Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Problems after filesystem housekeeping Post 302995124 by Don Cragun on Friday 31st of March 2017 07:37:35 PM
Old 03-31-2017
I knew that you were removing the files while running as root. But the symptoms you are describing are those of removing something other than a directory containing old files. It sounds a lot more like you are removing all of the files starting a layer or two higher in the directory hierarchy than the file hierarchy rooted in /var/adm/syslog/logarch.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

housekeeping

hey, I have to write a housekeeping script which would delete any files which are more than 10 days old, the file is named in such a fashion MYTEST20060101_182239.txt MYXML20060112_182879.xml MYEXCEL20060113_546321.xls If the current date is 20060112, then MYTEST20060101_182239.txt will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems filesystem

Hi, I've a Unixware 7.1.4, the machine has 3 disks, the second disk is not mounted, he said the message "WARNING: msgcnt 2 vxfs: mesg 021: vx_fs_init - /dev/dsk/c0b0t1d0s1 file system validation failure". I use the fsck command to check and repair, during the pocess apears messages to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: By_Jam
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filesystem Monitoring script problems

Hi there all, #!/usr/bin/ksh Set -x MIN_MB_FREE="100MB" # Min. MB of Free FS Space MAX_PERCENT="85%" # Max. FS percentage value FSTRIGGER="1000MB" # Trigger to switch from % Used to MB Free WORKFILE="/tmp/df.work" # Holds filesystem data >$WORKFILE #... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: draco
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Housekeeping Not Working

Hi, I have a .ksh script which finds all the directories older than 84 days and tries to housekeep. Below is the command used find * -depth -type d -ctime +84 -exec rm -rf {} \; The above command lists all the directories ie child and parent directory in descending order which are more... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: annamalai77
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Housekeeping script

I have a directory ( eg. /tmp , there are many files in it , I would like to do the houskeeping job , can advise how to develop a script to do the following . 1) if the files are elder than 10 days in this directory , the extension is .txt , then move it to /tmp/tmp-txt , the same , if the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
2 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Filesystem Problems with DMG

Hi all! I have a task that has been giving me problems.I have my sister-in-law's external hard drive that has been damaged and the filesystem is not mountable. I am on a Mac running OSX 10.6.8 Using ddrescue, I recovered the contents and transferred to my external drive: sudo ddrescue... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imhotep1963
0 Replies

8. AIX

Housekeeping null 2>&1 in /dev

Hello, Does anyone know how to housekeeping the null 2>&1 file in /dev? its fill up my system, please help. Thanks :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: only
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[Tip] Housekeeping Tasks Made Easy - User Home directories and Leftover Files

We have regularly questions about how to create users and user accounts. But regularly user accounts need to be deleted too. It is quite easy to delete the user account itself but usually the HOME directory of the user remains. It is good style to remove these directories but simply deleting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
3 Replies
GIT-CLEAN(1)							    Git Manual							      GIT-CLEAN(1)

NAME
git-clean - Remove untracked files from the working tree SYNOPSIS
git clean [-d] [-f] [-n] [-q] [-x | -X] [--] <path>... DESCRIPTION
Cleans the working tree by recursively removing files that are not under version control, starting from the current directory. Normally, only files unknown to git are removed, but if the -x option is specified, ignored files are also removed. This can, for example, be useful to remove all build products. If any optional <path>... arguments are given, only those paths are affected. OPTIONS
-d Remove untracked directories in addition to untracked files. If an untracked directory is managed by a different git repository, it is not removed by default. Use -f option twice if you really want to remove such a directory. -f, --force If the git configuration variable clean.requireForce is not set to false, git clean will refuse to run unless given -f or -n. -n, --dry-run Don't actually remove anything, just show what would be done. -q, --quiet Be quiet, only report errors, but not the files that are successfully removed. -x Don't use the ignore rules. This allows removing all untracked files, including build products. This can be used (possibly in conjunction with git reset) to create a pristine working directory to test a clean build. -X Remove only files ignored by git. This may be useful to rebuild everything from scratch, but keep manually created files. AUTHOR
Written by Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org[1]> GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. proski@gnu.org mailto:proski@gnu.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-CLEAN(1)