Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unable to restore *.tar file
Operating Systems HP-UX Unable to restore *.tar file Post 302995472 by anaigini45 on Thursday 6th of April 2017 04:42:44 AM
Old 04-06-2017
Code:
Just guessing - tar usually removes leading  \  when archiving, unless told otherwise. Is it possible that your restore ends up just below the cwd?

Did you mean leading
Code:
/

?

About the output from the tarring :
I just ran the command :

Code:
# cd <tar file directory>
# tar -xvf lhs20170405.tar /home/lhs

Then there was nothing.It just ended with a prompt without any message/error.
And when I checked the /home/lhs the folder was still not there.
Even performing a bdf /home still showed same usage as before the tarring was done. (6%).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot restore a TAR backup

I backed up a unix database using "tar -cvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800 /*" Normally I would restore this using "tar -xvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800" This is reporting an error about "not enough memory" I have done a new test backup and restore using the same commands and they work. ANY IDEAS ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ross.Goodman
2 Replies

2. Solaris

tar - restore a file

We use tar for backing up a server. I need to restore just one file from this backup. Anyone know the syntax? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding tar restore

I created a relative backup of my home directory using tar into a file named backup.tar. No problem there. I checked it out using the table of contents command to list the contents of the backup.tar file, and there is no problem there either. But, when I tried restoring backup.tar into a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Relykk
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar - restore only file of specific dates

hi there, anybody know if there is any efficient way of restoring only files of specific dates from a tape (with tar command)? :rolleyes: coz the tapes containing few weeks' files, but i need only files of a few days..... any kind feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advanced. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie168
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restore files with TAR -- Help

Hi, Can anyone tell me the right TAR command to restore all the files dirs/subdirs/files etc. to a given directory on my hdd from a TAPE drive? I already used the list function to see that there is data on it with this commando: # tar tf /dev/st0 Now I need to copy all the data to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: severt
1 Replies

6. Solaris

how to restore an entire system from a tar file?

Hi folks, I have an image backup of an entire file system (Solaris 9 on N240) on a tar file. How can I use this tar file to retore my system? Thanks, omd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omd
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Unable to access TAR file

hi friends, I am using hp unix HP-UX B.11.11 .. Generally i do the compression to maintain the space availability . To compress the files first i used the TAR to collect all the files. it has done fine. when i am using command ls in the folder which has TAR file , it shows the TAR... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhaprakasam
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to restore cpio archive to a directory

Hello Every one, I want to back up all passwd files to /xyz/passfiles.cpio and Then restore them to /abc directory. Here is what I wrote: find / -name passwd | cpio -oc > /tmp/passwd.cpio and to restore cd abc cpio -ium < /tmp/passwd.cpio I can not find the files restored to /abc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drdigital_m
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Unable to create a tar file due to link

Hi, I am trying to tar a directory structure. but unable to do due to a symbolic link. Please help indomt@behpux $ tar -cvf test.tar /home/indomt a /home/indomt symbolic link to /dxdv/03/ap1dm1 Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Backup and restore using tar

This will be covered elsewhere im sure but i just cant seem to find my exact issue. I want to backup my systems using tar, command is: tar -cjpf /backup /bin /etc /home /opt /root /sbin /usr /var /bootWhen i include the / directory it also tar's the /lib /sys /proc /dev filesystems too (and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
8 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)