Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ufsdump and migration
Operating Systems Solaris Ufsdump and migration Post 302993560 by drysdalk on Saturday 11th of March 2017 06:11:32 AM
Old 03-11-2017
Hi,

I'd definitely agree with what others have said here for sure. In my own experience of server migrations, you want to have a clean install of everything on the new server (the OS and all needed applications), then after it's all up and running you deal with copying across content and configuration files from the old server.

Now if you were going from one server to another that was absolutely 100% identical in every single way then maybe you could get away with just transferring the whole filesystem across, but even then, I'd personally always be a bit concerned about doing things that way these days.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ufsdump

I want to try using Ufsdump for backups . The man pages state that the file systems should be inactive or be in the unmounted state . But for that system should be in single User mode. My query is that can we perform Ufsdump in run-level 3 ? And if no should I have to reboot it in Single user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ufsdump

hi i would like to backup my OS what is the exact command to do? beside backup to tapes can i back up to a directory in another server? will the command be the same? thanks. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
4 Replies

3. Solaris

ufsdump

Hi, I want to how to take backup of File system From Disk to Disk using ufsdump? Wheather we can take the backup of root file system from one disk to another if tape drive is not available? wheather it is reliable to restore root file system? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ufsdump

Hi, I have 5 soraris boxes and i am trying to backup all to SAN.Which backup is more suitable tar or ufsdump? Also pls mention what are the important folders i need to back up. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem with ufsdump

Hi All Please help I am trying to dump /var to other disk with below command # ufsdump 0uf /backup /var and i am getting below error DUMP: NEEDS ATTENTION: Cannot open 'sun1/dump' . Do you want to retry the open? ( "Yes" or "No" ) and it's not moving ahead. What am i am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
6 Replies

6. Solaris

ufsdump a dir?

Is there a way to backup a single directory with ufsdump, or is tar better for that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies

7. Solaris

ufsdump

Experts, Before patching am advised to take backup : so am going with: ufsdump -0uf /dev/rmt0 / ---> to take the whole / bkp to tape. some servers have /var in diff slice, In this case whether i need to take backup of /var also in tape? ufsdump -ouf /dev/rmt0 /var ---> to take... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fizan
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Ufsdump Solaris 11

Hello, i have a solaris 11 sparc64 and Im trying to do a backup to tape. This is the display: # ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cbn /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2 DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: February 27, 2013 01:58:23 PM CET DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch DUMP: Dumping /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2 to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferch13
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX - FC Switch migration, SAN Migration question!

I'm New to AIX / VIOS We're doing a FC switch cutover on an ibm device, connected via SAN. How do I tell if one path to my remote disk is lost? (aix lvm) How do I tell when my link is down on my HBA port? Appreciate your help, very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Server migration - using ufsdump

hi all, i am refreshing my hardware, but i do not want to do a clean installation/reinstallation. I am wondering if i could do - do a ufsdump of the / partition (into a file on a nfs share) - bootup using cdrom in the new machine - mount the boot device/slice, and restore the ufsdump on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
7 Replies
XkbGetIndicatorState(3) 					   XKB FUNCTIONS					   XkbGetIndicatorState(3)

NAME
XkbGetIndicatorState - Obtains the current state of the keyboard indicators SYNOPSIS
Status XkbGetIndicatorState (Display *display, unsigned int device_spec, unsigned int state_return); ARGUMENTS
- display connection to the X server - device_spec device ID, or XkbUseCoreKbd - state_return backfilled with a mask of the indicator state DESCRIPTION
Xkb allows applications to obtain information about indicators using two different methods. The first method, which is similar to the core X implementation, uses a mask to specify the indicators. The second method, which is more suitable for applications concerned with interop- erability, uses indicator names. The correspondence between the indicator name and the bit position in masks is as follows: one of the parameters returned from XkbGetNamedIndicators is an index that is the bit position to use in any function call that requires a mask of indicator bits, as well as the indicator's index into the XkbIndicatorRec array of indicator maps. XkbGetIndicatorState queries the display for the state of the indicators on the device specified by the device_spec. For each indicator that is "turned on" on the device, the associated bit is set in state_return. If a compatible version of the Xkb extension is not avail- able in the server, XkbGetIndicatorState returns a BadMatch error. Otherwise, it sends the request to the X server, places the state of the indicators into state_return, and returns Success. Thus the value reported by XkbGetIndicatorState is identical to the value reported by the core protocol. DIAGNOSTICS
BadMatch A compatible version of Xkb was not available in the server or an argument has correct type and range, but is otherwise invalid SEE ALSO
XkbGetNamedIndicators(3) X Version 11 libX11 1.6.0 XkbGetIndicatorState(3)