Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash to verify and validate file header and data type Post 302996008 by drl on Monday 17th of April 2017 08:45:54 AM
Old 04-17-2017
Hi.

Aside from the fact that the script has many lines, some of the lines are long. I tend to look at code if it fits within the width of a page, without me needing to scroll horizontally. Shells are very good at being able to continue pipelines. Other code can have lines terminated with \ to escape the newline. I think that aids comprehension and maintainability.

So without looking at your script in any detail, the next thing I would try is placing set -x in the script. You could also place intermediate printf/echo statements at crucial spots in your script. I use functions to turn on/off debugging output.

You could place set -x at the beginning to see everything. You could place it near the middle of the code, and then bisect the placement depending on whether you see something wrong or not.

Keep in mind that there could be more than error.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

Last edited by drl; 04-17-2017 at 09:53 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to drl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

FILE data type

Hi all, Can anyone tell me a little about the datatype FILE, which represents stream. What does its structure look like, and in which header file is it defined and so on... Ex : FILE *fp ; fp = fopen("filename", "w") ; (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Better way to Validate column data in file.

I am trying to validate the third column in a pipe delimited file. The column must be 10 char long and all digits 0-9. I am writing out two new files from the existing file, if it would be quicker, I could leave the bad rows in the file and ignore them in the next process. What I have is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: barry1
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Verify the data type in a file with UNIX function

I am seeking help on this UNIX function, please help. Thanks in advance. I have a large file, named as 'MyFile'. It was tab-delmited, I am told that each record in column 1 is unique. How would I verify this with UNIX function or command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Verify file was sftp'd via bash script

Hello Experts, I have a script that that transfers a file (via sftp) and it works fine but we ran into a snag where the target server asked for the ssh key and the script didn't know what to do. I want to add some logic to this script that at least sends an email that it didn't complete as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tiberius777
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to validate file header and trailer

Hi, I need a script that validates a file header/detail/trailer. File layout is: Header - Rec_Type|File_name|File_Date Detail - Rec_Type|field1|field2|field3... Trailder - Rec_Type|File_name|File_Date|Record_count Sample Data: HDR|customer_data.dat|20120709... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash_sh
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude the header row in the file to validate

Hi All, File contains header row.. we need to exclude the header row...no need to validate the first row in the file. Data in the file should take valid data(two columns)..we need to exclude the more than two columns in the file except the first line. email|firstname a|123|100 b|345... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verify the header and trailer in file

please see my requirement, I hope I am clear. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract header data from one file and combine it with data from another file

Hi, Great minds, I have some files, in fact header files, of CTD profiler, I tried a lot C programming, could not get output as I was expected, because my programming skills are very poor, finally, joined unix forum with the hope that, I may get what I want, from you people, Here I have attached... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a ready Shell script to validate a high volume data file

Hi, I am looking for a ready shell script that can help in loading and validating a high volume (around 4 GB) .Dat file . The data in the file has to be validated at each of its column, like the data constraint on each of the data type on each of its 60 columns and also a few other constraints... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guruprasad
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to validate header in a csv file

Hi All; I am struggling to write a script that validates file header. Header file would be like below with TAB separated TRX # TYPE REF # Source Piece Code Destination Piece Code every time I need to check the txt file if the header was same as above fields if validation success... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: heye18
6 Replies
Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures					    Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_AllowExceptions - allow all exceptions in next script evaluation SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_AllowExceptions(interp) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which script will be evaluated. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If a script is evaluated at top-level (i.e. no other scripts are pending evaluation when the script is invoked), and if the script termi- nates with a completion code other than TCL_OK, TCL_ERROR or TCL_RETURN, then Tcl normally converts this into a TCL_ERROR return with an appropriate message. The particular script evaluation procedures of Tcl that act in the manner are Tcl_EvalObjEx, Tcl_EvalObjv, Tcl_Eval, Tcl_EvalEx, Tcl_GlobalEval, Tcl_GlobalEvalObj, Tcl_VarEval and Tcl_VarEvalVA. However, if Tcl_AllowExceptions is invoked immediately before calling one of those a procedures, then arbitrary completion codes are per- mitted from the script, and they are returned without modification. This is useful in cases where the caller can deal with exceptions such as TCL_BREAK or TCL_CONTINUE in a meaningful way. KEYWORDS
continue, break, exception, interpreter Tcl 7.4 Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)