Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Sorting blocks by a section of the identifier Post 302995915 by Don Cragun on Friday 14th of April 2017 07:59:28 PM
Old 04-14-2017
I'm sorry for all of the confusion. I had originally intended to type 8GB, but hit the T instead of the G key. Smilie Then while I was reviewing it, I decided to spell it out and converted the 8TB to 8 terabytes compounding, instead of correcting, the error. Smilie

With the BSD based awk on macOS, I don't have the asorti() function and only the 1st character of values assigned to RS matters. So, the following is completely untested, but if I understand the GNU awk page correctly, I think the pipeline:
Code:
awk -vRS="@M0" 'BEGIN{FS="\n"; OFS="\t"}NR>1{print RS$1, $2, $3, $4}' test.txt | sort -t: -k 7 | tr "\t" "\n"

should be replaceable by the following single invocation of awk:
Code:
awk '
BEGIN {	FS = OFS = "\n"
	RS = "@M0"
}
NR > 1 {split($1, f, /:/)
	out[f[7]] = RS $0
	order[f[7]]
}
END {	n = asorti(order)
	for(i = 1; i <= n; i++)
		printf("%s", out[order[i]])
}' test.txt

as long as there are no duplicates in the 7th colon separated field in any of the records in your input file. (If there are duplicates, I think all but the last record in each set of duplicates will be missing in the output produced by the above script.)

I would appreciate it if someone with access to GNU awk could try this out with the sample data in post #1 in this thread and let me know if I came close to getting it right. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting rules on a text section

Hi all My text file looks like this: start doc ... (certain number of records) REC3|Emma|info| REC3|Lukas|info| REC3|Arthur|info| ... (certain number of records) end doc start doc ... (certain number of records)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting blocks of data

Hello all, Below is what I am trying to accomplish: I have a file that looks like this /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000050 ----------------- */ jdghjghkla sadgsdags asdgsdgasd asdgsagasdg /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000055 ----------------- */ sdgsdg sdgxcvzxcbv... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

not an identifier

Hi I have already gone through this topic on this forum, but still i am getting same problem. I am using solaris 10. my login shell is /usr/bash i have got a script as below /home/gyan> cat 3.cm #!/usr/bin/ksh export PROG_NAME=rpaa001 if i run this script as below , it works fine... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyanibaba
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert 512-blocks to 4k blocks

I'm Unix. I'm looking at "df" on Unix now and below is an example. It's lists the filesystems out in 512-blocks, I need this in 4k blocks. Is there a way to do this in Unix or do I manually convert and how? So for container 1 there is 7,340,032 in size in 512-blocks. What would the 4k block be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockycj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

is not an identifier

Hi Guys... I am using the following codes in my script: SID_L=`cat /var/opt/oracle/oratab|grep -v "^#"|cut -f1 -d: -s` SID_VAR=$SID_L for SID_RUN in $SID_VAR do ORACLE_HOME=`grep ^$SID_RUN /var/opt/oracle/oratab | \ awk -F: '{print $2}'` ;export ORACLE_HOME export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend first line of section to each line until the next section header

I have searched in a variety of ways in a variety of places but have come up empty. I would like to prepend a portion of a section header to each following line until the next section header. I have been using sed for most things up until now but I'd go for a solution in just about anything--... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagrus
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting arrays horizontally without END section, awk

input: ref001, Europe, Belgium, 1001 ref001, Europe, Spain, 203 ref001, Europe, Germany, 457 ref002, America, Canada, 234 ref002, America, US, 87 ref002, America, Alaska, 652 Without using an END section, I need to write all the info related to the same ref number ($1)and continent ($2) on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row blocks to column blocks

Hello, Searched for a while and found some "line-to-column" script. My case is similar but with multiple fields each row: S02 Length Per S02 7043 3.864 S02 54477 29.89 S02 104841 57.52 S03 Length Per S03 1150 0.835 S03 1321 0.96 S03 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies
SLAPO-SSSVLV(5) 						File Formats Manual						   SLAPO-SSSVLV(5)

NAME
slapo-sssvlv - Server Side Sorting and Virtual List View overlay to slapd SYNOPSIS
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf DESCRIPTION
This overlay implements the LDAP Server Side Sorting (RFC2891) control as well as the Virtual List View control. It also replaces the default implementation of the LDAP PagedResults (RFC2696) control, to ensure that it works with Sorting. The overlay can be used with any backend or globally for all backends. Since a complete result set must be generated in memory before sorting can be performed, processing sort requests can have a large impact on the server's memory use. As such, any connection is limited to having only one sort request active at a time. Additional limits may be configured as described below. CONFIGURATION
These slapd.conf options apply to the SSSVLV overlay. They should appear after the overlay directive. sssvlv-max <num> Set the maximum number of concurrent sort requests allowed across all connections. The default is one half of the number of server threads. sssvlv-maxkeys <num> Set the maximum number of keys allowed in a sort request. The default is 5. FILES
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf default slapd configuration file /etc/openldap/slapd.d default slapd configuration directory SEE ALSO
slapd.conf(5), slapd-config(5). "OpenLDAP Administrator's Guide" (http://www.OpenLDAP.org/doc/admin/) IETF LDAP Virtual List View proposal by D. Boreham, J. Sermersheim, and A. Kashi in IETF document "draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-vlv-09.txt". AUTHOR
Howard Chu OpenLDAP 2.4.21 2009/12/20 SLAPO-SSSVLV(5)