Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk : ORS not to be printed after the last record Post 302993979 by RudiC on Friday 17th of March 2017 05:11:56 AM
Old 03-17-2017
That's because ${service_cmd} has to be expanded by the shell. Which is no problem when entering that line at the command prompt. When contained in a variable like var, expansion would need to occur twice... That what the (dangerous and deprecated) eval shell command is for - be aware that you need to know exactly what you are doing and what the contents of the to-be-interpreted string (here: var's contents) is. Any malicious command will be executed without further notice / warning.

Did you try to pipe above awk's output through another shell like ls ... | awk ... | sh? Here as well you need to know exactly WHAT will be interpreted!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rs and ors in gawk ...????

:D dear members I have a good knowledge of gawk and seem to do quite well with it.. but I have never understood what the use of the rs and ors are for or how they are used.. i am thinking they are for seperating lines and paragraphs but i have absolutely no idea how to make it work, if that is what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Record too long for awk

I am trying to generate a small report with the help of awk. The contents are present in a file whose last line is very long. I can't shorten this line as its generated after a lot of processing. On reading this file awk says record "starting of line ..." too long record number 30 Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: record has too many fields

Hi, I'm trying this command - but get this error. Do you guys have any workaround for this? cat tf|sed 's/{//g'|sed 's/,//g'|awk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if ($i == "OPTIME") {k = i + 2; print $i,$k}}}' awk: record `2005 Jul 28 17:35:29...' has too many fields record number 15 This is how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble getting the next to last record with awk

Hello all, I'm a beginner to shell/ awk script writing, and I'm trying to do something that looks like it shouldn't be (too) hard at all to do, but unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to find the right way to do it with awk. I need to look for the time several processes start & end in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muadib
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk: print all URL addresses between iframe tags without repeating an already printed URL

Here is what I have so far: find . -name "*php*" -or -name "*htm*" | xargs grep -i iframe | awk -F'"' '/<iframe*/{gsub(/.\*iframe>/,"\"");print $2}' Here is an example content of a PHP or HTM(HTML) file: <iframe src="http://ADDRESS_1/?click=5BBB08\" width=1 height=1... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: striker4o
18 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk: record too long

Hi All , I am getting record too long for the below command . nawk -F\" '{a=a" "$2} END{for(i in a) print i,a }' test|sort|awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) t=t"\t"$i;if(NF>max)max=NF} END{for(i=1;i<=max;i++)print t }' File test has 850 records ... Please help.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare current record,with next and previous record in awk without using array?

Hi! all can any one tell me how to compare current record of column with next and previous record in awk without using array my case is like this input.txt 0 32 1 26 2 27 3 34 4 26 5 25 6 24 9 23 0 32 1 28 2 15 3 26 4 24 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dona Clara
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk RS/ORS error

Hello, I am trying to filter fastq file (in short, every 4 lines to be a record) based on the GC counts (GC-contents) in sequence (i.e. field 2), which is the count % of the G/C chars in the string. The example script is to pick up records with GC contents > 0.6 in the sequence (second field). ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get row data printed in column using awk?

Hi team, I have below sample file. $ cat sample dn: MSISDN=400512345677,dc=msisdn,ou=NPSD,serv=CSPS,ou=servCommonData,dc=stc structuralObjectClass: NphData objectClass: NphData objectClass: MSISDN entryDS: 0 nodeId: 35 createTimestamp: 20170216121047Z modifyTimestamp: 20170216121047Z... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can someone please explain why we need to set ORS in below awk code?

Question: Write a command to print the fields in a text file in reverse order? awk 'BEGIN {ORS=""} { for(i=NF;i>0;i--) print $i," "; print "\n"}' filename I was thinking it should be (what is the need to set ORS="" ? )- awk 'BEGIN { for(i=NF;i>0;i--) print $i," "; print "\n"}' filename (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)