Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command to print columns with space Post 302993072 by fmalvest on Monday 6th of March 2017 02:31:55 PM
Old 03-06-2017
Command to print columns with space

Hello I am trying to pull specific columns from an output file that contains spaces and make it a variable.. Here is a piece of the output file and my command:

Code:
Host1 UNIX /vol/volume/my stuff

When I pull in the data into my variable the word stuff is left off - I need this as part of my variable

Code:
cat $OUTFILE2 | while read SHARES

do
SHARE_NAMES=$SHARES
SVM=`echo $SHARE_NAMES | awk '{print $1}'`
CIFS_SHARE=`echo $SHARE_NAMES | awk '{print $2}'`
PATH_NAME=`echo $SHARE_NAMES | awk '{print $3}'`

echo "vserver cifs share create -vserver" $SVM "-share-name" $CIFS_SHARE "-path" $PATH_NAME >> $SCRIPT
done

This is what the output needs to look like:

Code:
vserver cifs share create -vserver Host1 -share-name UNIX -path /vol/volume/my stuff

but getting

Code:
vserver cifs share create -vserver Host1 -share-name UNIX -path /vol/volume/my

here is what I tried so far and no luck:
Code:
# PATH_NAME=`echo $SHARE_NAMES | awk '{print $3}'`
# PATH_NAME=`echo $SHARE_NAMES | awk -F"\t" '{print $3}'`
# PATH_NAME=`echo $SHARE_NAMES | awk -F'\t' '{print $3}'`
# PATH_NAME=`echo $SHARE_NAMES | awk -F" {2,}" '{print $3}'`
# PATH_NAME=`echo $SHARE_NAMES | awk " -F \" '{print $3}'`

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-06-2017 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: code tags; removed spurious formatting

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to space columns in a report

I have a program that calculates shipping cost for an item and prints the information to a file. I cannot seem to get the lines to print with equal spacing in columns. I need data like this to be aligned into columns: Optical Mouse 5 A $25 Compaq Presario 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: turbulence
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to add space in between columns in VI editor

Hi, I am trying to add space after 3rd and 6th column for editing a file in special format. How should I achieve in VI?. So, is it possible to do in it in sed ? thanks vipa (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with delimiting columns with a space

Hi all, i am writting a script to fix some problems we have with data that we need that contains 1000s of records. I have a text file with 3 columns of data. The problem is there should be a space between the end of the first column and the start of the second column. The majority of the data is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command for add 2 columns and remove 2 columns in unix/performance tuning

Hi all, I have created a script which adding two columns and removing two columns for all files. Filename: Cust_information_1200_201010.txt Source Data: "1","Cust information","123","106001","street","1-203 high street" "1","Cust information","124","105001","street","1-203 high street" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed command to print specific string between word and blank space

My source is on each line 98.194.245.255 - - "GET /disp0201.php?poc=4060&roc=1&ps=R&ooc=13&mjv=6&mov=5&rel=5&bod=155&oxi=2&omj=5&ozn=1&dav=20&cd=&daz=&drc=&mo=&sid=&lang=EN&loc=JPN HTTP/1.1" 302 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to print multiple columns

Hello Team, I have written following command which is giving output is as shown below. bash-3.00$ grep -i startup catalina.out | tail +2 | sed -n 1p | awk -F" " '{ for (x=1; x<=5; x++) { printf"%s\n", $x } }' Dec 19, 2010 3:28:39 PM bash-3.00$ I would like to modify above command to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help needed: remove space between certain columns

dear all, i have a data looks like this (i have 3000 columns): rs123 A T T G C C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A A ... rs154 T T G C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A T T G ... rs126 A C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A A A T T G ... I want to remove all the space after the 2nd column and make the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Columns to rows with space

Hi, My input is in the following way a b c d e f I would like to have it printed as a b c d e f Any awk scripts are appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Romove columns and replace a space with a character

Hi, I have a file containing this: testvol1 unix enabled testvol2 unix enabled testvol3 unix enabled testvol3 qtree1 unix enabled testvol3 qtree2 unix enabled testvol4 unix enabled testvol4 qtree1 unix enabled And I want an output of this: testvol1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niap21
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use "awk" to print columns from different files in separate columns?

