Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Implementing linked list in shell scripting Post 302994942 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 29th of March 2017 05:16:45 PM
Old 03-29-2017
I'd use arrays. One for the values and one for the next index.

Here is an example of a sorted linked list:

Code:
llinsert() {
   local END=${#LST[@]}
   local i

for((i=0; NXT[i]; i=NXT[i]))
   do
     if [ "${LST[NXT[i]]}" \> "$1" ]
     then
        ((i=NXT[i]))
        LST[END]=${LST[i]}
        LST[i]="$1"
        ((NXT[END]=NXT[i]))
        ((NXT[i]=END))
        return
     fi
   done

LST[END]="$1"
   ((NXT[i]=END))
   NXT[END]=0
}

llfirst() {
  pos=NXT[0]
  echo "${LST[pos]}"
}

llnext() {
   (( NXT[pos] )) && {
       ((pos=NXT[pos]))
       echo "${LST[pos]}"
   }
}

LST=("")

llinsert "please"
llinsert "sort"
llinsert "this"
llinsert "small"
llinsert "list"
llinsert "of"
llinsert "words"

llfirst
while llnext
do
  :
done

# Debug - Output array contents
echo
printf "%-4s %-8s %-3s\n" Idx LST NXT
printf "%-4s %-8s %-3s\n" --- -------- ---
for((i=0;i<${#NXT[@]};i++)) {
   printf "%-4s %-8s %-3s\n" "$i" "${LST[i]}" "${NXT[i]}"
}

Output:

Code:
list
of
please
small
sort
this
words

Idx  LST      NXT
---  -------- ---
0             1  
1    list     5  
2    small    4  
3    this     7  
4    sort     3  
5    of       6  
6    please   2  
7    words    0

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 03-29-2017 at 06:27 PM..
These 4 Users Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reverse single linked list

Can any one help me in reversing the single linked list and at the same time i want to print the reversed links. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List linked files

A perl script that displays the list of files which have multiple links..! ls -l shows number of links in a field. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting Reading List

Hello Everyone, Over the last few months I have begun to expand my programing skills from windows, Java and SQL / PL-SQL programing into the wonderful world of shell scripting. With little training budget my only options for training are books, Internet and this site (BTY... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: caddis
1 Replies

4. Programming

I need C++ Code for single linked list

I need C++ Code for single linked list With operations as 1)insert at any position 2)delete any 3)change the data of any position (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
2 Replies

5. Programming

Help with linked list in C

i have this code typedef struct client_list { char *client_name; struct client_list * next; int client_socket_fd; } client; client *current, *head; head = NULL; char *h="test"; add_client(current, h, head, &client_socket_fd); ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
24 Replies

6. Programming

How to check if something exists in linked list in C?

i have a linked list set up like typedef struct client_list { char *client_name; int client_socket_fd; struct client_list *next; } client; client *client_list=NULL; before adding to the list i check if it already exists, only if it does not then i add if (client_list==NULL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix linked-list placement

Hi, I am programming in kernel, and I want to use a double linked list that holds infos that every process could access and modify THIS list. So, I suppose it is a 'global' variable since every process(thread) can reach it, I am wondering where to put it? by changing some of the kernel files? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: louisTan
1 Replies

8. Programming

Help with linked list.

#include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> struct LinkedList { int val; struct LinkedList *next; }node; /*Creating a structure variable*/ typedef struct LinkedList Node; Node *start = NULL; int create(int i) { Node *temp = NULL; if (start == NULL) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prinsh
5 Replies

9. Programming

How to delete the last node in a linked list.?

How to delete the last node in a single linked list given only the pointer to last node ? Head node will not be given. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSSajjan
5 Replies

10. Programming

How to reverse a linked list by traversing only once.?

Program to reverse a linked list by traversing only once. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VSSajjan
1 Replies
apache_mod_perl-108~358::mod_perl-2.0.7::docs::api::ModPUser:Contributed Perapache_mod_perl-108~358::mod_perl-2.0.7::docs::api::ModPerl::Global(3)

NAME
ModPerl::Global -- Perl API for manipulating special Perl lists Synopsis use ModPerl::Global (); my $package = 'MyApache2::Package'; # make the END blocks of this package special ModPerl::Global::special_list_register(END => $package); # Execute all encoutered END blocks from this package now ModPerl::Global::special_list_call( END => $package); # delete the list of END blocks ModPerl::Global::special_list_clear( END => $package); Description "ModPerl::Global" provides an API to manipulate special perl lists. At the moment only the "END" blocks list is supported. This API allows you to change the normal Perl behavior, and execute special lists when you need to. For example "ModPerl::RegistryCooker" uses it to run "END" blocks in the scripts at the end of each request. Before loading a module containing package $package, you need to register it, so the special blocks will be intercepted by mod_perl and not given to Perl. "special_list_register" does that. Later on when you want to execute the special blocks, "special_list_call" should be called. Unless you want to call the list more than once, clear the list with "special_list_clear". API
"ModPerl::Global" provides the following methods: "special_list_call" Call the special list $ok = special_list_call($key => $package); arg1: $key ( string ) The name of the special list. At the moment only 'END' is supported. arg2: $package ( string ) what package to special list is for ret: $ok ( boolean ) true value if $key is known, false otherwise. since: 2.0.00 "special_list_clear" Clear the special list $ok = special_list_clear($key => $package); arg1: $key ( string ) The name of the special list. At the moment only 'END' is supported. arg2: $package ( string ) what package to special list is for ret: $ok ( boolean ) true value if $key is known, false otherwise. since: 2.0.00 "special_list_register" Register the special list $ok = special_list_call($key => $package); arg1: $key ( string ) The name of the special list. At the moment only 'END' is supported. arg2: $package ( string ) what package to special list is for ret: $ok ( boolean ) true value if $key is known, false otherwise. since: 2.0.00 Notice that you need to register the package before it is loaded. If you register it after, Perl has already compiled the "END" blocks and there are no longer under your control. See Also mod_perl 2.0 documentation. Copyright mod_perl 2.0 and its core modules are copyrighted under The Apache Software License, Version 2.0. Authors The mod_perl development team and numerous contributors. perl v5.16.2 2011-02-apache_mod_perl-108~358::mod_perl-2.0.7::docs::api::ModPerl::Global(3)