Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Xml to csv
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Xml to csv Post 302993730 by drysdalk on Monday 13th of March 2017 05:24:58 PM
Old 03-13-2017
Hi,

I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate here and suggest something entirely different. If this is a one-time-only conversion you have to do, or if it's something you won't have to do on a regular basis, I'd honestly import the XML into a spreadsheet like MS Excel or OpenOffice/LibreOffice Calc, and then look at tidying it up and exporting it out as a CSV from there.

Of course if this is going to be an ongoing thing you anticipate needing to do many times per day forever then some kind of script would be desirable, but if it's not going to be something you have to spend lots of time doing then you may actually save more time using a spreadsheet than trying to write a script for this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to convert XML to CSV

Apologies if this has already been covered in this site somewhere, I did try looking but without any success. I am new to the whole XML thing, very late starter, and have a requirement to convert an XML fiule to a CSV fomat. I am crrently working on a Solaris OS. Does anyone have any suggestions,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rossingi_33
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV to XML

Iam pretty new to UNIX and would like to convert a CSV to an XML file using AWK scripts. Can anybody suggest a solution? My CSV file looks something like this : Serial No Growth% Annual % Commission % Unemployed % 1 35% 29% 59% 42% 2 61% ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjanakir
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV processing to XML

Hi, i am really fresh with shell scripting and programming, i have an issue i am not able to solve to populate data on my server for Cisco IP phones. I have CSV file within the following format: ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel2008
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML to csv transformation

Hi, I want to write a perl script. Which should accept the xml file, one xsl file and the loaction. The perl script should process the xml file using the xsl file and puts the out put in specified location. For example: My.perl is perls cript. my.xml is like this <?xml version="1.0"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML to CSV specific

Hi , Please any one to help on ,extract this xml code into csv columns list. <SOURCEFIELD BUSINESSNAME ="" DATATYPE ="date" DESCRIPTION ="" FIELDNUMBER ="1" FIELDPROPERTY ="0" FIELDTYPE ="ELEMITEM" HIDDEN ="NO" KEYTYPE ="NOT A KEY" LENGTH ="19" LEVEL ="0" NAME ="BUSINESS_DATE"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert xml to csv

I need to convert below xml code to csv. I searched other posts as well but this post (_https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/174417-extract-parse-xml-data-statistic-value-csv.html) gives "sed command garbled" error. As of now I have written a long script to do it, but can it be done with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshydv
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert xml to csv ?

I am in need of converting billions of XML into csv file to load data to DB, i have found the below code in perl but not sure why it's not working properly. CODE: #!/usr/bin/perl # Script to illustrate how to parse a simple XML file # and pick out all the values for a specific element, in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rspwilliam
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML to CSV

I want to pharse below Xml Using Shell Scripting . Thanks in Advance <md> <neid> <neun>1523</neun> <nedn>XXX1212</nedn> <nesw>fffff12515</nesw> </neid> <mi> <mts>20141128001500</mts> <gp>550</gp> <mt>pmct1</mt> <mt>pmNo2</mt> <mt>pmNo3S</mt> <mv> <moid>Ma=1,Rn=1,Ul=311C</moid>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Xml to csv (again)

Hello, I have copied .xml code for a single item below. I am trying to extract three items (field indices*b244 (second occurrence), b203, and j151), so the desired output would be: 9780323013543 Manual of Natural Veterinary Medicine: Science and Tradition, 1e 68.95 A parallel solution,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting XML to CSV

Hello, For i while i have been using XMLStarlet to convert several XML files to CSV files. So far this always went fine. Today however i got a new XML format however but i cannot find out how to get the data i need. Below is part of the code where it shows the different format. What... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDohmen
10 Replies
SSCONVERT(1)							       GNOME							      SSCONVERT(1)

