Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Problems after deleting /var/tmp Post 302993105 by drysdalk on Tuesday 7th of March 2017 02:48:43 AM
Old 03-07-2017
Hi,

What permissions did you set on /var/tmp when you restored it ? Speaking from my own experience on Linux and Solaris systems (and from some quick Googlings, this should apparently also be the case in recent releases of HP-UX) this is a directory that needs to have the sticky bit set, as well as being globally writeable.

In other words, it should have permissions that look like this:

Code:
$ ls -ld /var/tmp
drwxrwxrwt 25 root root 4096 Mar  3 17:22 /var/tmp

If it doesn't have permissions of 1777, then this could be the cause of your problems. Can you confirm what permissions you set on it when you re-created it ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process responsible for filling up /var/tmp

Hi, Help ! - I have a process which I cannot find that is writing to /var/tmp every 10 minutes and filling up my partition, it is also filling up my wtmpx file. I have some software error correction for a faulty DIMM at the moment - is this likely to be causing this as well as over-loading my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mal
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

default permission of /var/tmp in AIX

I'm getting an error when trying to vi my .profile. This is the first time I've logged onto this machine and apparently its rarely logged into. I'm assuming from the error that it's a permissions problem in the /var/tmp directory. Can anyone assist? $ uname -a AIX machine 1 5 000D96BF4C00 $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Usage of /var/tmp/ directory on Solaris 10

Hi All, I have some threaded applications. Design of the application is such that one thread will decode some data and put it in data structure, And main thread will wait for another child threads pick up the decoded data. The data will be large decoded files. Once decoded data is picked by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilmuragesh
1 Replies

5. Solaris

permission of /var/tmp

what's the impact if I change /var/tmp's permission into 750? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
7 Replies

6. Linux

/var/tmp/slapd.log.swp delete?

Hi All, Can I delete the above file? It's big, about 1G. It's on a redhat ent 4 with ldap on it. Is that safe to delete? It wasn't been used for already a month and it's in the backup storage. Thanks for any comment you may add. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

7. Solaris

urgent: single-user-mode, /var/tmp read-only

this is the situation: Power outage. Root mirror (svm). it goes to single-user-mode, asking for fsck. Fsck suceeds for one disk, but fail for the other. I can't use vi-editor, it says /var/tmp/Xz12a is a read-only file system. I need to break the mirror, there's no copy of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sun Fire
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

[Errno 22] invalid mode ('w') or filename: '//var/lib/yum/rpmdb-indexes/conflicts.tmp'

Can anyone help me with this error? sudo yum install perl-Gtk2-WebKit Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit, versionlock Setting up Install Process Resolving Dependencies --> Running transaction check ---> Package perl-Gtk2-WebKit.i686 0:0.09-1.fc15 will be installed -->... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with deleting punctuation and apostrophes

Dear All, I have a file which I want to get the list of frequency of each word, ignoring list of stop words and now I have problems which punctuations and " 's ". what I am doing is: sed 's///g' file01.txt > file01-clear.txt cat file01-clear.txt | tr "" ""| tr ' ' '\012' |sort |uniq -c... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh , how to set var value into new var, in short string concatenation

i try to find way to make string concatenation in csh ( sorry this is what i have ) so i found out i can't do : set string_buff = "" foreach line("`cat $source_dir/$f`") $string_buff = string_buff $line end how can i do string concatenation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies
xfs_estimate(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   xfs_estimate(8)

NAME
xfs_estimate - estimate the space that an XFS filesystem will take SYNOPSIS
xfs_estimate [ -h ] [ -b blocksize ] [ -i logsize ] [ -e logsize ] [ -v ] directory ... xfs_estimate -V DESCRIPTION
For each directory argument, xfs_estimate estimates the space that directory would take if it were copied to an XFS filesystem. xfs_esti- mate does not cross mount points. The following definitions are used: KB = *1024 MB = *1024*1024 GB = *1024*1024*1024 The xfs_estimate options are: -b blocksize Use blocksize instead of the default blocksize of 4096 bytes. The modifier k can be used after the number to indicate multiplica- tion by 1024. For example, xfs_estimate -b 64k / requests an estimate of the space required by the directory / on an XFS filesystem using a blocksize of 64K (65536) bytes. -v Display more information, formatted. -h Display usage message. -i, -e logsize Use logsize instead of the default log size of 1000 blocks. -i refers to an internal log, while -e refers to an external log. The modifiers k or m can be used after the number to indicate multiplication by 1024 or 1048576, respectively. For example, xfs_estimate -i 1m / requests an estimate of the space required by the directory / on an XFS filesystem using an internal log of 1 megabyte. -V Print the version number and exits. EXAMPLES
% xfs_estimate -e 10m /var/tmp /var/tmp will take about 4.2 megabytes with the external log using 2560 blocks or about 10.0 megabytes % xfs_estimate -v -e 10m /var/tmp directory bsize blocks megabytes logsize /var/tmp 4096 792 4.0MB 10485760 % xfs_estimate -v /var/tmp directory bsize blocks megabytes logsize /var/tmp 4096 3352 14.0MB 10485760 % xfs_estimate /var/tmp /var/tmp will take about 14.0 megabytes xfs_estimate(8)