Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there a BASH script allowing me to grep specifics from /var/log/messages? Post 302994563 by vgplayer54 on Friday 24th of March 2017 12:50:08 PM
Old 03-24-2017
Wrench Is there a BASH script allowing me to grep specifics from /var/log/messages?

I am wondering if there is a script (if one exists, not confident in my own scripting ability) that is able to bring up specified information from the /var/log/messages. I need to show logged traffic on specific dates and times and protocols (ie. Show all insecure FTP traffic (most likely via port number) on October 23 between 12:30pm and 12:35pm). Is there a script that can do this? No matter what I try, mine aren't working too well

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/var/adm/messages vs /var/log/messages

The /var/adm/messages in Solaris seem to log more system messages/errors compared to /var/log/messages in Linux. I checked the log level in Linux and they seem OK. Is there any other log file that contains the messages or is it just that Linux doesn't log great many things? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/sudoers for allowing oracle user to /var/log/messages

So I want the DBA to access /var/log/messages and so I logged in as root and then edited the sudoers file as follows "oracle ALL= (root) /bin/view, /var/log/messages" However when I login as oracle and try "sudo more /var/log/messages" I get Sorry, user oracle is not allowed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fprintd messages in /var/log/messages

Whenever a user uses su I get the following error messages in /var/log/messages: Nov 23 04:24:55 <REMOVED> abrt: saved core dump of pid 26141 (/usr/libexec/fprintd) to /var/spool/abrt/ccpp-1322018695-26141.new/coredump (753664 bytes) Nov 23 04:24:55 <REMOVED> abrtd: Directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JakesHat
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor /var/log/messages

Hello All, I want to write a script to monitor my product logs from /var/log/messages and send notifications without using "tail -f" command.Please suggest alternatives and any other tools for monitoring and alerting. Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cva2568
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages

Below is my script to log all the command input by any user to /var/log/messages. But I cant achieve the desired output that i want. PLease see below. function log2syslog { declare COMMAND COMMAND=$(fc -ln -0) logger -p local1.notice -t bash -i -- "$USER:$COMMAND" } trap... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog

I have been searching and reading about syslog. I would like to know how to Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog. tail -f /var/log/messages dblogger: msg_to_dbrow: no logtype using missing dblogger: msg_to_dbrow_str: val ==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] script is filling up my /var/log

I am trying to create a script that checks if my VPN connection is up and running... Everything seems to work as except but for some reason, the script fills up my /var/log/auth.log with the below information Dec 13 01:07:44 debian sudo: soichiro : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/soichiro/Desktop ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: soichiro
5 Replies
WONDERSHAPER(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   WONDERSHAPER(8)

NAME
wondershaper - simple traffic shaping script SYNOPSIS
wondershaper [interface] wondershaper clear [interface] wondershaper [interface] [downlink] [uplink] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the wondershaper script. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original script does not have a manual page. wondershaper is a traffic shaping script that provides low latency, prioritizes bulk transfers below normal web traffic, prioritizes inter- active shells above normal web traffic, and attempts to prevent upload and download traffic from affecting each other's ack packets. Put simply, the wondershaper makes your internet connection more "responsive" SYNTAX
A summary of wondershaper syntax is included below. For a complete description, see the files in /usr/share/doc/wondershaper. wondershaper [ interface ] Shows the status of traffic shaping on that interface. wondershaper clear [ interface ] Removes all traffic shaping from that interface. wondershaper [ interface ] [ downlink ] [ uplink ] Configures the wondershaper on the specified interface, given the specified downlink speed in kilobits per second, and the specified uplink speed in kilobits per second. SEE ALSO
The programs are documented fully by: /usr/share/doc/wondershaper/README.Debian.gz /usr/share/doc/wondershaper/README.gz AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Vince Mulhollon <vlm@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). May 30, 2004 WONDERSHAPER(8)