Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename files from multiple directories along with directory indicator Post 302993918 by gnnsprapa on Thursday 16th of March 2017 06:28:08 AM
Old 03-16-2017
here is another detailed eg:

test--is my parent directory and it has many files such as
Code:
a1.txt
a2.txt
a3.txt

test1--subdirectory(under test)
Code:
b1.txt
b2.txt

test2--subdirectory(under test1 or test)
Code:
c1.txt
c3.txt

Now. my final file name should be like this:
Code:
<filename>_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt

i can read files from one directory, rename the files and put in desired folder but i cannot take files from multiple directories or sub directories in one go in informatica, either have to make different mappings for each directory(not a reliable option in long run).
So i want to take all files and put in one folder say temp:

Temp:
Code:
a1.txt
a2.txt
a3.txt
b1.txt
b2.txt
c1.txt
c3.txt

Now, i can process files in informatica all together and rename them according to the logic i mentioned above, after renaming files will be like:

Code:
a1_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt
a2_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt
a3_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt
b1_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt
b2_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt
c1_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt
c3_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt

after this, i want to put these files back to there original directory from temp directory, like:
test--is my parent directory and it has many files such as
Code:
a1_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt
a2_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt
a3_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt

test1--subdirectory(under test)
Code:
b1_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt
b2_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt

test2--subdirectory(under test1 or test)
Code:
c1_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt
c3_<tablename>_<clientname>.txt

**there will be 1000 files and 100s of directories, so i don't want to manually keep record of each file from which directory it belongs to, so here i would require 2 unix scripts, one script will put all files in temp directory and 2nd scipt should separate those files back to original directory.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 03-16-2017 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files/directories based on their name

i have hundreds of directories that have to be renamed. the directory structure is fairly uniform which makes the scripting a little simpler. suppose i have many directories like this */*/*/*abc* (in other words i have similar directory names 3 dirs deep that all contain the pattern abc in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: quantumechanix
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files recursivly in specified directories

Hi, This is what I would like to do. 1. Find all directories named "ByHost" in a specified directory 2. Rename all .plist files inside "ByHost" directories This is the way I have been able to do it so far. #!/bin/sh # # Rename ByHost files # # Thomas Berglund, 13.07.08 # Get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thomas Berglund
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files after their directory name in multiple sub directories

So I am not sure if this should go in the shell forum or in the beginners. It is my first time posting on these forums. I have a directory, main_dir lets say, with multiple sub directories (one_dir through onehundred_dir for example) and in each sub directory there is a test.txt. How would one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotsbite
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to rename multiple directories

Hello I have a directory structure with year in format 4 digits, e.g 2009, below which is month format 1 or 2 digits, e.g 1 or 12, blow which is day format 1 or 2 digits, e.g 1 or 31. I want to change the names of lots of directories to the be Year - 4 digits , e.g 2009 - No change here... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files and directories with special characters

Hello guys, I was looking for a shell script that removes all the special characters from the files and the subdirectories recursively. I could not locate it any more. Dose any body have a similar script that dose that? Thanks for the help. AV (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files from multiple directories into one directory without overwriting them

I have several directories and all those directories have .dat files in them. I want to copy all those .dat files to one directory say "collected_directory" The problem is I don't want to overwrite files. So, if two file names match, I don't want the old file to be overwritten with a new one. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename the files in all the directories and sub-directories

Hi all, I have more than 12000 files in 46 different directories and each directory has 2 sub-directories named “dat” or “gridded”. Dat sub-directories have files with extension “jpg.dat” and gridded sub-directories have files with extension “.jpg”. I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from one folder to another along with directory indicator

Hi All, I have directory and it has multiple sub directories and all these sub directories contains many files. i want to move all these files to one different directory. But after moving files i should be able to recognize which file belongs to which directory. Is there any way to achieve... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to copy particular files from a multiple directories and paste in a new directory?

Dear all I have a multiple directories, say for example org1, org2, org3 ..... org100 and each directory having a file namely dnaG.fasta. I need to copy all the dnaG.fasta file from each directory and paste in another directory fastconcatg. Therefore, my script has to copy dnaG.fasta file from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
5 Replies