Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Local variable in a C function is not getting created in stack when its compiled with GCC Post 302993357 by RudiC on Thursday 9th of March 2017 06:57:50 AM
Old 03-09-2017
Although uncommon, I've seen variables (constants) allocated in the code segment, admittedly some (decent) time ago. And, updating it shouldn't corrupt the code nor crash the boot, provided it's size is respected and no adjacent memory is overwritten. Checksums of the code could fail, but they are done upfront, usually, before an update occurred. Or, do you have an unmet condition with the new value and no error handler for such?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

gcc warnings: implicit declaration of function...

I am having strange warnings from gcc compiler, which I don't think should come while cmpiling. Can anyone help? The warnings are: - warning: implicit declaration of function 'bzero' - warning: implicit declaration of function 'inet_addr' The code is as below: int main(int argc, char... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ahsan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable name to be created within a function

Is it possible to pass a variable name, as a parameter to a function, so it can be created within this function ? Something like this: func_uppercase abcdefgh var_name where the 1st parameter is the string I want to convert and the 2nd is the desired variable name... $2=`echo "$1" |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

3. BSD

stack overflow in function psync_status Abort (core dumped)

I am running Open BSD 3.8 (3.5 upgrade) on a Pent Pro. 200, 64 Megs Ram, Nvedia Vanta TNT 16 Megs, Realtech 8139 Nic. When running ifconfig -a I get this error back. I've run searches on google no deal. I can get Stack overflow or psync, but not both. So I would really like to know how to fix it. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmcpreach
0 Replies

4. Linux

gcc compiled executable not working across x86_64 linux platforms

Hi I compiled a hello world program on two different 64-bit Linux machines, named quimby and node0331. When I compile on quimby and run on node0331 I get a "Floating exception (core dumped)" error. But if I do it in reverse, things work fine. Here's my compilation on quimby: $ uname -a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to call a local function within Awk

Hi, I have the following statement which parses a string for me and prints it out: l_comp="dc000.runksh.test.ksh| $g_sql/dc0000.runksh_test.sql|new.dat|control.ctl" echo $l_comp | awk -F"|" '{ for ( i = 1; i <= NF; i++) { print $i; } } ' Rather then printing the data, I would like to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
5 Replies

6. Programming

Created a wrapper for a function in a class.

I have a class called Parsing with the following function. I want to create a wrapper for it, so that I call it using GetReal rather than GetFloat. Bit confused on how to do this. class Parsing { private: int Length; // int Ptr; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

7. Programming

Using ANSI color codes in gcc compiled program

I have put some yellow color codes and works well. I call the funstion using print_usage(stderr, 0); I would like to know if there is any way, to store the ansi color codes in variables and then call them inside fprintf. Or have a format followed by the strings I want to output. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Newly Compiled GCC 4.4.4 on Solaris sparc gives problem with -m32/-m64 flags

Hello experts, This issue has kept me busy all day long. It started off with openssl compilation which was giving linking error with following message: /usr/local/bin/ld: target elf32-sparc not found collect2: ld returned 1 exit status I tried every step possible thing that I could think... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_shanke
2 Replies

9. Programming

[MSYS2/GCC-TDM] Compiler not finding headers in /usr/local/include

I hope it's okay to post this here. I'm working on Windows computer but using the Unix-like environment MSYS2 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2). My problem is that I can't get the compiler to find headers located in /usr/local/include. I am trying to compile libpng which wants the header... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make nested function local?

Hi, If I declare a function inside another function, it overwrites any previously declared function with the same name. This is NOT what I want. Example: #!/bin/bash _test() { echo test; } _myf() { # I'm using the same name as the other function. _test() { echo local test; }... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
8 Replies
pthread_cond_init(3T)													     pthread_cond_init(3T)

NAME
pthread_cond_init(), pthread_cond_destroy() - initialize or destroy a condition variable SYNOPSIS
PARAMETERS
cond Pointer to the condition variable to be initialized or destroyed. attr Pointer to the attributes object that defines the characteristics of the condition variable to be initialized. If the pointer is NULL, default attributes are used. DESCRIPTION
The function initializes the condition variable cond with the attributes attr. If attr is NULL, the default condition variable attributes are used to initialize the attributes object. See pthread_condattr_init(3T) for a list of the default condition variable attributes. After successful initialization, the condition variable may be used in condition variable operations. A condition variable should be ini- tialized only once or the resulting behavior is undefined. The function provides a way to ensure that a condition variable is only ini- tialized once. The macro can be used to initialize condition variables that are statically allocated. These condition variables will be initialized with default attributes. The function does not need to be called for statically initialized condition variables. If the process-shared attribute in the condition variable attributes object referenced by attr is defined as the condition variable must be allocated such that the processes sharing the condition variable have access to it. This may be done through the memory-mapping functions (see mmap(2)) or the shared memory functions (see shmget(2)). destroys the condition variable cond. This function may set cond to an invalid value. The destroyed condition variable can be reinitial- ized using the function If the condition variable is used after destruction in any condition variable call, the resulting behavior is unde- fined. A condition variable should be destroyed only when there are no threads currently blocked on it. Destroying a condition variable that is currently in use results in undefined behavior. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, and return zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error (the variable is not set). ERRORS
If any of the following occur, the function returns the corresponding error number: The system does not have the available resources (other than memory) to initialize the condition variable. The specified condition variable is an already initialized condition variable. However, getting for reinitializing the condition variable cannot be expected all the time since the behavior of reinitializing the condition variable is undefined. The cond parameter points to an illegal address. The value specified by cond or attr is invalid. There is insufficient memory available in which to initialize the condition variable. If any of the following occur, the function returns the corresponding error number: An attempt to destroy cond while it is in use by another thread. cond is not a valid condition variable. WARNINGS
The space for condition variable must be allocated before calling Undefined behavior will result if the process-shared attribute of attr is and the space allocated for the condition variable is not accessible to cooperating threads. AUTHOR
and were derived from the IEEE POSIX P1003.1c standard. SEE ALSO
pthread_cond_signal(3T), pthread_cond_wait(3T). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
Pthread Library pthread_cond_init(3T)