Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Cmd 'cat /dev/urandom' not closing cleanly Post 302994400 by user052009 on Wednesday 22nd of March 2017 12:41:58 PM
Old 03-22-2017
Cmd 'cat /dev/urandom' not closing cleanly

Hi

I'm running the following command to generate a random password in a KSH script on a RHEL Linux VM but for some reason the cmd is not being closed and it's causing problems on the host.

Code:
PASSWORD="$(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc "a-zA-Z0-9" | fold -w 16 | head -1)Aa0!"

The code worked as expected but the side effects were definitely unexpected. Any idea how I can enhance this to ensure the urandom stream gets closed after it's been called and therefore prevent the server from becoming overloaded?
Many thanks.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/urandom

Hi, how do I use /dev/urandom to generate a single number between 1-100? I can od /dev/urandom but it gives me an endless list of random numbers, I just want 1 between 1-100. How can I get that? Thanks. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Takumi
12 Replies

2. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat /dev/null

Hi, Excuse my ignorance here - I'm a networks man and my knowledge of all things unix is somewhat limited. We have a very large file (/var/tmp/mond.log) that we need to zero - does the "cat /dev/null > /var/tmp/mond.log" command achieve this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakydancer
4 Replies

4. Slackware

Can't play sound files with aplay or cat to /dev/dsp

I am having problems using soundes. Until a few moments ago the following commands produced errors and no sound: cat /usr/share/apps/kolf/sounds/blackhole.wav/ > /dev/dsp yielded: /dev/dsp: Invalid argument cat /usr/share/apps/kolf/sounds/blackhole.wav > /dev/audio yelded: /dev/audio:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error output of cat to /dev/null

Hello, I'm trying to send the error output of a 'cat' operation to /dev/null like this: cat /dirA/dirB/temp*.log > /dirA/dirB/final.log 2>/dev/null This works perfectly in a terminal, but not when placed in a script. If there are no files matching temp*.log the script outputs an error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nils88
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory fault(coredump) while using cat cmd

i have few log files that are input to my perl script... i am executing the script as below cat RTR*.log | test.pl and getting the following error -ksh: 25014: Memory fault(coredump) cat: write error: Connection reset by peer can anyone help me on this.... Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niteesh_!7
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cleanly log out a user w/o killing process

My AIX-based accounting program runs an end-of-day process that requires all users to be logged out. Sometimes I have a user that leaves for the day and forgets to logout. Is there any way I can cleanly log a user out without killing their process? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DLS1701
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

Dev/urandom and dev/random missing in HP-UX

Hi, In our HP-UX B.11.11. I could not find dev/urandom and dev/random Are all pseudo-devices implemented as device drivers, or in need to run /configure some package to install the package to have dev/urandom. Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashi
4 Replies