Hi, I'm trying to copy and paste the sixth column from a bunch of files into a single file having each column pasted in separate columns (and not one after each other in just one column.) I tried this code but works only partially because it copied and pasted 50 rows of each column... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frastra
6 Replies
Text::Wrap(3pm) 					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					   Text::Wrap(3pm)

NAME
Text::Wrap - line wrapping to form simple paragraphs SYNOPSIS
Example 1 use Text::Wrap $initial_tab = " "; # Tab before first line $subsequent_tab = ""; # All other lines flush left print wrap($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); print fill($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); @lines = wrap($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); @paragraphs = fill($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); Example 2 use Text::Wrap qw(wrap $columns $huge); $columns = 132; # Wrap at 132 characters $huge = 'die'; $huge = 'wrap'; $huge = 'overflow'; Example 3 use Text::Wrap $Text::Wrap::columns = 72; print wrap('', '', @text); DESCRIPTION
"Text::Wrap::wrap()" is a very simple paragraph formatter. It formats a single paragraph at a time by breaking lines at word boundries. Indentation is controlled for the first line ($initial_tab) and all subsequent lines ($subsequent_tab) independently. Please note: $ini- tial_tab and $subsequent_tab are the literal strings that will be used: it is unlikley you would want to pass in a number. Text::Wrap::fill() is a simple multi-paragraph formatter. It formats each paragraph separately and then joins them together when it's done. It will destory any whitespace in the original text. It breaks text into paragraphs by looking for whitespace after a newline. In other respects it acts like wrap(). OVERRIDES
"Text::Wrap::wrap()" has a number of variables that control its behavior. Because other modules might be using "Text::Wrap::wrap()" it is suggested that you leave these variables alone! If you can't do that, then use "local($Text::Wrap::VARIABLE) = YOURVALUE" when you change the values so that the original value is restored. This "local()" trick will not work if you import the variable into your own namespace. Lines are wrapped at $Text::Wrap::columns columns. $Text::Wrap::columns should be set to the full width of your output device. In fact, every resulting line will have length of no more than "$columns - 1". It is possible to control which characters terminate words by modifying $Text::Wrap::break. Set this to a string such as '[s:]' (to break before spaces or colons) or a pre-compiled regexp such as "qr/[s']/" (to break before spaces or apostrophes). The default is simply 's'; that is, words are terminated by spaces. (This means, among other things, that trailing punctuation such as full stops or commas stay with the word they are "attached" to.) Beginner note: In example 2, above $columns is imported into the local namespace, and set locally. In example 3, $Text::Wrap::columns is set in its own namespace without importing it. "Text::Wrap::wrap()" starts its work by expanding all the tabs in its input into spaces. The last thing it does it to turn spaces back into tabs. If you do not want tabs in your results, set $Text::Wrap::unexapand to a false value. Likewise if you do not want to use 8-character tabstops, set $Text::Wrap::tabstop to the number of characters you do want for your tabstops. If you want to separate your lines with something other than " " then set $Text::Wrap::seporator to your preference. When words that are longer than $columns are encountered, they are broken up. "wrap()" adds a " " at column $columns. This behavior can be overridden by setting $huge to 'die' or to 'overflow'. When set to 'die', large words will cause "die()" to be called. When set to 'overflow', large words will be left intact. Historical notes: 'die' used to be the default value of $huge. Now, 'wrap' is the default value. EXAMPLE
print wrap(" ","","This is a bit of text that forms a normal book-style paragraph"); AUTHOR
David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com> with help from Tim Pierce and many many others. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Text::Wrap(3pm)