NAME
ssconvert - a command line spreadsheet format converter SYNOPSIS
ssconvert [OPTIONS] infile outfile ssconvert [OPTIONS] --merge-to outfile infile1 infile2 ... DESCRIPTION
ssconvert is a command line utility to convert spreadsheet files between various spreadsheet file formats. It is a companion utility to Gnumeric, the powerful spreadsheet program created by the GNOME project. ssconvert accepts either file names or URIs as infile outfile. The special URIs fd://0 and fd://1 can be used for standard input and stan- dard output respectively. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with single letter options starting with a single dash (`-') and longer options starting with two dashes (`--'). Main options --recalc Recalculate all formulas before writing. --list-exporters List the available exporters (file formats). -T, --export-type=ID Specify which exporter to use; see below for a list. This is only necessary when the right format does not follow from the output file name. -O, --export-options=optionsstring Specify parameters for the chosen exporter. optionsstring is a list of parameter=value pairs, separated by spaces. The parameter names and values allowed are specific to the exporter and are documented below. Multiple parameters can be specified --list-importers List the available importers (file formats). -T, --import-type=ID Specify which importer to use; see below for a list. This is only necessary when the right format does not follow from the input file name. -E, --import-encoding=STRING Specify an encoding for imported content. -M, --merge-to=FILENAME Merge a collection of workbooks into one. Sheet size will expand to the largest in all the workbooks. Names in the scope of indi- vidual workbooks will end up in the scope of the merged workbook. The merge will be aborted if there are name conflicts. Help options -v, --version Display ssconvert's version. -h, --help, --usage Display a brief usage message. Path options -L, --lib-dir=STRING Set the root library directory. -D, --data-dir=STRING Adjust the root data directory. LIST OF IMPORTANT IDS
Gnumeric_XmlIO:sax Gnumeric's XML file format Gnumeric_Excel:excel_dsf Microsoft Excel (tm) 97/2000/XP & 5.0/95 format Gnumeric_Excel:xlsx Microsoft Excel (tm) 2007 ("Office Open XML", OOXML <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLSX> ) format Gnumeric_pdf:pdf_assistant Portable Document Format Gnumeric_stf:stf_assistant Text export (configurable) (*.txt) Gnumeric_stf:stf_csv Comma Separated Values LIST OF LESS IMPORTANT IDS
Gnumeric_sylk:sylk SYmbolic LinK (SYLK) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYmbolic_LinK_(SYLK)> or Multiplan format Gnumeric_Excel:excel_biff8 Microsoft Excel (tm) 97/2000/XP format Gnumeric_Excel:excel_biff7 Microsoft Excel (tm) 5.0/95 format Gnumeric_dif:dif Data Interchange Format <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Interchange_Format> (*.dif) Gnumeric_html:roff TROFF <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troff> (*.me) format. Gnumeric_html:latex_table LaTeX 2e (*.tex) table fragment Gnumeric_html:latex LaTeX 2e (*.tex) Gnumeric_html:xhtml_range XHTML range - for export to clipboard Gnumeric_html:xhtml XHTML (*.html) Gnumeric_html:html40frag HTML (*.html) fragment Gnumeric_html:html40 HTML 4.0 (*.html) Gnumeric_html:html32 HTML 3.2 (*.html) Gnumeric_OpenCalc:openoffice OpenDocument <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument> or OpenOffice Calc <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Calc> (*.ods) format Gnumeric_paradox:paradox Paradox database <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_(database)> (*.db) format OPTIONS FOR THE PORTABLE DOCUMENT FORMAT (*.pdf) EXPORTER sheet Name of the workbook sheet to operate on. paper Paper size. Valid values include "A4" for ISO A4 and "na_letter_8.5x11in" for US Letter. OPTIONS FOR THE CONFIGURABLE TEXT (*.txt) EXPORTER sheet Name of the workbook sheet to operate on. eol End Of Line convention; how lines are terminated. "unix" for linefeed, "mac" for carriage return; "windows" for carriage return plus linefeed. charset The character encoding of the output. Defaults to UTF-8. locale quote The character or string used for quoting fields. Defaults to """ (quotation mark / double quote). separator The string used to separate fields. Defaults to space. format Acceptable values: "automatic", "raw", or "preserve". transliterate-mode How to handle characters that cannot be represented in the chosen output character set. Acceptable values: "transliterate", or "escape". quoting-mode When does data need to be quoted? "never", "auto" (puts quotes where needed), or "always". Defaults to "never". quoting-on-whitespace Controls whether initial or terminal whitespace forces quoting. Defaults to TRUE. EXAMPLES
To convert the gnumeric file foo.gnumeric to a Microsoft Excel(TM) format file foo.xls: ssconvert foo.gnumeric foo.xls The export format can be specified explicitly, to override the default (which is based on the file extension): ssconvert --export-type=Gnumeric_stf:stf_csv foo.xls foo.txt To convert an Excel format file statfuns.xls to a text file, specifying the semicolon as the separator character: ssconvert -O 'separator=; format=raw' samples/excel/statfuns.xls statfuns.txt LICENSE
ssconvert is licensed under the terms of the General Public License (GPL), version 2. For information on this license look at the source code that came with the software or see the GNU project page <http://www.gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
The copyright on the gnumeric software and source code is held by the individual authors as is documented in the source code. AUTHOR
ssconvert's primary author is Jody Goldberg <jody@gnome.org>; ssconvert builds on the gnumeric codebase. The initial version of this manpage was written by J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) <jdassen@debian.org>. SEE ALSO
gnumeric(1), ssgrep(1), ssindex(1) The Gnumeric Homepage <http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnumeric/>. The GNOME project page <http://www.gnome.org/>. gnumeric 2009-02-08 SSCONVERT(1)