Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Replace consecutive occurrence of string in same line Post 302994869 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 29th of March 2017 04:10:39 AM
Old 03-29-2017
With the g modifier, what matched once is out of scope for another match.
But a loop can do it
Code:
sed '
:L
s/|\.|/||/
tL
'

Another solution is perl: by using a look-ahead an RE substitution with g modifier will do it.

---------- Post updated at 03:10 ---------- Previous update was at 00:58 ----------

For completeness, here it is:
Code:
perl -pe 's/\|\.(?=\|)/|/g'

The (?= ) is the look-ahead; hard to remember, I always consult this tutorial.
Because the look-ahead is not part of the match, it must be not restored in the substitution.
Perl(version >= 5) uses an extended regular expression: | means "or", must be \escaped.

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 03-29-2017 at 05:18 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace to first occurrence of string

Hi all, I have a very large; delimited file. In vi I would like to replace: CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT1;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_1;#;A CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT2;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_2;#;A CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT3;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_3;#;A with: CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT1;Average... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilmord
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED replace string by occurrence

hi all, I have a text file with following content PAGENUMBER asasasa asasasa PAGENUMBER sasasasasa PAGENUMBER using sed i want to replace PAGENUMBER by occurrence count eg 1 asasasa asasasa 2 sasasasasa 3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace x Number of String Occurrence with Sed

Ok, So I have a huge file that has over 12000 lines in it. in this file, there are 589 occurrences of the string "use five-minute-interval" spread in various areas in the file. How can i replace the the last 250 of the occurrences of "use five-minute-interval" with "use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

4. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two non-consecutive lines based on line number or string

This is a variation of an earlier post found here: unixcom/shell-programming-scripting/159821-merge-two-non-consecutive-lines.html User Bartus11 was kind enough to solve that example. Previously, I needed help combining two lines that are non-consecutive in a file. Now I need to do the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: munkee
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string occurrence if twice in a line

Hello All, I want to check if a delimiter is existing twice in a line of a text file. Suppose flat file is like this 234 | 123 123 | 345 456 | 563 | 234 | 548 So the the 3rd line has two delimiters, How can we find the lines in such a file having more then one delimiters I tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep 2 consecutive lines and replace the second line in a file

I have a file lake this cat ex1.txt </DISCOUNTS> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="0"> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="0"> <DESCR>Netti 2 </DESCR> <NUMBER>D02021507505</NUMBER> </B2B_SPECIFICATION> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="1"> <DESCR>Puhepaketti</DESCR>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhoni
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first occurrence of a string in while loop

####Solved#### Hello, My aim is to replace searched string with incremented value under ubuntu 16.04. Example: aasasasas 9030 31wwo weopwoep weerasas 9030 ew31wo ieopwoep bbqqqsas 9030 ew3swo ieeopwoep ccsaqpas 9030 ewiro o2opwoep Expected: aasasasas 9030 31wwo weopwoep weerasas 9031... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
CQTEST(8C)																CQTEST(8C)

NAME
cqtest - HylaFAX copy quality checking test program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cqtest [ options ] input.tif DESCRIPTION
cqtest is a program for testing the copy quality checking support in the HylaFAX software (specifically, in the faxgetty(8C) program). cqtest takes a TIFF/F (TIFF Class F) file and generates a new TIFF/F file that is a copy of the input file, but with any erroneous scan- lines replaced/regenerated. In addition, cqtest prints diagnostic messages describing its actions and indicates whether the input data has acceptable copy quality according to the copy quality checking threshold parameters. Options are provided for specifying copy quality checking threshold parameters OPTIONS
-m badlines Set the maximum consecutive bad lines of data that may appear in each acceptable page of input data. This is equivalent to the MaxConsecutiveBadLines configuration parameter; c.f. hylafax-config(5F). By default cqtest accepts no more than 5 con- secutive bad lines in a page. -o file Write output to file. By default output is written to the file cq.tif. -p %goodlines Set the minimum percentage of ``good lines'' of data that may appear in acceptable page of input data. A line is good if it decodes without error to a row of pixels that is the expected width. This is equivalent to the PercentGoodLines configura- tion parameter; c.f. hylafax-config(5F). By default cqtest requires that 95% of the rows of each page be good. EXAMPLES
The following shows a multi-page, high-resolution document with a single error on each page. Each page has acceptable copy quality using the default threshold parameters. hyla% /usr/sbin/cqtest ~/tiff/pics/faxix.tif 1728 x 297, 7.7 line/mm, 1-D MH, lsb-to-msb RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 245, got 1616, expected 1728 RECV: 2234 total lines, 1 bad lines, 1 consecutive bad lines 1728 x 297, 7.7 line/mm, 1-D MH, lsb-to-msb RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 148, got 3023, expected 1728 RECV: 2234 total lines, 1 bad lines, 1 consecutive bad lines 1728 x 297, 7.7 line/mm, 1-D MH, lsb-to-msb RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 151, got 1722, expected 1728 RECV: 2234 total lines, 1 bad lines, 1 consecutive bad lines 1728 x 297, 7.7 line/mm, 1-D MH, lsb-to-msb RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 148, got 1776, expected 1728 RECV: 2234 total lines, 1 bad lines, 1 consecutive bad lines SEE ALSO
faxgetty(8C), hylafax-config(5F) October 3, 1995 CQTEST(8C)