Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Sorting blocks by a section of the identifier Post 302996085 by Xterra on Tuesday 18th of April 2017 02:40:40 PM
Old 04-18-2017
Sorry for the long delay! I will give it a try

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting rules on a text section

Hi all My text file looks like this: start doc ... (certain number of records) REC3|Emma|info| REC3|Lukas|info| REC3|Arthur|info| ... (certain number of records) end doc start doc ... (certain number of records)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting blocks of data

Hello all, Below is what I am trying to accomplish: I have a file that looks like this /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000050 ----------------- */ jdghjghkla sadgsdags asdgsdgasd asdgsagasdg /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000055 ----------------- */ sdgsdg sdgxcvzxcbv... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

not an identifier

Hi I have already gone through this topic on this forum, but still i am getting same problem. I am using solaris 10. my login shell is /usr/bash i have got a script as below /home/gyan> cat 3.cm #!/usr/bin/ksh export PROG_NAME=rpaa001 if i run this script as below , it works fine... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyanibaba
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert 512-blocks to 4k blocks

I'm Unix. I'm looking at "df" on Unix now and below is an example. It's lists the filesystems out in 512-blocks, I need this in 4k blocks. Is there a way to do this in Unix or do I manually convert and how? So for container 1 there is 7,340,032 in size in 512-blocks. What would the 4k block be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockycj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

is not an identifier

Hi Guys... I am using the following codes in my script: SID_L=`cat /var/opt/oracle/oratab|grep -v "^#"|cut -f1 -d: -s` SID_VAR=$SID_L for SID_RUN in $SID_VAR do ORACLE_HOME=`grep ^$SID_RUN /var/opt/oracle/oratab | \ awk -F: '{print $2}'` ;export ORACLE_HOME export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend first line of section to each line until the next section header

I have searched in a variety of ways in a variety of places but have come up empty. I would like to prepend a portion of a section header to each following line until the next section header. I have been using sed for most things up until now but I'd go for a solution in just about anything--... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagrus
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting arrays horizontally without END section, awk

input: ref001, Europe, Belgium, 1001 ref001, Europe, Spain, 203 ref001, Europe, Germany, 457 ref002, America, Canada, 234 ref002, America, US, 87 ref002, America, Alaska, 652 Without using an END section, I need to write all the info related to the same ref number ($1)and continent ($2) on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row blocks to column blocks

Hello, Searched for a while and found some "line-to-column" script. My case is similar but with multiple fields each row: S02 Length Per S02 7043 3.864 S02 54477 29.89 S02 104841 57.52 S03 Length Per S03 1150 0.835 S03 1321 0.96 S03 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-an] [-e s] [-o list] [-tc] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1). BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)