Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is wrong with 'find . -maxdepth 1 -ctime -7 -type f'? Post 302993706 by jim mcnamara on Monday 13th of March 2017 02:31:35 PM
Old 03-13-2017
find manpage: FWIW, and in case this is the result of not knowing about rounding, you may need to read this section. We get this question often.

(yes, I know it is about atime)
Code:
    -atime n
              File  was  last  accessed n*24 hours ago.  When find figures out
              how many 24-hour periods ago the file  was  last  accessed,  any
              fractional part is ignored, so to match -atime +1, a file has to
              have been accessed at least two days ago.

Next read the ctime piece, which refers back to atime

Code:
       -ctime n
              File's status was last changed n*24 hours ago.  See the comments
              for -atime to understand how rounding affects the interpretation
              of file status change times.

This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ctime & find

I am trying to figure out the syntax to use find to remove files older than 30 minutes. I know that this will work for files 1 day old, but cannot seem to trim the time down to 30 minutes. find /path/to/file -ctime +1 -exec rm -f {} \; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find ot ctime , mtime ,atime

Can any one tell me how to find out ctime , mtime ,atime for a file/directory on unix. Cheers, Nilesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilesrex
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris find without maxdepth

Hi, I am using Solaris 5.8 I searched online, the find command has an option called maxdepth which can be used to limit the number of directories find will look into. find . -maxdepth 2 -type f When I run the above command in solaris, I get an error find: bad option -maxdepth find:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leion
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"-maxdepth 1" argument for Solaris find. Other way to restrict find in only one directory?

Hi I wish to find only files in dir /srv/container/content/imz06/. It means exclude subfolder /srv/container/content/imz06/archive/ > uname -a SunOS testbox6 5.10 Generic_139555-08 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-T6320Its Solaris default "find" > find /srv/container/content/imz06/* -name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -ctime

I know that find -ctime +1 will find ALL files that have been modified that are greater than 1 day old and -ctime 1 will find files that are ONLY 1 day old -ctime -1 mean files that are less than a day old? Can find actually use this granularity? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -ctime

startdate="2012_07_04-16:14:4" path1="/home/drdos/sample" days=0 find $path1 -name "*$startdate*" > teste.txt while do find $path1 -name "*.zip" ctime $days > teste.txt days=`expr $days + 1` done echo " Files that are near the string u search are on teste.txt"Hi to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drd0spt
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maxdepth option of find command not working

Can you please figure out what is the issue here $ find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -size 0 -print find: bad option -maxdepth please find the OS details $ uname -a HP-UX g5u1216 B.11.31 U ia64 2614088426 unlimited-user license Use code tags, thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
6 Replies

8. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

find "/path" -type f -ctime +30

When I use the command find "/abc/xyz" -type f -ctime +30 getting the error as find:"/abc/xyz /lost+found: Permission Denied" I tired find "/abc/xyz" -type d \( ! lost+found \) -type f -ctime +30 The error is find: paths must precede expression Usage: find Tried find "/abc/xyz"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anithab
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -ctime -1 cannot find files without extention

The problem is this one. I tar and gzip files on remote server Code: find . -ctime -1 | tar -cvf transfer_dmz_start_daily.tar *${Today}*.*; Command Code: find . -ctime -1 Doesn't find files without extension Code: .csv .txt I have to collect all files for current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -ctime -1 cannot find files without extention

The problem is this one. I tar and gzip files on remote server find . -ctime -1 | tar -cvf transfer_dmz_start_daily.tar *${Today}*.*; Command find . -ctime -1 Doesn't find files without extension .csv .txt I have to collect all files for current day, when the program... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies
FILEATIME(3)								 1							      FILEATIME(3)

fileatime - Gets last access time of file

SYNOPSIS
int fileatime (string $filename) DESCRIPTION
Gets the last access time of the given file. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. RETURN VALUES
Returns the time the file was last accessed, or FALSE on failure. The time is returned as a Unix timestamp. EXAMPLES
Example #1 fileatime(3) example <?php // outputs e.g. somefile.txt was last accessed: December 29 2002 22:16:23. $filename = 'somefile.txt'; if (file_exists($filename)) { echo "$filename was last accessed: " . date("F d Y H:i:s.", fileatime($filename)); } ?> ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Upon failure, an E_WARNING is emitted. NOTES
Note The atime of a file is supposed to change whenever the data blocks of a file are being read. This can be costly performance-wise when an application regularly accesses a very large number of files or directories. Some Unix filesystems can be mounted with atime updates disabled to increase the performance of such applications; USENET news spools are a common example. On such filesystems this function will be useless. Note Note that time resolution may differ from one file system to another. Note The results of this function are cached. See clearstatcache(3) for more details. Tip As of PHP 5.0.0, this function can also be used with some URL wrappers. Refer to "Supported Protocols and Wrappers" to determine which wrappers support stat(3) family of functionality. SEE ALSO
filemtime(3), fileinode(3), date(3). PHP Documentation Group FILEATIME(3)