Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Basic Shell script - Not working Post 302995095 by RudiC on Friday 31st of March 2017 01:55:09 PM
Old 03-31-2017
"Pretty similar" code doesn't necessarily result in "identical" behaviour. If OS, shell, and environment are the same, I'd be very surprised if identical loops would NOT execute identically.
If you want pople in here to have a look, post both code snippets, eventually with the necessary context information.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a quick basic shell script help

im trying to run the below if command ifconfig -a |grep 10.100.120.21 gives me below output inet addr:10.100.120.21 Bcast:10.100.120.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 i just want a basic shell which says if above exists then continue how would i do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eb222
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell script syntax help

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. I have a variable which holds a numeric value.I have to check whether this variable holds a value between(0- 8),(8-17)(17-24).How do i write this syntax using if in shell scripting. Thanks Vignesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script basic doubt

hi, I am new script learner, so my basic doubt is , how to store value of any command in a variable example $ ls | wc -l i want to stote the output of this in a variable c. so that i can use c in if else loop. and when do we use " ` " symbol in script.. can anyone also tell for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hi2_t
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell Script Help

Lets say I wanted to create a script that would show what people are doing on my machine using the w command and refresh in about 6 seconds. What would be the easiest way to do this? I pretty much want the script to loop until I stop it. I'm using the BASH shell by the way. Help is appreciated.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c4391
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic shell script help

Im trying to make a script that simply adds a word to the last available line in a txt file without overwriting any previous lines. Ive googled this and there are great examples but no one explain what each function does, and i dont entirely understand how it works. Basically Im looking for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylecn
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help! Basic shell script advice

##### (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AidoPotato
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic question on shell script execution

I have two shell scripts in the different directories listed below, /root/dev/dir1/test.sh /root/dev/dir2/master.sh I am executing the master.sh script from the test.sh like below and getting 'Permission denied' error. #! /bin/sh #test.sh path='/root/dev' $path/dir2/master.sh But it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with basic script - not working..

Here is the script I wrote... Pls. help. #!/bin/ksh for SERVER in NEWSNYD403P NEWSNYD404P SNEWSNYD601P SNEWSNYD602P SNEWSDNY603P SNEWSNYD604P do /usr/bin/scp "/home/sam/bash.tar root@$SERVER":/tmp done Error msg I get: ./scp_script.sh: syntax error at line 3:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a little help with my first shell script. Basic image resize script...

Hey everyone, just now joined because I didn't want to go onto Ubuntu forums and start asking about how to write shell scripts. Seems like this is a pretty active forum for exactly what I need. I'm trying to modify a shell script I found online, the end goal is to have it find all files in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mozzles
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Combination Shell Script

I need to have a script read a file that has a list of words in a single column like below:Black Blue Brown Orange Red Yellow Green White Purple Silver Grey Tan Then print to another file just all of the two-word possible combinations. Example: Black,Blue Anyone want to take a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vespasian
4 Replies
fgetpos64(3S)															     fgetpos64(3S)

NAME
fgetpos64(), fopen64(), freopen64(), fseeko64(), fsetpos64(), fstatvfsdev64(), ftello64(), ftw64(), nftw64(), statvfsdev64(), tmpfile64() - non-POSIX standard API interfaces to support large files. SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
New API's to support large files. These API interfaces are not a part of the POSIX standard and may be removed in the future. The function is identical to except that returns the position in a instead of a All other functional behaviors, returns, and errors are identical. The function is identical to in 64-bit compile environment. The function returns a pointer to a FILE which can be used to grow the file past 2 GB if desired. All other functional behaviors, returns, and errors are identical to The function is identical to in 64-bit compile environment. The function returns a pointer to a FILE which can be used to grow the file past 2 GB if desired. All other functional behaviors, returns, and errors are identical to The function is identical to except that accepts an for the size parameter instead of All other functional behaviors, returns, and errors are identical. The function is identical to except that accepts an for the pos parameter instead of All other functional behaviors, returns, and errors are identical. The function is identical to except that accepts a for the second parameter instead of All other functional behaviors, returns, and errors are identical. The function is identical to except that returns the file position in an instead of an All other functional behaviors, returns, and errors are identical. The function is identical to except that it that it utilizes a as the second parameter to the function whose pointer is passed to All other functional behaviors, returns, and errors are identical. The function is identical to except that it that it utilizes a as the second parameter to the function whose pointer is passed to All other functional behaviors, returns, and errors are identical. The function is identical to except that accepts a for the second parameter instead of All other functional behaviors, returns, and errors are identical. The function is identical to in the 64-bit compile environment. Both interfaces create a temporary file that is capable of growing beyond 2GB's if desired. All other functional behaviors, returns, and errors are identical. SEE ALSO
thread_safety(5). fgetpos64(3S)