Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ubuntu 16 Bash strange output Post 302994186 by lim-lim on Monday 20th of March 2017 08:08:29 AM
Old 03-20-2017
You were right however. It was CR line terminators, I just did not check that properly.

Fromdos and dos2unix did not help, dunno why, but what helped was
Code:
vim list.txt +"%s/\r/\r/g" +wq

Then everything worked

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 03-20-2017 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange output from grep

Hi, I am getting different output for grep depending which directory I am in. The following is a transcript of my session, I am using egrep but have also used grep -E. The directory names have been changed for security: $pwd /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 $echo 000000 |egrep -v $echo $? 1 $cd ..... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange output

I had a similar script in solaris and it had no problem. I wrote this one in freeBSD and it gave me strange output. Can anyone please tell me why? thanks a lot #!/bin/sh #This is a shell script that checks file system capacity mounted on /home directory #If file system is over 90% capacity,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k2k
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Ubuntu Jaunty's strange behaviour

Hi! My system seems to going crazy... Yesterday it flushes some settings, some settings it leave... I can't find the link between the settings it had reset: some of these settings I made two days ago and system was working fine and some more than a month ago. System's log says nothing. Moreover,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange error in bash script

Howdy all, I have a scritp that does a sqldump. But for some goofy reason, a certain part of it behaves uber strange. It does a daily dump of my sql, according to parameters I enter in hardcode. The script is: #!/bin/bash APP_NAME="app_com_site" wikiname="wiki_com_site" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saariko
8 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Ubuntu strange behavior

It is so till login screen. I mean that when I boot my computer, Ubuntu shows a splash screen with mouse instead of Ubuntu logo and in the login screen it shows XUbuntu login screen... It began when I upgraded to previous kernel, I suppose, but I'm not sure... I can't say that it annoys me very... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Getting strange output of who -r command

Hi At OK> prompt, I have run the boot -s command After system is coming on to multiuser state, when I run the " who -r" command, I get the following message # who -r run-level Oct 17 03:48 last= Means I dont see "S" after run-level keyword. Could any one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strange output with du

Can someone please explain why I get two outputs with the du command? The first one gave me one. I also didn't ask for the second directory so why did it give that directory? $ du -h "/media/Part 1/Desktop/playlist" 775M /media/Part 1/Desktop/playlist $ du -h "/media/Part... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange suppression of output with bash and cygwin

Hi, although I am not expert in bash, so please forgive me if this is silly, I think that this is strange: I have this command: find . -type f -print0 |xargs -0 grep -i -e 'some rexp' and it works fine. But when I create a bash script (on cygwin) to run this command, there is no output !!!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niki999
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange output from find

How can I prevent find from outputting the directory name /home/xxxxxxxx/Backup/.system (which isn't even "other writable"? I am trying to search for files that are "world writable" on a shared web host using the find statement, and I want to prevent find from creating an error (because the of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo's strange output

Hi, Kindly help me to understand the behavior or logic of the below shell command $ echo $!# echo $echo $ $ $ echo !$# echo $# 0 I am using GNU bash, version 3.2.25(1)-release (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies
WHAT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     WHAT-PATCH(1)

NAME
what-patch - detect which patch system a Debian package uses SYNOPSIS
what-patch [options] DESCRIPTION
what-patch examines the debian/rules file to determine which patch system the Debian package is using. what-patch should be run from the root directory of the Debian source package. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for what-patch: -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -v Enable verbose mode. This will include the listing of any files modified outside or the debian/ directory and report any additional details about the patch system if available. AUTHORS
what-patch was written by Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com>, Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>, and Daniel Hahler <ubuntu@thequod.de>, among others. This manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. SEE ALSO
The Ubuntu MOTU team has some documentation about patch systems at the Ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems cdbs-edit-patch(1), dbs-edit-patch(1), dpatch-edit-patch(1) DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WHAT-PATCH(1)