Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with (Understanding) function Post 302993116 by matrois on Tuesday 7th of March 2017 05:09:50 AM
Old 03-07-2017
Problem with (Understanding) function

I have this code

Code:
#!/bin/bash

LZ () {
RETVAL="\n$(date +%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S) --- "
return RETVAL
}

echo -e $LZ"Test"
sleep 3
echo -e $LZ"Test"

which I want to use to make logentrys on my NAS. I expect of this code that there would be output like

Code:
2017-03-07_11-00-00 --- Test

2017-03-07_11-00-03 --- Test

But I get (without the three seconds difference)
Code:

Who knows the solution of my problem? I thank you for every hint and help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

having problem in understanding namei module

can anyone give me some idea on unix filesystem namei's algorithsm (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kangc
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep understanding problem

Hi, Can anyone please let me know the meaning of this line,i am not able to understand the egrep part(egrep '^{1,2}).This will search for this combination in beginning but what does the values in {}signifies here. /bin/echo $WhenToRun | egrep '^{1,2}:$' >/dev/null (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for understanding a function

There is a function called start: start() { echo -n $"Sending Startup Email: " echo "${RESTARTBODY}" | mutt -s "${RESTARTSUBJECT}" ${EMAIL} RETVAL=$? if ; then touch ${LOCKFILE} success else failure fi echo return ${RETVAL} } Can anyone explain what the bold part of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with the shell script for understanding

Can Anybody please tell me the meaning of the script: #!/bin/sh str=$@ echo $str | sed 's/.*\\//' exit 0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem understanding Paths

If I don't explain my issue well enough, I apologize ahead of time, extreme newbie here to scripting. I'm currently learning scripting from books and have moved on to the text Wicked Cool Shell Scripts by Dave Taylor, but there are still basic concepts that I'm having trouble understanding. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chasman78
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in understanding export uses

i am beginner in shell scripting. not able to understand what below line will do. PS1=${HOST:=Žuname -nŽ}"$ " ; export PS1 HOST below is the script #!/bin/hash PS1=${HOST:=Žuname -nŽ}"$ " ; export PS1 HOST ; echo $PS1 and i getting the below output Žuname -nŽ$ (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
25 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem on understanding the regexp command

Hi all, I'm not clear of this regexp command: regexp {(\S+)\/+$} $String match GetString From my observation and testing, if $String is abc/def/gh $GetString will be abc/def I don't understand how the /gh in $String got eliminated. Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar85
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in understanding debugging

Hi i was going through the script debugging technique. below example was given in the book. 1 #!/bin/sh 2 3 Failed() { 4 if ; then 5 echo "Failed. Exiting." ; exit 1 ; 6 fi 7 echo "Done." 8 } 9 10 echo "Deleting old backups,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help understanding a function

Hello, I recently started going in depth with the shell, so I started learning from Linux Shell Scripting CookBook, 2nd edition. I am at the first chapter atm, and the author tells to define a function in the ~/.bashrc. The function is below. prepend() { && eval $1=\"$2':'\$$1\" && export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vaseer
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding an example of perl map() function

Hello, I have many folders under which there is always a file with the same name, which contains the data I need to process later. A perl oneliner was borrowed perl -e 'print "gene_id\t", join("\t", map {/(.*)\//; $1} @ARGV),"\n";' *_test.trim/level.csvto make a header so that each column... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies
SYSTEM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SYSTEM(3)

NAME
system - execute a shell command SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int system(const char *string); DESCRIPTION
system() executes a command specified in string by calling /bin/sh -c string, and returns after the command has been completed. During execution of the command, SIGCHLD will be blocked, and SIGINT and SIGQUIT will be ignored. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is -1 on error (e.g. fork failed), and the return status of the command otherwise. This latter return status is in the format specified in wait(2). Thus, the exit code of the command will be WEXITSTATUS(status). In case /bin/sh could not be executed, the exit status will be that of a command that does exit(127). If the value of string is NULL, system() returns nonzero if the shell is available, and zero if not. system() does not affect the wait status of any other children. CONFORMING TO
ANSI C, POSIX.2, BSD 4.3 NOTES
As mentioned, system() ignores SIGINT and SIGQUIT. This may make programs that call it from a loop uninterruptable, unless they take care themselves to check the exit status of the child. E.g. while(something) { int ret = system("foo"); if (WIFSIGNALED(ret) && (WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGINT || WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGQUIT)) break; } Do not use system() from a program with suid or sgid privileges, because strange values for some environment variables might be used to subvert system integrity. Use the exec(3) family of functions instead, but not execlp(3) or execvp(3). system() will not, in fact, work properly from programs with suid or sgid privileges on systems on which /bin/sh is bash version 2, since bash 2 drops privileges on startup. (Debian uses a modified bash which does not do this when invoked as sh.) The check for the availability of /bin/sh is not actually performed; it is always assumed to be available. ISO C specifies the check, but POSIX.2 specifies that the return shall always be non-zero, since a system without the shell is not conforming, and it is this that is implemented. It is possible for the shell command to return 127, so that code is not a sure indication that the execve() call failed. SEE ALSO
sh(1), signal(2), wait(2), exec(3) 2001-09-23 SYSTEM(3)