Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting In shell scripting found "\n-" and don't know what is it for Post 302994413 by digioleg54 on Wednesday 22nd of March 2017 04:07:23 PM
Old 03-22-2017
In shell scripting found "\n-" and don't know what is it for

Working on UNIX shell scripting I found in env file the following
Code:
 export H1="\n- "
 echo "${H1} Waiting for dependencies of ${MONITOR_KEY} to be satisfied ..."  >> ${LOG}

What is in shell
Code:
 \n-

The new line character?

Thanks for contribution

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell scripting "delete"

I would like to delete a complete line which have particular word., and along with next line For Eg: disk 491 5/0/1/1/0.116.23.19.0.1.7 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE /dev/dsk/c107t1d7 /dev/rdsk/c107t1d7 I am able to delete complete line by matching that word "CLAIMED" by using this following... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prablr
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem executing awk in shell "not found"

Hello, The INPUT file a.txt contains this a a a b b b I'm trying to execute this shell script from the Unix Command Line like this: ./k.sh a.txt > newfile.txt #!/usr/bin/sh infile="$1" awk '{print $0;}' < $infile I get this error message on the command line: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Command not found" doing a while loop in bash/shell

i=0 numberofproducts=${#urls} #gets number of entries in array called "urls" numberofproductsminusone=`expr $numberofproducts - 1` #-subtract by one while do wget ${urls} i=$(( $i + 1 )) sleep 10 done I'm getting an error ./scrape: line 22: [0: command not found that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)