Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 install via live usb Post 302993933 by hicksd8 on Thursday 16th of March 2017 09:51:09 AM
Old 03-16-2017
I had a look into this and actually tried it out. The steps I ended up with are:

Boot from the Solaris USB Live media and let it boot up to the full GUI (X-Windows)
Open a terminal and 'su' to root. Password is 'solaris'.
Put the second USB memory stick into a USB port.
Run 'format' and select this second stick.
Note: To get 'format' to list the device I needed to run in expert mode:
Code:

# format -e

Select 'fdisk' and create a FAT32 partition on the stick. Select 100% occupancy, and exit ('update disk config and exit').

In this example the device was c2t0d0p0 so write out a filesystem on the stick:
Code:

# mkfs -F pcfs -o fat=32 /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p0:c

Power down
Code:
# init 0

Remove the second stick and stuff it into a Windows system (in my case I was using Windows 7 SP1) and the stick should auto-mount normally. Copy whatever required files to it.

Place stick back into the Solaris box and boot from the USB Live media stick which you left there. Wait for the full GUI to appear. 'su' to root again. The second stick should automatically mount under '/media/NONAME/.....'

Give that a go. It worked for me. Hope that helps.

Last edited by hicksd8; 03-16-2017 at 03:54 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Live Knoppix on usb sdb2 kernel not found

Hi all I have a usb external drive with two partitions sdb1 ntfs and sdb2 ext3 with label Linux I copied a knoppix live distro in the second partition, then I installed grub on the drive. Now in the directory /media/sdb2/boot/grub i have the file device.map with the following content: (hd0) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guast
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

From Knoppix Live-USB to Old-school CLI Debian Linux.

Alright. Here we go... The other day, I was referred to this neat little command-line Unix simulator called Cygwin. To put it lightly, I fell in love. I found Knoppix, and from what I can tell, it's a viable OS once I strip off the KDE desktop environment to make it 'old-school'. I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev_squid
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

How to install fedora 13 from a usb media....it should not like 'live'?

im using Dell Inspiron with windows 7 as operating system.....in my hard drive there is some 34 gb unpartitioned space and now i want to install fedora 13 into it, after installation it should be dual boot. problem here is... i have the fedora 13 image file ie fedora13-i386-DVD.iso file. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik437
13 Replies

4. Linux

Kexec with Live USB/CD

Hello Recently I found this (for me) really usefull tool kexec which can load a new Kernel while running one. I tested it some times with the same kernel I was running, "rebooting" the system without powering it off at any time :D But I need kexec basically just for live usbs. I want to start... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: al0x
17 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kcore and a live persistent linux usb distro

I have 2 computers, from now on i shall call these computers A and B. Made a live linux distro (bodhi) on A which has 1GB internal memory , because windows is unstable on B, which has 512MB internal memory. I mean with memory the internal memory of the computer, not the memory of the usb... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anno
0 Replies

6. BSD

Freebsd live usb

Hello. I'm going to make freebsd live usb based on FreeBSD-8.3-RELEASE-i386-livefs.iso. The iso is 257 Megabytes, but after i copy its content to usb drive its volume increases to 971 Megabytes. I tried different methods of copying (tar,cp,cpio) but with the same result. Could anyone help? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Usbcopy fails with the error message sol-11_1-live-x86.usb is not a multiple of 512

I am trying to create a live image of solaris 11.1. I have used #pkg image-update to upgrade from 11 to 11.1 already. (since only 11.1 can make images of 11.1 due to using new grub) then from within 11.1 I used pkg install install distribution-constructor to get latest usbcopy that should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: taltamir
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris Live Media x86 Install

Unix Buddies Burned download to DVD-R. Booted it. It dropped me at a command line. Is it working properly? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solaris User
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Can't install 11.3 from USB on 5220

Hi, I have T5220 sparc server and I want to install Solaris 11.3 on that. From notes, I know that 11.4 will not be supported. It is old server, which had hardware RAID (with SAS card). I removed connection from that card and directly inserted both cables on motherboard because I want to get rid... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies
joy(3alleg4)							  Allegro manual						      joy(3alleg4)

