Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Replace consecutive occurrence of string in same line Post 302994885 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 29th of March 2017 07:36:23 AM
Old 03-29-2017
Another solution is to just run your global substitution twice:
Code:
sed -e 's/|\.|/||/g' -e 's/|\.|/||/g'

which, with your latest sample input:
Code:
123.5|ABC.|.|.|.
234.4|DEF|.|.|.|.|.|

produces the output:
Code:
123.5|ABC.|||.
234.4|DEF||||||

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace to first occurrence of string

Hi all, I have a very large; delimited file. In vi I would like to replace: CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT1;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_1;#;A CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT2;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_2;#;A CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT3;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_3;#;A with: CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT1;Average... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilmord
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED replace string by occurrence

hi all, I have a text file with following content PAGENUMBER asasasa asasasa PAGENUMBER sasasasasa PAGENUMBER using sed i want to replace PAGENUMBER by occurrence count eg 1 asasasa asasasa 2 sasasasasa 3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace x Number of String Occurrence with Sed

Ok, So I have a huge file that has over 12000 lines in it. in this file, there are 589 occurrences of the string "use five-minute-interval" spread in various areas in the file. How can i replace the the last 250 of the occurrences of "use five-minute-interval" with "use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

4. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two non-consecutive lines based on line number or string

This is a variation of an earlier post found here: unixcom/shell-programming-scripting/159821-merge-two-non-consecutive-lines.html User Bartus11 was kind enough to solve that example. Previously, I needed help combining two lines that are non-consecutive in a file. Now I need to do the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: munkee
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string occurrence if twice in a line

Hello All, I want to check if a delimiter is existing twice in a line of a text file. Suppose flat file is like this 234 | 123 123 | 345 456 | 563 | 234 | 548 So the the 3rd line has two delimiters, How can we find the lines in such a file having more then one delimiters I tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep 2 consecutive lines and replace the second line in a file

I have a file lake this cat ex1.txt </DISCOUNTS> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="0"> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="0"> <DESCR>Netti 2 </DESCR> <NUMBER>D02021507505</NUMBER> </B2B_SPECIFICATION> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="1"> <DESCR>Puhepaketti</DESCR>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhoni
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first occurrence of a string in while loop

####Solved#### Hello, My aim is to replace searched string with incremented value under ubuntu 16.04. Example: aasasasas 9030 31wwo weopwoep weerasas 9030 ew31wo ieopwoep bbqqqsas 9030 ew3swo ieeopwoep ccsaqpas 9030 ewiro o2opwoep Expected: aasasasas 9030 31wwo weopwoep weerasas 9031... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
Locale::Language(3perl) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Locale::Language(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Language - standard codes for language identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Language; $lang = code2language('en'); # $lang gets 'English' $code = language2code('French'); # $code gets 'fr' @codes = all_language_codes(); @names = all_language_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Language" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying languages, such as those as defined in ISO 639. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639 two- letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying languages. The ones currently supported are: alpha-2 This is the set of two-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639, such as 'he' for Hebrew. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_2". This is the default code set. alpha-3 This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) bibliographic codes from ISO 639, such as 'heb' for Hebrew. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_3". term This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) terminologic codes from ISO 639. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_TERM". ROUTINES
code2language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) language2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) language_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_language_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_language_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Language::rename_language ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Language::delete_language_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Language::rename_language_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ Source of the ISO 639 codes. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Language(3perl)