Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot find correct syntax to make file name uppercase letters Post 302993424 by digioleg54 on Thursday 9th of March 2017 01:47:18 PM
Old 03-09-2017
Cannot find correct syntax to make file name uppercase letters

I have a file name :
Code:
 var=UsrAccChgRpt

I want to make them upper case.
Tried:
Code:
 $var | tr [a z A Z]

Error:

Code:
tr: Invalid combination of options and Strings.
Usage: tr [ [-c|-C] | -[c|C]ds | -[c|C]s | -ds | -s ] [-A] String1 String2
tr { -[c|C]d | -[c|C]s | -d | -s } [-A] String1

Could you please help. I am using AIX Bourne shell

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I find the 3 first letters from the name file

Hello, I have a name file in Unix for example : ABC_TODAYFirst.001 and I want just capture or display the 3 first letters so : ABC. I tried with cut -c,1-3 and the name but it displays the 3 first letters of all lines. Can you help , Thanks a lot (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make uppercase

If in a script I am taking an input (R201) for example and assigning it to a variable, how would I change the R to uppercase if it was keyed in as r201? I can't seem to get it to work with toupper (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirkm76
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plz correct my syntax of shell script

Dear all I am still bit new in shell script area.I am writing down a shell script which I guess somewhere wrong so please kindly correct it. I would be greatful for that. What I actually want from this shell script is that it will move all the files one by one to another server which can be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

if [ $NOWDATE -gt $STARTDATE ] , date comparison correct syntax?

i've looked at a bunch of the date comparison threads on these boards but unfortunately not been able to figure this thing out yet. still confused by some of the way conditionals handle variables... here is what i where i am now... # a bunch of initializition steps are here ...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danpaluska
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Correct syntax

Hi, I want to check if file(s) exist even in subdirectories and perform an action. After searching here couldn't find solution that would work, but made my own solution that works fine: if then echo egrep "$1|$2|$3" `find| grep MLOG` else echo "MLOG does not exist" fiThat will check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vitoriung
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for three or four Uppercase Letters within a file

Looking how to find only three or four letter strings using grep in a file called hello: file contains: TIT TAT RATA ERAT RATE HI RE CA PA CHANGE SANDY ANSWER I am using the code: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: auerbeck.tyler
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make the first character uppercase

Input: hello world monkey Output should be: Hello World Monkey How can it be done with perl,sed,awk or bash? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do syntax is correct ?

I tried with sed command to create a space between namespace from the XML file. I used this syntax. Can someone tell me is this syntax is vaild? /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e 's/<\/^.*><^.:Errort>/<\/^.*> <^.:Errort>/g' test > test2 I dint find any changes or any space being created between... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to find number of uppercase and lowercase letters.

Hello Guys, I am writing a script which check each line for how many Uppercase and Lowercase letter of a given file. Please check my script as follow: l=0 while read line do echo Line `expr $l + 1` has ` tr -cd "" < $line | wc -c` uppercase letters and `tr -cd "" < $line | wc -c`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasparov
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to form a correct syntax to sift out according to complementary patterns with 'find'?

I need to find all files and folders containing keyword from the topmost directory deep down the tree but omitting all references to keyword in web-search logs and entries, i.e. excluding search and browsing history made using web-browser1, web-browser2, web-browser3, (bypassing all entries of the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
8 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)