Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Polling file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Polling file Post 302993579 by RudiC on Saturday 11th of March 2017 12:02:53 PM
Old 03-11-2017
PLEASE DON'T edit posts after people have replied to it, pulling the rug from under their feet (and here: yours as well) and rendering their efforts useless!

With your modifications of post#1, jim mcnamara's proposal becomes a pointless no-op.
And, BTW, grepping for a pattern like '****' as you do in post#3 won't work as expected because * is a regex multiplier (zero or more times) character. To remove starred and blank lines from your input, try
Code:
grep -v '\*\|^ \+$' file

The error in post#3 is due to you wanting sed to "edit-in-place" stdin from a pipe.

Re your new request: do you just want a file count of three, or should exactly those three listed files exist? If the former: are there always exactly two header lines to be skipped?

Last edited by RudiC; 03-11-2017 at 01:12 PM..
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Help - Polling Script

How do I write a shell script to perform polling just like what happens with Microsoft mail. i.e display an alert box. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brianmu
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to implement polling for a function using timer in C?

Hi, Can you please help me in implementing a timer based polling for function in C? ie. the function should be called in say 30secs(when 30secs has lapsed). Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Polling an FTP site for a file

Hi, I'm after a bit of advice for the best way to collect files from an ftp server via a unix process. The main issue here is the frequency, the job needs to check for files every minute or so between 8am and 8pm and pull them down to the box if there is anything there. Originally the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peejay
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to avoid polling???

Hi all, I have a directory where some process is keeping incremental/new log files. I need to code a program which will periodically poll this directory and if it founds a new file arrived then copy that new file to some other specific directory. We are OK with this polling approach. I just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Polling continously for presence of a file

Hi, My os is sun solaris 5.10 and Korn shell scripting. I have a file name like CCNA_EARLY_SWP.w062309 where 062309 is date in mmddyy .This is the value date of the file.(will I need to check continously from 5.00 - 7.00 am daily for this file . If the file has not come at 5 am or 7am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj39
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Polling agent

I plan to run a script which will run in background and at predefined times send mails to user . I dont have acees to autosys/ Cron / at jobs My loop works like this while (true) do getx_time=`date +%H%M` if ; then script1.sh mail_sent_flag=1 elif ; then script2.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
1 Replies

7. Solaris

NTP polling interval

Is it possible to change the ntp poll manually. I notice that ntp poll is changing autimatically. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ningy
1 Replies

8. Programming

Db polling...

Hi! Im trying to make a program that polls a mysqlDB every 5 minutes. the poll checks a scheduletable in the dB and exicutes a function if there was a "go" in the scheduletable, and if it retrives a "no go" from the table it should just wait for another 5 minutes before re polling the DB, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlblau
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Polling for existence of file on remote host

I am polling a file on remote host. I have this code that works, but can't explain why it works. while user@remote.no-exist.com 'ls /user/app1/.done'` ] do echo Sleeping for 5 secs sleep 5; done This code works in the way that when the .done file exists on the remote host, the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: starlatch
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Polling target on Serviceguard

Hi Guys, we are planning to enable polling target on our SG in reference to this link MC/ServiceGuard: Subnet Goes Down when one of the Cluster Node is Down - HP Customer Care (United States - English) since our server is already in production can we apply the changes with ex. "cmapplyconf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: batas
1 Replies
poolstat(1M)															      poolstat(1M)

NAME
poolstat - report active pool statistics SYNOPSIS
poolstat [-p pool-list] [-r rset-list] [interval [count]] poolstat [-p pool-list] [-o format -r rset-list] [interval [count]] The poolstat utility iteratively examines all active pools on the system. It reports statistics based on the selected output mode. poolstat provides options to examine only specified pools and report resource set-specific statistics. Without options, poolstat examines all pools, reports basic statistics for their resource sets, and exits. DISPLAY FORMATS In default output format, poolstat outputs a header line and a line for each pool. The line begins with the pool ID and its name, followed by a column of statistical data for the processor set attached to the pool. The columns are defined as follows: id Pool ID. pool Pool name. rid Resource set id. rset Resource set name. type Resource set type. min Minimum resource set size. max Maximum resource set size. size Current resource set size. used The measure of how much of the resource set is currently is use. This is calculated as the percentage utilization of the resource set multiplied by its size. If resource set has been reconfigured during last sampling interval, this value might be not reported (-). load The absolute representation of the load that is put on the resource set. For the definition of this property see libpool(3LIB). The following options are supported: -o format Report statistics according to the format specification given in format. See DISPLAY FORMATS. The -o option accepts lists as arguments. Items in a list can be either separated by commas or enclosed in quotes and sepa- rated by commas or spaces. You can specify multiple -o options. The format specification is interpreted as the whitespace separated concatenation of all the format option arguments. The -o option must be used in conjunction with the -r option. -p pool-list Report only pools whose names are in the given list. If the -r option is also used, this option selects only resource sets which belong to pools in the given list. Statistics for pools or resource sets are reported in the same order in which pool names are listed on the pool-list. Pool can be specified by name or by ID. The -p option accepts lists as arguments. Items in a pool-list can only be separated by spaces. -r rset-list Report resource set statistics. If the rset-list argument is "all", then all possible resource set types are selected. The -r option accepts lists as arguments. Items in a list can be either separated by commas or enclosed in quotes and sepa- rated by commas or spaces. The following resource set types are supported: all All resource set types pset Processor set The following operands are supported: count The number of times that the statistics are repeated. By default, poolstat reports statistics only once. If neither interval nor count are specified, statistics are reported once. If interval is specified and count is not, statistics are reported indefinitely. interval The sampling interval in seconds. If neither interval nor count are specified, statistics are reported once. If interval is specified and count is not, statistics are reported indefinitely. Example 1: Using poolstat The following example shows the default output from the poolstat utility: % poolstat pset id pool size used load 0 pool_default 4 3.6 6.2 1 pool_admin 4 3.3 8.4 Example 2: Reporting Resource Set Statistics The following example reports resource set statistics. % poolstat -r pset id pool type rid rset min max size used load 0 pool_default pset -1 pset_default 1 65K 2 1.2 8.3 1 pool_admin pset 1 pset_admin 1 1 1 0.4 5.2 2 pool_other pset -1 pset_default 1 65K 2 1.2 8.3 Resource sets attached to multiple pools, as pset_default in the example above, are listed multiple times, once for each pool. Example 3: Restricting the Output to the List of Pools The following example restricts the output to the list of pools % poolstat -p pool_default pset id pool size used load 0 pool_default 8 5.3 10.3 % poolstat -p 'pool_admin pool_default' pset id pool size used load 1 pool_admin 6 4.3 5.3 0 pool_default 2 1.9 2.0 % poolstat -r all -p 'pool_admin pool_default' id pool type rid rset min max size used load 1 pool_admin pset 1 pset_admin 1 1 1 0.9 2.3 2 pool_default pset -1 pset_default 1 65K 2 2.0 2.0 Example 4: Customizing Output The following example customizes output: % poolstat -r -o pool,rset,size,load pool rset size load pool_default pset_default 4 4.5 pool_admin pset_admin 4 2.1 The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. 2 Invalid command line options were specified. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ libpool(3LIB), attributes(5) The system ids associated with resources can change after the system reboots or the resource configuration is altered. 15 Feb 2005 poolstat(1M)