Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to ping multiple servers Post 302993995 by rbatte1 on Friday 17th of March 2017 07:55:45 AM
Old 03-17-2017
Are these servers in a reasonable subnet? e.g. 10.1.1.x

If they are, then you might consider nmap which can ping a range of servers. Beware that by default it will probe all sorts of ports, which might not be what you want and can cause anti-intrusion alerts to be triggered.

Do not do this to public internet servers else your ISP or others may cut you off.

Something like this might do the trick:
Code:
nmap -n -v -oG - -sn ip-range

You will need to confirm the correct flags for your implementation. The IP range can be a string such as (in the example above) 10.1.1.0/24 so it will scan the whole class C subnet.

Going with a smaller netmask (i.e. the /24 reducing to /23 or less) will exponentially increase the number of ip addresses tried and exponentially increase the execution time.

It will also increase the likelihood of triggering anti-intrusion alerts, which may be "detrimental to your career prospects"

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to ping servers

Hi , I would like to automate a script to ping all the unix servers perodically thru cronjob. Is there any script out there? If so Please give me. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent wrong user from using shell script for multiple remote servers

Hi, I am running a shell script from a central server to multiple remote servers using the following code: application_check() { # Linux/UNIX box with ssh key based login SERVERS=`cat /tmp/server-details` # SSH User name USR="user" # create new file > /tmp/abc.log # connect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to change the password on multiple servers in linux

Can any one please let me know the shell script to change the password for a particular user on multiple linux servers. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_madras
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping the hostname of many servers using a script

Hi We have some 300 servers in the Data center and some of them are running with AIX and some of them are running with Solaris. I need a script which can be run in one of the server and that script should ping the hostname of all the 300 servers. Also the script should notify if any server is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

run vi/vim encrypted shell script without decryption on multiple servers

Hello Everyone, How do we run vi/vim encrypted shell script without decryption on multiple servers. It is a simple bash script and vim -nx <filename> has been used to encrypt with desired password. Now I have few errors, the syntax is absolutely fine as I have run that script multiple times on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to connect to multiple ssh servers

Hello, I have access to several linux servers (mostly centos based) located in a DC in another country. from day to day I need to login to each of them to do some work (they dont have gui/window manager installed, I work only from console), or even to just do a check like df -h for disc usage.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaRiOsGR
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Ping Servers

Hey, It's me again! Still trying to learn to become a better scripter on the job :) New challenge for assistance, if anyone cares to help, and its two parted! First part, I wanted to create a script at work that would ping a server that was supplied in an argument, then a count (amount of times)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping script to list of servers

Hi Friends, I have experience in redhat/ Ubuntu OS, but I am very new to solaries os. my servers OS is Oracle Solaris 10 8/11 s10x_u10wos_17b X86. I have a file contains 200 servers IPs one by one. now I want a script to chaeck which IPs are pinging, not pingning. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to Telnet multiple node , Ping some IP and print output

Hi Team, Need shell script to Telnet multiple node , Ping some IP and print output like pass or fail. Need this script to check reachability of multiple nodes at same time. Help me. I use this but not working... Eg. in this script i need to telnet... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Mankar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for connecting multiple servers and then copying 30 days old files

Shell script for connecting multiple servers and then copying 30 days old files from those server . HI , I have 6 multiple servers pla1,pla2,pla3,pla4,pla5,pla6 1. These six servers have common shared mount point /var/share 2. Running script from /var/share to connect these servers.I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcroyal88
1 Replies
XSetPointerMapping(3)						  XLIB FUNCTIONS					     XSetPointerMapping(3)

NAME
XSetPointerMapping, XGetPointerMapping - manipulate pointer settings SYNTAX
int XSetPointerMapping(Display *display, unsigned char map[], int nmap); int XGetPointerMapping(Display *display, unsigned char map_return[], int nmap); ARGUMENTS
display Specifies the connection to the X server. map Specifies the mapping list. map_return Returns the mapping list. nmap Specifies the number of items in the mapping list. DESCRIPTION
The XSetPointerMapping function sets the mapping of the pointer. If it succeeds, the X server generates a MappingNotify event, and XSet- PointerMapping returns MappingSuccess. Element map[i] defines the logical button number for the physical button i+1. The length of the list must be the same as XGetPointerMapping would return, or a BadValue error results. A zero element disables a button, and elements are not restricted in value by the number of physical buttons. However, no two elements can have the same nonzero value, or a BadValue error results. If any of the buttons to be altered are logically in the down state, XSetPointerMapping returns MappingBusy, and the mapping is not changed. XSetPointerMapping can generate a BadValue error. The XGetPointerMapping function returns the current mapping of the pointer. Pointer buttons are numbered starting from one. XGetPoint- erMapping returns the number of physical buttons actually on the pointer. The nominal mapping for a pointer is map[i]=i+1. The nmap argu- ment specifies the length of the array where the pointer mapping is returned, and only the first nmap elements are returned in map_return. DIAGNOSTICS
BadValue Some numeric value falls outside the range of values accepted by the request. Unless a specific range is specified for an argu- ment, the full range defined by the argument's type is accepted. Any argument defined as a set of alternatives can generate this error. SEE ALSO
XChangeKeyboardControl(3X11), XChangeKeyboardMapping(3X11) Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libX11 1.2.1 XSetPointerMapping(3)