Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Sorting blocks by a section of the identifier Post 302995805 by wbport on Wednesday 12th of April 2017 06:19:24 PM
Old 04-12-2017
The last field on the sort command, unless it is sorting data piped in from something else (like sed), is the name of the file to be sorted followed by a redirect (>) or a pipe (|) to another program. "-t:" says to use a colon as a field delimiter. "-n" says this is a numeric field but if this field is always four digits, that parameter can be taken out.

If you need a numeric sort but need to ignore the space and following digit, you can use a sed command to replace the space with a leading colon and a space. After running sort, another sed can take out the colon before the space.
This User Gave Thanks to wbport For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting rules on a text section

Hi all My text file looks like this: start doc ... (certain number of records) REC3|Emma|info| REC3|Lukas|info| REC3|Arthur|info| ... (certain number of records) end doc start doc ... (certain number of records)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting blocks of data

Hello all, Below is what I am trying to accomplish: I have a file that looks like this /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000050 ----------------- */ jdghjghkla sadgsdags asdgsdgasd asdgsagasdg /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000055 ----------------- */ sdgsdg sdgxcvzxcbv... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

not an identifier

Hi I have already gone through this topic on this forum, but still i am getting same problem. I am using solaris 10. my login shell is /usr/bash i have got a script as below /home/gyan> cat 3.cm #!/usr/bin/ksh export PROG_NAME=rpaa001 if i run this script as below , it works fine... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyanibaba
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert 512-blocks to 4k blocks

I'm Unix. I'm looking at "df" on Unix now and below is an example. It's lists the filesystems out in 512-blocks, I need this in 4k blocks. Is there a way to do this in Unix or do I manually convert and how? So for container 1 there is 7,340,032 in size in 512-blocks. What would the 4k block be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockycj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

is not an identifier

Hi Guys... I am using the following codes in my script: SID_L=`cat /var/opt/oracle/oratab|grep -v "^#"|cut -f1 -d: -s` SID_VAR=$SID_L for SID_RUN in $SID_VAR do ORACLE_HOME=`grep ^$SID_RUN /var/opt/oracle/oratab | \ awk -F: '{print $2}'` ;export ORACLE_HOME export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend first line of section to each line until the next section header

I have searched in a variety of ways in a variety of places but have come up empty. I would like to prepend a portion of a section header to each following line until the next section header. I have been using sed for most things up until now but I'd go for a solution in just about anything--... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagrus
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting arrays horizontally without END section, awk

input: ref001, Europe, Belgium, 1001 ref001, Europe, Spain, 203 ref001, Europe, Germany, 457 ref002, America, Canada, 234 ref002, America, US, 87 ref002, America, Alaska, 652 Without using an END section, I need to write all the info related to the same ref number ($1)and continent ($2) on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row blocks to column blocks

Hello, Searched for a while and found some "line-to-column" script. My case is similar but with multiple fields each row: S02 Length Per S02 7043 3.864 S02 54477 29.89 S02 104841 57.52 S03 Length Per S03 1150 0.835 S03 1321 0.96 S03 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies
SORT(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   SORT(1)

NAME
sort - sort and/or merge files SYNOPSIS
sort [ -cmuMbdfinrwtx ] [ +pos1 [ -pos2 ] ... ] ... [ -k pos1 [ ,pos2 ] ] ... ' [ -o output ] [ -T dir ... ] [ option ... ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Sort sorts lines of all the files together and writes the result on the standard output. If no input files are named, the standard input is sorted. The default sort key is an entire line. Default ordering is lexicographic by runes. The ordering is affected globally by the following options, one or more of which may appear. -M Compare as months. The first three non-white space characters of the field are folded to upper case and compared so that precedes etc. Invalid fields compare low to -b Ignore leading white space (spaces and tabs) in field comparisons. -d `Phone directory' order: only letters, accented letters, digits and white space are significant in comparisons. -f Fold lower case letters onto upper case. Accented characters are folded to their non-accented upper case form. -i Ignore characters outside the ASCII range 040-0176 in non-numeric comparisons. -w Like -i, but ignore only tabs and spaces. -n An initial numeric string, consisting of optional white space, optional plus or minus sign, and zero or more digits with optional decimal point, is sorted by arithmetic value. -g Numbers, like -n but with optional e-style exponents, are sorted by value. -r Reverse the sense of comparisons. -tx `Tab character' separating fields is x. The notation +pos1 -pos2 restricts a sort key to a field beginning at pos1 and ending just before pos2. Pos1 and pos2 each have the form m.n, optionally followed by one or more of the flags Mbdfginr, where m tells a number of fields to skip from the beginning of the line and n tells a number of characters to skip further. If any flags are present they override all the global ordering options for this key. A missing .n means .0; a missing -pos2 means the end of the line. Under the -tx option, fields are strings separated by x; otherwise fields are non-empty strings separated by white space. White space before a field is part of the field, except under option -b. A b flag may be attached independently to pos1 and pos2. The notation -k pos1[,pos2] is how POSIX sort defines fields: pos1 and pos2 have the same format but different meanings. The value of m is origin 1 instead of origin 0 and a missing .n in pos2 is the end of the field. When there are multiple sort keys, later keys are compared only after all earlier keys compare equal. Lines that otherwise compare equal are ordered with all bytes significant. These option arguments are also understood: -c Check that the single input file is sorted according to the ordering rules; give no output unless the file is out of sort. -m Merge; assume the input files are already sorted. -u Suppress all but one in each set of equal lines. Ignored bytes and bytes outside keys do not participate in this comparison. -o The next argument is the name of an output file to use instead of the standard output. This file may be the same as one of the inputs. -Tdir Put temporary files in dir rather than in /var/tmp. EXAMPLES
Print in alphabetical order all the unique spellings in a list of words where capitalized words differ from uncapitalized. Print the users file sorted by user name (the second colon-separated field). Print the first instance of each month in an already sorted file. Options -um with just one input file make the choice of a unique representative from a set of equal lines predictable. grep -n '^' input | sort -t: +1f +0n | sed 's/[0-9]*://' A stable sort: input lines that compare equal will come out in their original order. FILES
/var/tmp/sort.<pid>.<ordinal> SOURCE
/src/cmd/sort.c SEE ALSO
uniq(1), look(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Sort comments and exits with non-null status for various trouble conditions and for disorder discovered under option -c. BUGS
An external null character can be confused with an internally generated end-of-field character. The result can make a sub-field not sort less than a longer field. Some of the options, e.g. -i and -M, are hopelessly provincial. SORT(1)