Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Daily script taking increasingly longer each day Post 302993526 by Threeze on Friday 10th of March 2017 03:48:37 PM
Old 03-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Because this runs on lots of servers, you should use the very data you are getting to see if the problem is localized to a few servers, or generally spread across all of them. Not clear to me you did this.

Parallel is also obfuscating granularity for process observation. One process that does something outrageous may not show itself right away. You may have to resort to using the time command on each process and look for outliers. But first you must find at least one poster child server that clearly runs slower today compared with a while back.
I looked at specific server trends over time and there is no incremental pattern while looking at a single box -- it could be 20 seconds lower the second day, 40 seconds higher the third, etc. This variability is probably due to two factors: the general activity on the target box (if it's working hard it may respond more slowly), and the fact that the local process could be resource impacted due to parallel maxing out connections.

Quote:
One more. In thinking about the system design, why do you not put the onus of processing on each remote?
I would love to but I have a restriction of not being allowed to write anything to any of the remote servers. Another factor is that these servers are constantly flipping between up and down due to maintenance and a crontab script would not run reliably.

Quote:
Why would you do this?
The idea was to get ahead of potential problems or catch things that other monitoring tools weren't looking at. It is not the solution I wanted, but it's what someone higher up signed off on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInGermany
Do you have shared resources like NFS?
Hundreds of parallel df can cause load in the NFS server, and increase execution time.

Run an ssh job manually with "time", stop your monitoring engine and run the ssh job again. Compare the execution times.
Yes, actually. The SCP segment of the code downloads to an NFS parition... I will investigate this.

Thank you for your suggestions! Smilie I'll let you know how things go when I dig into this.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Telnet connection to Sco Unixware from Windows 2000 taking longer !!!

Telnet connection to SCO Unixware server taking longer to return the Login prompt !!! Thanx in advance for any suggestions or help in this regard . Cheers KBiswas (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kbiswas
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a script to do daily backups

So I have a set of directories and files that I need to backup from /directory1/ to /directory2/ each night. I have some UNIX/SSH knowledge but don't assume I know a whole lot b/c I would hate to screw something up. Here's the knowledge I have: I can access my server via SSH and can navigate to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPigford
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a shell script to find whether the first day of the month is a working day

Hi , I am relatively new to unix... Can u pls help me out to find out if the first day of the month is a working day ie from (Monday to Friday)...using Date and If clause in Korn shell.. This is very urgent. Thanks for ur help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find previous month last day minus one day timestamp

Hi All, I need to find the previous month last day minus one day, using shell script. Can you guys help me to do this. My Requirment is as below: Input for me will be 2000909(YYYYMM) I need the previous months last day minus 1 day timestamp. That is i need 2000908 months last day minus ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run a .sh script daily

Hi, I juat wondering how can you set it up so that .sh files will execute automatically once a day. from google I've got use crontab but when I type this into my session it say I am not allowed to use this programme. Any other ways to achieve what I'm looking for? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blackieconnors
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check if last modified day is previous day

Hi, I would like to write a script that checks if a file ('counter') was modified the previous day, if so erase its contents and write 00000000 into it. For e.g. if the file 'counter' was last modified at 11.30pm on 24th May and the script runs at 12.15am of 25th May, it should erase it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hegdepras
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for daily use

I have a clear case command for example. ct lsprivate -co this displays the list of checked out files. and i have many views where i work daily I need a script which can run daily at our specified time. setting each and every view i have and list the check outs i have in them. and consolidate... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syed Imran
10 Replies

8. Solaris

Copy via samba on vmware workstation with Solaris taking much longer than usual

i have a vmware workstation with solaris 10 installed on this. i copying 2 gb data via samba from windows to this vmware workstation. copy speed is 24 kb/sec. how i can speed up this copy process ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script is not longer working in the crontab

This is the crontab it is supossed to be running everyday but it didnt 5 0 * * * /export/app/CO/opge/scr/Informe_parametros_colombia.ksh >/dev/null 2>&1 Inside the above script connects to a database and extract data to a flat file, manually i run the script at about 2 a.m. and Works OK,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
6 Replies