Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Triggering a script using POSTFIX.... Post 302995308 by drysdalk on Tuesday 4th of April 2017 10:44:13 AM
Old 04-04-2017
Hi,

This is possible, yes. I've done it myself in the past when this has been absolutely the only way I could remotely trigger something on a system (i.e. when SMTP was the only port a server could take incoming connections on, and so I had to use it as a crude job control method). It's not ideal, and you have to be absolutely sure that things are as locked-down security-wise as you can make them to eliminate this being a potential security hole, but if you really have to/need to, this is do-able.

I did it by having an entry in /etc/aliases for the SMTP username that then forwarded into a local pipe to my script.

So an entry like this in /etc/aliases

Code:
scriptuser: "|/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/bin/script.sh"

would pipe the full body of any e-mail received for the mailbox scriptuser into the script /usr/local/bin/script.sh, in this instance running it via sudo as well (assuming the script needs root access).

As I say, it's a crude method and you need to be as close to 100% sure as you can be that your script does every possible kind of sanity checking and input sanitising that you can think of. But it should work for you - it certainly has for me in the past, when I've had no other choice but to go down that road.
This User Gave Thanks to drysdalk For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triggering a Script Recursively With Different Parameter and in Different Process

Hi Every One I have a Compilation Script name scomp which takes the Program name as the command line argument I have around 10000 Programs to compile while each program takes around 10 mins to compile i have written a Mass Compile script Scripts which takes the list of programs as input... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP Script that sends mail - Postfix breaks it

I have a PHP Script that works perfectly on a server that uses Sendmail. However I tried to port it to a new server that has the Postfix to Sendmail compatibility interface, and it doesn't work properly. The php.ini file has the path for sendmail on both servers set to: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopfm523
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triggering my Unix script....

Hi All, i dont have any idea about perl scripting... i need some suggestion so that i can put my effort to find out the solution:D let me explain....one of my tedious task which will taken care by Unix shell script which i prepared. its a kind of routine work that i am running the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

postfix - reinject mail to postfix from hold queue directory

hi all. Am using smtpd_recipient_restrictions & check_recipient_access in postfix. The hash file looks like this: emailaddress1 HOLD emailaddress2 HOLD The aim is to place email from these recipients in the hold directory,check them then reinject them back in postfix on some... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script triggering Korn shell, how-to stop it?

Script_A.sh has echo "In am in script A" ksh ## K-shell is invoked. Script B.sh ## which I am writing... ./script_A.sh echo "I am in script B" return 0 When I run: $> Script_B.sh $> I am in script A $> Basically, on calling Script_A.sh from within Script_B.sh I have the issue of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baivab
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help with Postfix config issue - How to allow remote Exchange server to relay to my postfix

Hi guys One of our clients have a problem with sending email to a certain domain. No matter what we try, the mails just dont get delivered. What I did then, is created a new connector on their Exchange server, pointing all mail sent to their client at "domain1" to relay to our Postfix mail... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triggering remote UNIX shell script from Remote desktop

I m trying to run a batch script in remote desktop which executes unix commands on the unix server...the problem is i wnt the output in HTML format.so in my batch script i m giving the cmd like ssh hostname path ksh HC_Report.ksh>out.html ...but it generates the HTML file in remote desktop .i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navsan
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Postfix: Active Directory and postfix alias

I have a mailserver with postfix i want to alias all mail for administrator@domain.fqdn to root@domain.fqdn I have the aliases configured,and i did newliases but doesn't work. How to did this?Postfix is configured for virtual domain on ad server. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triggering UNIX Script from a JAVA program

Hi I am trying to implement one program, where JAVA needs to trigger the backend UNIX script. Tried with options like String cmdArray = {"/bin/ksh","-c","/SCRIPT_ABSOLUTE_PATH/sampleScript.ksh /FILE_ABSOLUTE_PATH Test_File.dat TEST E SFTP"} When I trigger the script from front end with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
1 Replies
INITSCRIPT(5)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     INITSCRIPT(5)

NAME
initscript - script that executes inittab commands. SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh /etc/initscript id runlevels action process DESCRIPTION
When the shell script /etc/initscript is present, init will use it to execute the commands from inittab. This script can be used to set things like ulimit and umask default values for every process. EXAMPLES
This is a sample initscript, which might be installed on your system as /etc/initscript.sample. # # initscript Executed by init(8) for every program it # wants to spawn like this: # # /bin/sh /etc/initscript <id> <level> <action> <process> # # Set umask to safe level, and enable core dumps. umask 022 ulimit -c 2097151 PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin export PATH # Increase the hard file descriptor limit for all processes # to 8192. The soft limit is still 1024, but any unprivileged # process can increase its soft limit up to the hard limit # with "ulimit -Sn xxx" (needs a 2.2.13 or later Linux kernel). ulimit -Hn 8192 # Execute the program. eval exec "$4" NOTES
This script is not meant as startup script for daemons or somesuch. It has nothing to do with a rc.local style script. It's just a handler for things executed from /etc/inittab. Experimenting with this can make your system un(re)bootable. FILES
/etc/inittab, /etc/initscript. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg ,<miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). July 10, 2003 INITSCRIPT(5)