Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command to print columns with space Post 302993076 by drysdalk on Monday 6th of March 2017 02:47:19 PM
Old 03-06-2017
Hi,

Is it possible for you to use some other field delimiter in the input ? So for example, using commas between fields rather than spaces:

Host1,UNIX,/vol/volume/my stuff

This way, you'd be able to accommodate paths with spaces (though not with commas, naturally - you'd then have the same problem again). Or you could use tab characters rather than spaces, since it should be impossible for those to occur in a path under most conceivable conditions.

That'd be my recommendation, anyway: rather than finding creative ways to handle this one special case, use something other than spaces that will never occur in a valid path to separate your input fields so that paths with any number of spaces will be fine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to space columns in a report

I have a program that calculates shipping cost for an item and prints the information to a file. I cannot seem to get the lines to print with equal spacing in columns. I need data like this to be aligned into columns: Optical Mouse 5 A $25 Compaq Presario 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: turbulence
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to add space in between columns in VI editor

Hi, I am trying to add space after 3rd and 6th column for editing a file in special format. How should I achieve in VI?. So, is it possible to do in it in sed ? thanks vipa (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with delimiting columns with a space

Hi all, i am writting a script to fix some problems we have with data that we need that contains 1000s of records. I have a text file with 3 columns of data. The problem is there should be a space between the end of the first column and the start of the second column. The majority of the data is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command for add 2 columns and remove 2 columns in unix/performance tuning

Hi all, I have created a script which adding two columns and removing two columns for all files. Filename: Cust_information_1200_201010.txt Source Data: "1","Cust information","123","106001","street","1-203 high street" "1","Cust information","124","105001","street","1-203 high street" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed command to print specific string between word and blank space

My source is on each line 98.194.245.255 - - "GET /disp0201.php?poc=4060&roc=1&ps=R&ooc=13&mjv=6&mov=5&rel=5&bod=155&oxi=2&omj=5&ozn=1&dav=20&cd=&daz=&drc=&mo=&sid=&lang=EN&loc=JPN HTTP/1.1" 302 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to print multiple columns

Hello Team, I have written following command which is giving output is as shown below. bash-3.00$ grep -i startup catalina.out | tail +2 | sed -n 1p | awk -F" " '{ for (x=1; x<=5; x++) { printf"%s\n", $x } }' Dec 19, 2010 3:28:39 PM bash-3.00$ I would like to modify above command to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help needed: remove space between certain columns

dear all, i have a data looks like this (i have 3000 columns): rs123 A T T G C C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A A ... rs154 T T G C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A T T G ... rs126 A C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A A A T T G ... I want to remove all the space after the 2nd column and make the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Columns to rows with space

Hi, My input is in the following way a b c d e f I would like to have it printed as a b c d e f Any awk scripts are appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Romove columns and replace a space with a character

Hi, I have a file containing this: testvol1 unix enabled testvol2 unix enabled testvol3 unix enabled testvol3 qtree1 unix enabled testvol3 qtree2 unix enabled testvol4 unix enabled testvol4 qtree1 unix enabled And I want an output of this: testvol1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niap21
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use "awk" to print columns from different files in separate columns?

Hi, I'm trying to copy and paste the sixth column from a bunch of files into a single file having each column pasted in separate columns (and not one after each other in just one column.) I tried this code but works only partially because it copied and pasted 50 rows of each column... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frastra
6 Replies
LSNS(8) 						       System Administration							   LSNS(8)

NAME
lsns - list namespaces SYNOPSIS
lsns [options] [namespace] DESCRIPTION
lsns lists information about all the currently accessible namespaces or about the given namespace. The namespace identifier is an inode number. The default output is subject to change. So whenever possible, you should avoid using default outputs in your scripts. Always explicitly define expected columns by using the --output option together with a columns list in environments where a stable output is required. Note that lsns reads information directly from the /proc filesystem and for non-root users it may return incomplete information. The cur- rent /proc filesystem may be unshared and affected by a PID namespace (see unshare --mount-proc for more details). lsns is not able to see persistent namespaces without processes where the namespace instance is held by a bind mount to /proc/pid/ns/type. OPTIONS
-J, --json Use JSON output format. -l, --list Use list output format. -n, --noheadings Do not print a header line. -o, --output list Specify which output columns to print. Use --help to get a list of all supported columns. The default list of columns may be extended if list is specified in the format +list (e.g. lsns -o +PATH). -p, --task pid Display only the namespaces held by the process with this pid. -r, --raw Use the raw output format. -t, --type type Display the specified type of namespaces only. The supported types are mnt, net, ipc, user, pid, uts and cgroup. This option may be given more than once. -u, --notruncate Do not truncate text in columns. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. AUTHORS
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> SEE ALSO
nsenter(1), unshare(1), clone(2), namespaces(7) AVAILABILITY
The lsns command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux December 2015 LSNS(8)