi All, I need to copy files from one directory to another with the files to be renamed while copying if a file with the same name already exists in the target directory. THanks, Dev (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
2 Replies
PESCETTI(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PESCETTI(1)

NAME
pescetti -- Pseudo-Duplimate Generator SYNOPSIS
pescetti DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the pescetti command. OPTIONS
Here are a list of the available options and what they do. You must specify exactly one from --demo, --generate or --load. --help Prints the help text --demo Demonstration mode. Generates one hand with permutations and the tutorial for how to use them. --generate=N Generate N random boards --load=boards.txt Load boards+analysis from boards.txt --load-dds=boards.dds Load boards from boards.dds in dds format --load-analysis=tricks.txt Load analysis from tricks.txt --permutations=permutations.txt Generate the permutations and save them to the given file --curtains=curtains.txt Save curtain cards to file curtains.txt --save=boards.txt Save the boards+analysis to boards.txt --save-dds=boards.dds Save the boards to boards.dds in dds format --save-analysis=tricks.txt Save the analysis to tricks.txt --format=html|txt|pdf Set the output mode to the given format --title=title Set the title for the output --output=hands.txt Print the hands to hands.txt, rather than to standard output --stats Generate statistics about the set of boards; included in the hands output --analyze Run the dds analyzer on the boards and print the resulting numberof tricks (warning SLOW) --criteria= A list of criteria to apply to each generated hand to generate specific hand types. The list should be space separated and each item may be suffixed with a colon and a (fractional) probability value which can be used to weight the criteria. E.g. --criteria="weaknt:0.8 strongnt:0.5" Valid criteria are: unbalanced weaknt strongnt twont strongtwo weaktwo three twoclubs 4441 singlesuit twosuits partscore game slam game-invite slam-invite jumpshift jumpfit splinter bacon weird --probability=factor Generate hands matching the criteria with only the given probability. Factor is in the range 0 to 1. On each attempt to generate a board it is rejected if it doesn't match the criteria with the given probability. A factor of about 0.8 gives roughly half matching boards AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Matthew Johnson <debian@matthew.ath.cx>. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this docu- ment under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. PESCETTI(1)