Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to ping multiple servers Post 302993930 by fretagi on Thursday 16th of March 2017 08:46:53 AM
Old 03-16-2017
Shell script to ping multiple servers

Hi

I did the following script to ping multiple servers, but I keep on receiveing duplicate emails for one server that is down:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

date
cat /var/tmp/servers.list |  while read output
do
    ping -c 1 "$output" > /dev/null
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
    echo "node $output is up"
    else
    echo "node $output is down" | mailx -s "$output not pinging" xyz@klm.com
    fi
done

So the first email I received had body as "node is down" and subject "not pinging"
and second email I received had body as "node 192.168.5.50 is down" and subject "192.168.5.50 not pinging".
So I have 13 ips on the servers.list, so the only server down is 192.168.6.50

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to ping servers

Hi , I would like to automate a script to ping all the unix servers perodically thru cronjob. Is there any script out there? If so Please give me. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent wrong user from using shell script for multiple remote servers

Hi, I am running a shell script from a central server to multiple remote servers using the following code: application_check() { # Linux/UNIX box with ssh key based login SERVERS=`cat /tmp/server-details` # SSH User name USR="user" # create new file > /tmp/abc.log # connect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to change the password on multiple servers in linux

Can any one please let me know the shell script to change the password for a particular user on multiple linux servers. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_madras
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping the hostname of many servers using a script

Hi We have some 300 servers in the Data center and some of them are running with AIX and some of them are running with Solaris. I need a script which can be run in one of the server and that script should ping the hostname of all the 300 servers. Also the script should notify if any server is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

run vi/vim encrypted shell script without decryption on multiple servers

Hello Everyone, How do we run vi/vim encrypted shell script without decryption on multiple servers. It is a simple bash script and vim -nx <filename> has been used to encrypt with desired password. Now I have few errors, the syntax is absolutely fine as I have run that script multiple times on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to connect to multiple ssh servers

Hello, I have access to several linux servers (mostly centos based) located in a DC in another country. from day to day I need to login to each of them to do some work (they dont have gui/window manager installed, I work only from console), or even to just do a check like df -h for disc usage.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaRiOsGR
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Ping Servers

Hey, It's me again! Still trying to learn to become a better scripter on the job :) New challenge for assistance, if anyone cares to help, and its two parted! First part, I wanted to create a script at work that would ping a server that was supplied in an argument, then a count (amount of times)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping script to list of servers

Hi Friends, I have experience in redhat/ Ubuntu OS, but I am very new to solaries os. my servers OS is Oracle Solaris 10 8/11 s10x_u10wos_17b X86. I have a file contains 200 servers IPs one by one. now I want a script to chaeck which IPs are pinging, not pingning. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to Telnet multiple node , Ping some IP and print output

Hi Team, Need shell script to Telnet multiple node , Ping some IP and print output like pass or fail. Need this script to check reachability of multiple nodes at same time. Help me. I use this but not working... Eg. in this script i need to telnet... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Mankar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for connecting multiple servers and then copying 30 days old files

Shell script for connecting multiple servers and then copying 30 days old files from those server . HI , I have 6 multiple servers pla1,pla2,pla3,pla4,pla5,pla6 1. These six servers have common shared mount point /var/share 2. Running script from /var/share to connect these servers.I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcroyal88
1 Replies
localemanager(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  localemanager(8)

NAME
localemanager -- Configure OpenDirectory Server Locales SYNOPSIS
localemanager operation [-l localename] [-subnet 1.2.3.4/5] [-server servername] [-i IP address] DESCRIPTION
localemanager creates, destroys, and edits OpenDirectory Server Locale information. Locales are collections of OpenDirectory servers to assist clients in locating the nearest OpenDirectory Server. To use OpenDirectory Server Locales, simply create a locale on an OD server with the createLocale operation. Then add servers and subnets to the locale. All localemanager operations are performed on the local OpenDirectory node. The first time a locale is created, a DefaultLocale will automatically be created as well. The DefaultLocale will be used for any clients that don't match a subnet in any other locale. Before a locale can be configured, the server must already be an OpenDirectory server. Locales can be defined on each of the OD servers or on a single OD server in the group of OD master/replicas. For the latter, the locale information will get replicated to all of the other servers but locales will need to be "enabled" on the other servers by running the command localemanager enableLocales. Commands: help Displays the commands and options. createLocale Creates a new locale on the local OD server. This command requires the -l option. deleteLocale Deletes a locale from the local OD server. This command requires the -l option. showLocale Displays the current locale(s). The -l option can be used to display a specific locale. If -l is not specified, all locales are displayed. enableLocales Enables the use of locales on an OD server. This command is automatically run the first time any localemanager command is run on an OD server. Therefore this command only needs to be run if no other localemanager commands have been (or will be) run on this server. addSubnet Adds a new subnet to the specified locale. This command requires the -l -subnet options. removeSubnet Removes a subnet from the specified locale. This command requires -l -subnet options. addServer Adds a server to the specified locale. This command requires the -l -server options. If the -i option is specified, that IP address will be used by locale clients. This may be useful for multi-homed servers to restrict locale clients to a specific network interface. If the -i option is not specified the IP address(es) will be looked up. removeServer Removes a server from the specified locale. This command requires -l -server options. If the -i option is specified, only that IP address will be removed from the locale. If the -i option is no specified, all of the server's IP addresses will be removed from the locale. Options: -l locale Locale name. -subnet 192.168.0.0/16 Subnet specified in CIDR notation. -server server.example.com Server fully-qualified domain name. -i 192.168.1.1 Use this IP address for the server. Typically used to limit locale clients to a specific interface on a multi-homed server. FILES
/var/log/localemanager.log localemanager log file. SEE ALSO
slapconfig(8) HISTORY
First introduced in Mac OS X 10.7 Darwin June 2, 2019 Darwin