NAME
joy - Global array of joystick state information. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> extern JOYSTICK_INFO joy[n]; DESCRIPTION
Global array of joystick state information, which is updated by the poll_joystick() function. Only the first num_joysticks elements will contain meaningful information. The JOYSTICK_INFO structure is defined as: typedef struct JOYSTICK_INFO { int flags; - status flags for this joystick int num_sticks; - how many stick inputs? int num_buttons; - how many buttons? JOYSTICK_STICK_INFO stick[n]; - stick state information JOYSTICK_BUTTON_INFO button[n]; - button state information } JOYSTICK_INFO; The button status is stored in the structure: typedef struct JOYSTICK_BUTTON_INFO { int b; - boolean on/off flag char *name; - description of this button } JOYSTICK_BUTTON_INFO; You may wish to display the button names as part of an input configuration screen to let the user choose what game function will be per- formed by each button, but in simpler situations you can safely assume that the first two elements in the button array will always be the main trigger controls. Each joystick will provide one or more stick inputs, of varying types. These can be digital controls which snap to specific positions (eg. a gamepad controller, the coolie hat on a Flightstick Pro or Wingman Extreme, or a normal joystick which hasn't yet been calibrated), or they can be full analogue inputs with a smooth range of motion. Sticks may also have different numbers of axes, for example a normal direc- tional control has two, but the Flightstick Pro throttle is only a single axis, and it is possible that the system could be extended in the future to support full 3d controllers. A stick input is described by the structure: typedef struct JOYSTICK_STICK_INFO { int flags; - status flags for this input int num_axis; - how many axes do we have? (note the misspelling) JOYSTICK_AXIS_INFO axis[n]; - axis state information char *name; - description of this input } JOYSTICK_STICK_INFO; A single joystick may provide several different stick inputs, but you can safely assume that the first element in the stick array will always be the main directional controller. Information about each of the stick axis is stored in the substructure: typedef struct JOYSTICK_AXIS_INFO { int pos; - analogue axis position int d1, d2; - digital axis position char *name; - description of this axis } JOYSTICK_AXIS_INFO; This provides both analogue input in the pos field (ranging from -128 to 128 or from 0 to 255, depending on the type of the control), and digital values in the d1 and d2 fields. For example, when describing the X-axis position, the pos field will hold the horizontal position of the joystick, d1 will be set if it is moved left, and d2 will be set if it is moved right. Allegro will fill in all these values regard- less of whether it is using a digital or analogue joystick, emulating the pos field for digital inputs by snapping it to the min, middle, and maximum positions, and emulating the d1 and d2 values for an analogue stick by comparing the current position with the centre point. The joystick flags field may contain any combination of the bit flags: JOYFLAG_DIGITAL This control is currently providing digital input. JOYFLAG_ANALOGUE This control is currently providing analogue input. JOYFLAG_CALIB_DIGITAL This control will be capable of providing digital input once it has been calibrated, but is not doing this at the moment. JOYFLAG_CALIB_ANALOGUE This control will be capable of providing analogue input once it has been calibrated, but is not doing this at the moment. JOYFLAG_CALIBRATE Indicates that this control needs to be calibrated. Many devices require multiple calibration steps, so you should call the calibrate_joystick() function from a loop until this flag is cleared. JOYFLAG_SIGNED Indicates that the analogue axis position is in signed format, ranging from -128 to 128. This is the case for all 2d direc- tional controls. JOYFLAG_UNSIGNED Indicates that the analogue axis position is in unsigned format, ranging from 0 to 255. This is the case for all 1d throt- tle controls. Note for people who spell funny: in case you don't like having to type "analogue", there are some #define aliases in allegro/joystick.h that will allow you to write "analog" instead. SEE ALSO
install_joystick(3alleg4), poll_joystick(3alleg4), num_joysticks(3alleg4), calibrate_joystick(3alleg4), calibrate_joystick_name(3alleg4), exjoy(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 joy(3alleg4)