Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Passing variables from UNIX to Ansible to UNIX shell Post 302995401 by mohtashims on Wednesday 5th of April 2017 12:07:21 PM
Old 04-05-2017
Hammer & Screwdriver Passing variables from UNIX to Ansible to UNIX shell

I m passing a variable stringg from Unix shell which has value 'Good Day' to ansible and from ansible to a second shell script where it print only Good instead of 'Good Day'

passing the variable stringg from unix shell script1.sh
Code:
echo $stringg
  ansible-playbook install.yml -i /web/hostfiles/myhost.txt --extra-vars "mystring=$stringg"

then passing the variable from ansible install.yml to unix shell script2.sh like this
Code:
     shell: /web/operations/script2.sh "{{mystring}}" chdir=/web/operations/

Then printing in the second unix shell script2.sh like this
Code:
echo "Printing:::::"
  echo $*

Output:
Quote:

Good Day

Printing:::::
Good

Can you please tell me why is the second script only printing Good instead of Good Day ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the value of Out parm in SP to UNIX Shell Script

I have a simple procedure which accepts two input parms and returns and output count: CREATE OR REPLACE Procedure GET1 ( IN_FOLDER IN VARCHAR2, IN_SUBJECT_AREA IN VARCHAR2, OUT_CNT IN OUT VARCHAR2 ) AS BEGIN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix passing environmental Variables

In my script when I change an env variable in the parent shell it is only changed for that session - it there away to change it permanently using a script so that when I use rlogin (create a child session) that the env variable is set correctly? Basically what I am trying to do is to pass a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: belfastbelle
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH - Passing Unix login passwords through shell scripts

Hi All , I need to call a script runscript_B.sh on server A, the runscript_B.sh script locating in server B. The runscript_B.sh in calls another script runscript_A on server A itself. it seend, i need to be connect from Server A to Server B using ssh. I have tryed like this in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help Passing An Oracle parameter to a unix shell.

I have an Oracle concurrent program that I'm passing a parameter to a unix shell script. An example value of the Oracle parameter is PO_TOP. The Oracle parameter represents the unix env var PO_TOP, meaning, on the unix side there is env var called PO_TOP (ex value: /oradev/apps/po/11.0.3/). My... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark_Wright
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a value to stored procedure from unix shell script

Hi Dudes :) I want a unix shell script to pass value to SQL stored procedure. Below is the procedure declare res varchar2(10); begin odm_load_check('PRE_SANITY',res); dbms_output.put_line(res); end; select * from error_log; truncate table error_log; select * from test; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shirdi
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Passing shell variables to a webpage

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: This is my assignment as a whole - Use SVG to present certain dynamic (the raw data should change at least once... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChedWick
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to shell

Hi. I need to parse file and assign some values to variables, right now i do like below MYHOMEDIR=`awk '/Home/ {print $NF}' output.txt` MYSHELL=`awk '/Shell/ {print $NF}' output.txt` PRGRP=`awk '/Primary/ {print $NF}' output.txt` SECGRP=`awk '/Second/ {print $NF}' output.txt` In this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed: UNIX shell variables to store Oracle table records

Hello Folks, I'm working on a requirement to automate the process of generating report(csv file) using metadata info stored in an Oracle table and E-mail it to respective people. Meta data table: Report_ID,Report_SUB_ID,Report_DB,Report_SQL,Report_to_email_Id 1,1,DEV,'select * From... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat_reddy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX: passing stuff to a shell function

I have users that print files to selected printers. Instead of creating one function for each printer I would like to have just one and passing the files to print as well as the wanted printer. The following code does not work, of course. I'm expecting that $1 is the list of files to be printed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SHELL: UNIX : Ls regular expression not working when used with variables

If i do below command in unix prompt which static values (ie 27..97), it is working fine and gives desired output >ls -d $WORKDIR/batch/somefilename_{27..97}.* 2>/dev/null somefilename_27.sometxt somefilename_28.sometxt somefilename_29.sometxt .. somefilename_97.sometxt But if i want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiderali
2 Replies
XTERMCONTROL(1) 						   User Commands						   XTERMCONTROL(1)

