Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How pass the input parameter to a file in the script ? Post 302993123 by kraljic on Tuesday 7th of March 2017 05:41:38 AM
Old 03-07-2017
How pass the input parameter to a file in the script ?

OS version: RHEL 6.7

myTextFile.txt file is referred within Script1.sh script,

I only execute Script1.sh and I want the input variable to be passed inside myTextFile.txt . Any idea how I can do this ?

Code:
$ cat script1.sh
cat myTextFile.txt

$ cat myTextFile.txt
$1

Requirement1.
When I execute script1 like below, the input parameter should be passed inside myTextFile.txt

Code:
script1.sh <inputParameter>

But, it only prints the following with my current script

Code:
$ ./script1.sh hello
$1

Requiremen2:
I want the value that is passed as the parameter to be enclosed in single quotes in the output. In the above example , the string hello is passed as the parameter and I want the output to be 'hello'

Expected output:
Code:
$ ./script1.sh hello
'hello'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass Parameter to Another Script

I have a piece of code that I do not want to continuously repeat. I want to call script2 from script1 and pass a parameter. Here is an example: Script1: ....... nohup ./Script2 PARAMETER ....... Script2: if # Checks if any params. then echo "No parameters passed to function." ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvprod
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a file as input and pass each line to another script

Hi, I am trying to write a ftp script which will read a file for filenames and ftp those files to another server. Here's my ftp script, but it's scanning the current directory for file names. My question is how can I pass multiple files (these files will have the name of data files that need to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajjad02
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter into script

I would like to write a scirpt a.sh that it first checks the first parameter of the input. If it fulfill some condition ,then run an executable program b by using all the parameter. ie. > ./a.sh 10 20 30 40 50 Then a.sh first checks the first parameter, 10, if it mathes the requirement, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass input and output file as parameter to awk script

Hi, i am new to awk. I am using csv2pipe script(shown below) BEGIN { FS=SUBSEP; OFS="|" } { result = setcsv($0, ",") print } # setcsv(str, sep) - parse CSV (MS specification) input # str, the string to be parsed. (Most likely $0.) # sep, the separator between the values. # #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskarjha178
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass string as a parameter in a script

Hi friends. i am newbie to shell scripting. I need to create a script where i will be passing 2 parameters to the script and based on that it should work. For ex: start_proc a 2 or start_proc b 2 start_proc a 2 --- this should bring up 2 processes as i define inside the script. start_proc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: friscouser
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass value from file to parameter

Hi Guys, I have a file in the format Parmater=value. I want to read the value and pass it to corresponding Variable. The Parameter file is as follows Number=23 Text1=mango Text2=yup 'Number' value needs to be read and passed to ID variable. Also, 'Text1' value needs to be passed to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the password as input parameter to scp

Dear all Does anybody know how to pass the password as input parameter to scp or rsync in unix scripts? I have tried echo <password> | scp filename username@<ip address>:/filepath/ . But it does not work. BTW, I dont want to setup ssh trust between servers in this adhoc task. Regards,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldonlck
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the parameter in xml file in UNIX shell script?

Hi, I have an XML file like the following... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <ONDEMAND_JOB VERSION="5.1" LOCALE="en_US"> <IMPORT_JOBSET TC_CONNECTION_NAME="default" ENVIRONMENT="PRD" USERNAME="Administrator" PASSWORD="AdminPassword" CALENDAR="Main Monthly Calendar"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debalina Roy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the parameter in xml file in UNIX shell script?

Hi, I have an XML file like the following... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <ONDEMAND_JOB VERSION="5.1" LOCALE="en_US"> <IMPORT_JOBSET TC_CONNECTION_NAME="default" ENVIRONMENT="PRD" USERNAME="Administrator" PASSWORD="AdminPassword" CALENDAR="Main Monthly Calendar"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debalina Roy
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need list of input and output parameter of task in a text file, using shell script

//file begin ===== //some code task abcd_; input x; input y,z; //some comment output w; //some comment reg p; integer q; begin //some code end endtask : abcd_ //some code //file end ===== expected output from above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rishifrnds
1 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)