NAME
xtermcontrol - dynamic control of XFree86 xterm properties. SYNOPSIS
xtermcontrol [OPTIONS]... DESCRIPTION
xtermcontrol makes it easy to change colors, title, font and geometry of a running XFree86 xterm(1), as well as to report the current set- tings of the aforementioned properties. Window manipulations de-/iconify, raise/lower, maximize/restore and reset are also supported. To complete the feature set; xtermcontrol lets advanced users issue any xterm control sequence of their choosing. OPTIONS
--fg=COLOR Set foreground color (see also COLOR NAMES). --bg=COLOR Set background color. --colorN=COLOR Set N'th [0-15] color. --highlight=COLOR Set highlight color. --cursor=COLOR Set cursor color. --mouse-fg=COLOR Set mouse pointer foreground color. --mouse-bg=COLOR Set mouse pointer background color. --font=FONT Set font name (see also FONT NAMES). Alternatively it is possible to specify a fontmenu index as '#[0-6]' or navigate the fontmenu by relative sizes as '#+N' or '#-N', where N is an optional integer. --title=STRING Set window title. Note that mechanisms like the bash(1) PROMPT_COMMAND may overwrite the title. --geometry=WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF Set size and/or position. Through its control sequences the xterm only recognize positive XOFF and YOFF offsets, which are pixels relative to the upper left hand corner of the display. xtermcontrol is therefore unable to handle negative offsets as described in the X(7x) GEOMETRY SPECIFICATIONS and therefore truncates negative values to zero. --get-fg Report foreground color. --get-bg Report background color. --get-colorN Report N'th [0-15] color. --get-highlight Report highlight color. --get-cursor Report cursor color. --get-mouse-fg Report mouse pointer foreground color. --get-mouse-bg Report mouse pointer background color. --get-font Report font. --get-title Report window title. --get-geometry Report size and position. The size of the text area is reported in characters and the position is reported in pixels relative to the upper left hand corner of the display. --maximize Maximize window. --restore Restore maximized window. --iconify Iconify window. --de-iconify De-iconify window. --raise Raise window. --lower Lower window. --reset Full reset. --raw=CTLSEQS Issue raw control sequence (see also XTERM CONTROL SEQUENCES). --file=FILE Force xtermcontrol to read configurations (see also CONFIGURATION) from FILE instead of the standard personal initialization file ~/.xtermcontrol. --force, -f Skip TERM environment variable check. --verbose, -v Print verbose reports. --help, -h Print help message and exit. --version Print the version number and exit. CONFIGURATION
xtermcontrol reads a default, ~/.xtermcontrol, or a user specified configuration file on startup. Each line in the file is either a com- ment or contains an attribute. Attributes consist of a keyword and an associated value: keyword = value # comment The valid keyword/value combinations are: foreground="COLOR" background="COLOR" highlight="COLOR" cursor="COLOR" mouse-foreground="COLOR" mouse-background="COLOR" geometry="WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF" font="FONT" color0="COLOR" color1="COLOR" color2="COLOR" color3="COLOR" color4="COLOR" color5="COLOR" color6="COLOR" color7="COLOR" color8="COLOR" color9="COLOR" color10="COLOR" color11="COLOR" color12="COLOR" color13="COLOR" color14="COLOR" color15="COLOR" Whitespace is ignored in attributes unless within a quoted value. The character '#' is taken to begin a comment. Each '#' and all remaining characters on that line is ignored. FONT NAMES
xtermcontrol accepts any X(7x) FONT NAMES. Font names like '-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-60-iso8859-1' are very cumber- some to write, so it is convenient to make use of aliases, e.g. 'fixed' or '8x13', if present in fonts.alias files of the font directo- ries. COLOR NAMES
xtermcontrol accepts any X(7x) COLOR NAMES. Basically this means that colors are specified by name or rgb value, e.g. 'blue', 'rgb:0000/0000/FFFF' or '#00F'. Colors are typically reported by the xterm in a device-dependent numerical form, e.g. 'rgb:0000/0000/FFFF'. Note that old syntax rgb values should always be quoted to avoid '#' being interpreted as the beginning of a comment by the shell (see also FILES). XTERM CONTROL SEQUENCES
The secret behind xtermcontrol is xterm control sequences. All the possible (there are a plethora of them) control sequences are documented in ctlseqs.txt, found in the xterm(1) distribution (see also FILES). TROUBLESHOOTING
If read/write permissions on the tty's are changed so that special group membership is required to be able to write to the pseudo terminal, the easiest workaround is to install xtermcontrol setuid root. Xterm(1) has three resources, allowWindowOps, allowTitleOps, and allowFontOps, that enables or disables special operations which xtermcon- trol relies on. If any of these resources are set (or defaults) to 'false' xtermcontrol may hang. The resources corresponds to xtermcon- trol options as: allowWindowOps: --raise --lower --restore --maximize --iconify --de-iconify --get-title --geometry --get-geometry allowTitleOps: --title allowFontOps: --font --get-font All three resources can usually be enabled for the current xterm session via a menu; ctrl+rightclick and look for menu item names like 'Allow Window Ops'. To set these resource values persistently you can add the following to either your local ~/.Xdefaults file, or to a system-wide resource file like /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm: *VT100.allowWindowOps: true *VT100.allowTitleOps: true *VT100.allowFontOps: true FILES
<XRoot>/X11/rgb.txt Default rgb color name file location. ctlseqs.txt Xterm control sequences documentation. Distributed with xterm from http://dickey.his.com/xterm/ SEE ALSO
xterm(1), X(7x) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2009 Jess Thrysoee <jess@thrysoee.dk> xtermcontrol 2.10 October 17, 2009 XTERMCONTROL(1)